Did Osborne require Pelini hire certain assistants?

Thanks AR Husker for your support and kindness, it is appreciated.

Clarification for some of you.

My family has been invovled with the University for nearly 100 years. My family has donated money and land since my great great gandfather started it in 1916. I have known Coach Osborne for nearly 40 years. We are not close friends by any means, but he does know me and I know him. I admire him as much as any of you do, trust me.

I spoke with Coach Osborne on the 4th or 5th December. I spoke to him about Coach Pelini's hiriing, and my family's annual donation that is due on the 16th of January. I came away from that conversation with the feeling that he had very little to do with the hiring of Coach Pelini. My feelings are is that he is a figure head to make the Husker family happy. I feel the hiring of Coach Pelini was decided by a major booster, about the time I and I bleed Red gave information we had heard. Very close to correct in a lot of areas, too close to be just coincidene in my mind. I had posted that I did not believe some of it at the time, but some one knew what was going on with Pelini way way to early. This was actaully prior to the firing of Pederson. Trusted posters on this and other sites made the coment that it was a done deal before the coaching search even started raises question. One of Coach Osborne's coments was that Pelini had friends in high places.

He did speak of Grobe, who I think he would have hired if he had the choice. But it seems he had to have certain coaches on the team. Again I feel this was decided by who ever is paying for this. Most likely a large Texas Booster. In my mind there was no coaching search. Money bought our coach, and I think that was because he was the cheapest opiton out there.

I will also say, that I am not on the Pelini band wagon. But his staying with the LSU team through the bowl is a positive for him in my mind. Always finish what you start. I am still Husker Red, just not kicking out the money like I have in the past. I still have many concerns about Coach Pelini. And that has nothing to do with wins or losses. I think he is good coach, but I am concerned about how he goes about his business. Something went down that very few know the facts about.

So you pretty much wrote all of that to tell us you don't like Bo and your not going to give as much money to NU because of it. So your guy didn't get hired and now it's all a big shady under the table deal and Bo is crooked coach.

Seriously, how long before the season starts? Maybe you should send that info to ESPN, they would have a feild day with it. Stay tuned, more to come.........Tom Osborne is the anti-christ and want's to eat your first born! Or I'm just throwing a hissy fit cause he didn't hire my guy. Bo will make us proud again!

My family has been invovled with the University for nearly 100 years. My family has donated money and land since my great great gandfather started it in 1916. I have known Coach Osborne for nearly 40 years. We are not close friends by any means, but he does know me and I know him. I admire him as much as any of you do, trust me.

I spoke with Coach Osborne on the 4th or 5th December. I spoke to him about Coach Pelini's hiriing, and my family's annual donation that is due on the 16th of January. I came away from that conversation with the feeling that he had very little to do with the hiring of Coach Pelini. My feelings are is that he is a figure head to make the Husker family happy. I feel the hiring of Coach Pelini was decided by a major booster, about the time I and I bleed Red gave information we had heard. Very close to correct in a lot of areas, too close to be just coincidene in my mind. I had posted that I did not believe some of it at the time, but some one knew what was going on with Pelini way way to early. This was actaully prior to the firing of Pederson. Trusted posters on this and other sites made the coment that it was a done deal before the coaching search even started raises question. One of Coach Osborne's coments was that Pelini had friends in high places.

He did speak of Grobe, who I think he would have hired if he had the choice. But it seems he had to have certain coaches on the team. Again I feel this was decided by who ever is paying for this. Most likely a large Texas Booster. In my mind there was no coaching search. Money bought our coach, and I think that was because he was the cheapest opiton out there.

I will also say, that I am not on the Pelini band wagon. But his staying with the LSU team through the bowl is a positive for him in my mind. Always finish what you start. I am still Husker Red, just not kicking out the money like I have in the past. I still have many concerns about Coach Pelini. And that has nothing to do with wins or losses. I think he is good coach, but I am concerned about how he goes about his business. Something went down that very few know the facts about.

So you pretty much wrote all of that to tell us you don't like Bo and your not going to give as much money to NU because of it. So your guy didn't get hired and now it's all a big shady under the table deal and Bo is crooked coach.

