A return of the Unity Council?

Nebraska obviously lacked good team chemistry in 2007. No newsflash there. However, I do think the chemistry issue was overlooked somewhat among all the other problems.

So, maybe it's time for Nebraska to revive the Unity Council, the 17-player leadership entity that began in 1991 before being dismantled when Bill Callahan took over as head coach in 2004.

Tom Osborne has expressed interest in reviving it, said former Husker team psychologist Jack Stark, who created the program and now uses forms of it with other teams, including NASCAR and Nebraska-Omaha hockey.

"There's been initial discussion (to bring it back to NU), but nothing's been finalized," Stark said Wednesday.

The Unity Council at Nebraska featured eight players apiece from offense and defense plus one kicker. Unity Council members, elected by their peers, met on Tuesdays, "and we went through everything," Stark said. "We dealt with all of the issues and problems that needed work."

For instance, if a player missed classes or was slacking in practice, the Unity Council might issue a stern reprimand. Plus, players had a voice in various team matters. Team unity improved dramatically, Stark said.

The impetus for creating the Unity Council occurred at the end of the 1990 season, when Nebraska was flat in losing 45-21 to Georgia Tech in the Florida Citrus Bowl. Osborne, then the head coach, was incensed. He had seen enough, Stark recalled.

"I'm telling you, assistant coaches were being evaluated (after that season)," Stark said. "They were scared. They were working overtime, 90 hours a week. We had kind of gotten comfortable."

Life became fairly uncomfortable on Stadium Drive following the 1990 season.

"Holy cow," Stark said. "Tom lit a fire under everybody."

Would Stark return to the NU fold if asked?

"How do you turn down coach Osborne?" Stark asked.

ljs blog

Nebraska obviously lacked good team chemistry in 2007. No newsflash there. However, I do think the chemistry issue was overlooked somewhat among all the other problems.

So, maybe it's time for Nebraska to revive the Unity Council, the 17-player leadership entity that began in 1991 before being dismantled when Bill Callahan took over as head coach in 2004.

Tom Osborne has expressed interest in reviving it, said former Husker team psychologist Jack Stark, who created the program and now uses forms of it with other teams, including NASCAR and Nebraska-Omaha hockey.

"There's been initial discussion (to bring it back to NU), but nothing's been finalized," Stark said Wednesday.

The Unity Council at Nebraska featured eight players apiece from offense and defense plus one kicker. Unity Council members, elected by their peers, met on Tuesdays, "and we went through everything," Stark said. "We dealt with all of the issues and problems that needed work."

For instance, if a player missed classes or was slacking in practice, the Unity Council might issue a stern reprimand. Plus, players had a voice in various team matters. Team unity improved dramatically, Stark said.

The impetus for creating the Unity Council occurred at the end of the 1990 season, when Nebraska was flat in losing 45-21 to Georgia Tech in the Florida Citrus Bowl. Osborne, then the head coach, was incensed. He had seen enough, Stark recalled.

"I'm telling you, assistant coaches were being evaluated (after that season)," Stark said. "They were scared. They were working overtime, 90 hours a week. We had kind of gotten comfortable."

ljs blog

Like most things on a football team. These types of things will only work if the players take ownership over the team. You can't force this type of thing on them. Do we have players on this team that are willing to stand up and stay we need to do this.....we haven't had that type of player since Mike Brown

ljs blog

Like most things on a football team. These types of things will only work if the players take ownership over the team. You can't force this type of thing on them. Do we have players on this team that are willing to stand up and stay we need to do this.....we haven't had that type of player since Mike Brown

Hmmmm...I dunno about that. I tend to think we've had a few - Taylor, Bowman, even Keller (albeit with the lack of time he had here he probably wasn't completely comfortable trying to take control). But the players also need the support and buy-in of the coaches. The best example I can think of is when Bowman took off his Blackshirt - and not a damn player followed his lead. At the point, the coaches should have backed him. They should have done it to the entire defense, and then point out to them why Bowman's actions were correct.

That kind of thing has to discourage potential leaders...

ljs blog

Hmmmm...I dunno about that. I tend to think we've had a few - Taylor, Bowman, even Keller (albeit with the lack of time he had here he probably wasn't completely comfortable trying to take control). But the players also need the support and buy-in of the coaches. The best example I can think of is when Bowman took off his Blackshirt - and not a damn player followed his lead. At the point, the coaches should have backed him. They should have done it to the entire defense, and then point out to them why Bowman's actions were correct.

:worship:worship:worship

Nice Post

ljs blog

Nice Post

:yeah

He stole MY answer!!!

1st one I thought of from this past season was Bowman..then Keller..Maybe even Ganz.

ljs blog

Attitude reflects leadership

ljs blog

Nice Post

ljs blog

AR you hit the nail on the head. Bowman tried to do something and everyone including the coaches failed to follow his lead. They missed a huge chance to do something and let it slip by. bringing back the council, I believe would be huge in getting this team to gel into a single unit and have some accountability amongst their peers.

ljs blog

AR you hit the nail on the head. Bowman tried to do something and everyone including the coaches failed to follow his lead. They missed a huge chance to do something and let it slip by. bringing back the council, I believe would be huge in getting this team to gel into a single unit and have some accountability amongst their peers.

so true, sometimes i think Bowman, even as a transfer, was the only one who understood what it meant to be a Blackshirt. maybe the hold over kids on this years' D will figure it out this year.