Did Osborne require Pelini hire certain assistants?

No coach would take a job so high profile and not have the people that he wanted...I believe that Dr. Tom suggested and Bo liked the suggestions.

personally, i would have liked to have seen a coach with a track record,, a place like nu should not have a problem getting someone with experience. but i quess there is a first time for everything. i went to high school where recruit dan hoch is coming from , and they hired the assistant, bladt , as head coach... and everything eles is history since, he turned out to the be the winnest coach in iowa with more state titles, appearances in title games.. like 16 out of 24 years..that is hard to duplicate....

dan hoch was a man among boys in his senior year,.,,,almost allways double teamed, he just pushed folks all over the place... mis-matches allways if it was one on one

So what is the problem here? TO suggests that Bo consider a guy like Ron Brown to coach receivers? Let's see...Brown has great character, he always loved coaching at NU and turned down NFL offers to stay in Lincoln, he motivates players, he has a record of turning guys that were not highly recruited into excellent system players, he knows how to win (don't forget it was a couple of his players that kept us in the Missouri game in `97), ... Is there really a problem if TO suggested a guy like that?

I don't think he told Bo who to hire, just that if he had a few positions available, there may have been a few guys TO wanted him to consider. What's the harm there?

And Bo proved he was the right guy for the job because he listened to the greatest coach in the history of college football instead of being stubborn and calling TO a "Crusty old f**K."

T.O. had never really talked to BO until the interview process, but to hear some people talk you would think Pelini is some stooge that goes with everything Osborne suggest. If Osborne was looking for someone that would go with his every suggestion he would probably have hired Gill.

BO told everyone of those former Nebraska coaches that they would be on BO'S staff if he ever got a head coaching job. That would make him a man of his word or in Callahans word " Word of his man"

So what is the problem here? TO suggests that Bo consider a guy like Ron Brown to coach receivers?

actually, ron brown has already said that from previous conversations bo said straight-up when he became a head coach he wanted ron on his staff.

true to his word, ron was one of bo's first hires.

I honestly do think he decided who he wanted on staff. Obviously T.O. mentioned some names and if Pelini hired them then so be it. I really think that in 2 or 3 years we are going to see a tough tough Nebraska team out on the field. I also think we will see the passion return to this once proud program. I for one can't wait for that day!!! :thumbs

I really believe that Bo made the decisions on his own, and Osborne may have offered suggestions, but what matters is the Bo seems like the type of coach that will correct hiring mistakes. I think that if one of his hires does not work out the way he plans, they will be gone. Time will tell, but it looks like the buck stops with Bo, no excuses.

I really don't undestand all this talk about Grobe. He has done a good job at Wake, but I for one would not have picked him over Bo. Just look at a couple of the most successful programs in the country USC, an of course OU. Both of these programs are lead by defensive minded coaches. I am completely statisfied to emulate these successful programs. I say defense wins championships, and now we can rest assured that we will be building one of the best defenses in the country.

By the way, I keep hearing people complaing that NU should have been able to hire a proven head coach, however I think we got the next Bob Stoops/Pete Carrol right here. How much do you guys think our hiring grade of C- will matter when that proves to be the case?

JMO

GBR