Seriously, how long before the season starts? Maybe you should send that info to ESPN, they would have a feild day with it. Stay tuned, more to come.........Tom Osborne is the anti-christ and want's to eat your first born! Or I'm just throwing a hissy fit cause he didn't hire my guy. Bo will make us proud again!

although i have tired long ago with skersfan bashing of Bo, he has his reasons and he has remained vague about what he knows or what it is about Bo that bothers him. there are a myriad of possible reasons for that too, but to avoid a colossal piss-fight, substantiated by countless allegations, we should probably just let this go and move on as it will result in no more than a divisive topic which will serve no purpose.

although i have tired long ago with skersfan bashing of Bo, he has his reasons and he has remained vague about what he knows or what it is about Bo that bothers him. there are a myriad of possible reasons for that too, but to avoid a colossal piss-fight, substantiated by countless allegations, we should probably just let this go and move on as it will result in no more than a divisive topic which will serve no purpose.

Skersfan is merely making a point. I have personally met him and fully support his comments. He's just being critical of the hire. Now he's bashing? I have heard very little from insiders. I don't have many, I made my comments based on some folks on the board, but also simply, in general, how college football is run. This idea that were something special, that NU would never dip to these "SEC" levels is absurd. Were not a "crooked" program as many programs aren't, but were certainly not immune to going with MONEY.

skersfan has been around this program for a long time and I like to read his posts. He never gos off on a tirade over whats going on. I appreciate his take on what he got from talking to T. O. He doesn't say that's what T. O. said, only his take on it.

There were a few good coaches out there that I would have liked to have seen as the next Husker coach. I wanted to see the Cinn coach as our coach. Grobe probably would have been a decent hire, Turner G who is my all time fav Husker would have pleased the masses, I guess. What I really wanted was a young and hungry new comer that wants to be one of the best. Is Bo that guy? Who knows for sure, but how would we ever know if no one ever gives these type of coaches the chance. I get tired of watching the NFL, MLB, NBA keep hiring retreads that just got fired because they couldn't do the job they were at, and wanting different results out of them. How many of us growing up were told no we can't hire you because you don't have any experience, how in the hell do you get it if not given a chance. Bo has been around the sport long enough to understand what is expected of a head coach at a place like Nebraska. We just hired and fired a "name" coach, how did that work out. Lets give this coach a fighting chance, by waiting a couple of years to see how the team responds to him.

GBR!!!

skrsfan's opinion is his opinion. I dont know him and am not trying to bash him, but I would find it highly suspect that one would hire a toothless AD to apease the football fans/boosters. What about the other sports? Would he be toothless for those programs also? Would different boosters who are interested in different sports, run their specific program? This wouldnt make any sense.

Assumming that Tom is an AD like every other AD, why the concern over Osborne's influence on the football program? Too much power? If, so when as TO ever struck you as the type of person that would over step his bounds? Solich? When you get down to the heart of it, if Byrne's wanted someone else he could have hired someone else. I'd rather have someone with football knowledge and an understanding of our culture influencing our coach, than just having an administrative geek who knows nothing but dollar signs. Wouldnt you? I guess I'm used to mgnt that knows whats going on in day-to-day operations and has an understanding of it. So to me, TO and Bo "bouncing ideas off of each other" doesnt seem bad or strange to me. I prefer it.

I'm sure TO asked all potential hires who they wouldve wanted to hire as assistants. And those responses SHOULD have played a part in who TO ultimately hired.

My post was just my thoughts on what happened. I was not told what I said was fact. And I stated that numerous times.

I was not bashing Coach Pelini. I have never bashed him. I just do not like him. Things could change or they may not. Time will tell on that. I have at least kept an open mind about him. But I just do not follow blindly. Things in the past have soured me towards him as a person, not as a coach. I love his fire and determination. I like the fact that he is staying at LSU to finish what he started. In honesty I have a much better feeling about him now than I did a couple of months ago.

My post was to tell you my thoughts, just as many of you do. I intended no attack on anyone. As far as my favorite being by passed, I honestly only had one and he was not even mentioned in the search. My personal preference was not Coach Pelini, I would have been happy with anyone but him. But he is the coach, and I am willing to see where it goes. I have put a lot of thought into this over the last couple of months. Love for Nebraska is still the main point. And sometimes when love is involved you do some hard things to reap the rewards you are looking for. Sometimes those things do not fit with what everyone else thinks are right, but I have to do what, I think is right.

I followed blindly the last time we made a change. It did not turn out so well.

I believe TO told Pelini he had to keep those two , just as TO was told by the boosters he had to pick Pelini.

I concur 100%. I believe things were set in motion as early as the USC game. If not then, I'm sure it was shortly after the Ball State game. People look at TO as though he's never stepped out there in terms of public criticism, but I think they forget about how unpopular nationally it was for him to allow LP back on the team. He is a man who does things he deems right. If he weren't ok with the hiring of Pelini, I'm sure he wouldn't have taken the AD job. However, it doesn't mean that his hands weren't tied in terms of finding a new coach.

IMO, everything that went down over the past few months solidified that money talks and bull$hit walks. The big booster or boosters were willing to pull funding unless they got their way. I think this is really what all this is about. I feel a lot better about this hire than I did 4 years ago, but that doesn't mean we'll be any better 4 years from now. The boosters and Board of Regents wanted Solich gone, they wanted Clownahan gone, how long before they want Bo gone? It's really about the money.

Pretty much what I have said all along. Money is what makes college football go round and we have to learn to play the game as well as the next.

Some one with big pockets liked Coach Pelini while he was here before, and has followed him since he left. He has done a good job with both programs, there fore the thinking would be he will do the same here again.

I certainly hope Coach Pelini is the right guy. We are hurting over this change, another one in 4 years by firing would really be hard to overcome in my lifetime, that not being very long anymore. These golden years suck kids!!!!

My concern is the program, not so much the wins and losses. We all want to win, but I just want to keep doing it the way we have in the past. Above board. My thoughts on Coach Pelini are from 4 years ago, and people do change as they grow older. If his coment about finishing what he started and not just taking the money is true, he has shown great improvement over who and what I met 5 years ago. As stated I am willing to give him the benefit of doubt, after that statement. God knows the kids love him, and that has been with him since he was here before.

skersfan...... I have been an active member on the board since 04, and have enjoyed your insight and posts... You had me scratching my head over your extreme disappointed with the Bo hire...... I will say that the more you post and the more I read your posts, I truly respect your insight :thumbs ....... the fact that whatever happened between you and Coach Pelini 4 years ago, definately left a very bad impression on you, and although you still are not convinced the guy is the right guy.....you are able to at least point out some positives and give him a "chance".......this shows class on your behalf...... Glad you didn't pack up and leave the board with the hire......look forward to more insightful reading....

I always try to give credit where it is due. We all need to mend these fences. We need to become a family again. We all may not run to the flame but the brighter and more true it becomes the better the results. I did not like the man I met, nor some of his actions towards Nebraska, but as stated we all tend to grow up. I will be in Lincoln, the end of February. I have asked to see Coach Osborne and will most likely get to speak to Coach Pelini again. I am hoping that I come away from those meetings with a warmer fuzzier feeling than I had upon his selection. But I know it will take a couple of years before I am convinced he is the right guy. And that will have absolutely nothing to do with wins or losses.

Thanks for your kind words Hanc and your understanding.

I always try to give credit where it is due. We all need to mend these fences. We need to become a family again. We all may not run to the flame but the brighter and more true it becomes the better the results. I did not like the man I met, nor some of his actions towards Nebraska, but as stated we all tend to grow up. I will be in Lincoln, the end of February. I have asked to see Coach Osborne and will most likely get to speak to Coach Pelini again. I am hoping that I come away from those meetings with a warmer fuzzier feeling than I had upon his selection. But I know it will take a couple of years before I am convinced he is the right guy. And that will have absolutely nothing to do with wins or losses.

Thanks for your kind words Hanc and your understanding.

I, for one, will be very interested in what happens at these meetings. I'm very much with skersfan on this topic. I feel exactly the way he does. My money, although very small, is only going to academics this year until I see what happens. And it has nothing to do with wins and loses....effort and teamwork is my cure

One thing that continues to cross my mind is Pelini running across the field and calling Snyder a f'ing a-hole for scoring points on his defense. How is this the "Nebraska way"?

I have trouble believing TO would come back and work under such conditions.... why would he? I'm not buying this story.

Who knows. I do know that skersfan doesn't make stuff up, that's for sure. This is about as close to "from the horses mouth" as you get.

I'm not saying he's making it up, but there is a lot of "I get the impression" or "my feeling is". compound that with the fact that what he is saying doesnt really make sense for the reasons I previously posted, and you find why I am more than just a little skeptical.

I feel a lot better about this hire than I did 4 years ago, but that doesn't mean we'll be any better 4 years from now. The boosters and Board of Regents wanted Solich gone, they wanted Clownahan gone, how long before they want Bo gone? It's really about the money.

And it's about winning.

But opinions vary.

GO BO!!