NFL teams not liking the college spread game for finding QB's

dlrn64

What it means is the NFL is going to need to adapt the offenses for the skills of the QBs. The NFL just doesnt like change.

I highly doubt that will happen.

I assume now we are going to all get giddy about running a "spread" offense? The word "spread" is the new "WCO". There are so many wrinkles, differences and nuances to each team running the "spread" that it will ultimately become over used and misunderstood. Yay! I'd bet the offense NU runs will contain a lot of the same stuff Callahan brought in and will probably resemble a "WCO" and a "spread" offense. We will have the ultimate is misunderstood offensive acronyms!!!

There have been several high draft choices at QB in which the jury is still out that came from none other than WCO. At the end of their careers, is Matt Leinart going to be viewed as an excellent QB? How about Eli Manning? David Carr was once a franchise QB who will now more than likely finish his career as a perennial backup. Byron Leftwich is in the same boat. All guys paid millions and millions of dollars to be the next best thing. All now perennial backups. The NFL should be concentrating more on these statistics than whining about the spread option! I'd be willing to bet that Booty will be a high draft choice, and I'm willing to bet that he'll be a bust. QB's like Pat White more than likely won't be playing QB in the NFL, so I don't see why they have trouble evaluating the talent.

What it means is the NFL is going to need to adapt the offenses for the skills of the QBs. The NFL just doesnt like change.

most all NFL coaches will try to groom the new qb's into what they want, what fits their system, but sometimes they are not successful at getting the results they want. Young is still developing and looks pretty good to me.

most college coaches will fit their system (or try to recruit certain skills) around the players they recruit and their ability and take advantage of what they do best.

it is interesting that some NFL guys don't think Tebow will cut it in the NFL, as he relies more on his running ability than being a pure passer, which i tend to agree with. a running qb in the NFL is often a hazard to his own health.

Mangino has scripted a lot of roll out plays for Reesing since he is not the tallest of qbs, thereby increasing his completion rate and overcoming his lack of height. while there have been some shorter guys play in the NFL (Flutie and others??) a short guy is at a distinct disadvantage in the NFL.

You hit it right on the head. I was just wonder what team will be the first to use it in the NFL.

GBR!!!

Probably the same team that used the option first. :hmmph

I assume now we are going to all get giddy about running a "spread" offense? The word "spread" is the new "WCO". There are so many wrinkles, differences and nuances to each team running the "spread" that it will ultimately become over used and misunderstood. Yay! I'd bet the offense NU runs will contain a lot of the same stuff Callahan brought in and will probably resemble a "WCO" and a "spread" offense. We will have the ultimate is misunderstood offensive acronyms!!!

All depends on what the 'spread' is. NE used a ton of 4 WR sets, and plenty of empty backfeild sets, which by definition is a 'spread'. What the NFL really needs to get over is the idea that QBs need to be 6'4. NFL coaches and personel guys are just so filled with their own egos that they cant change any views.

You hit it right on the head. I was just wonder what team will be the first to use it in the NFL.

GBR!!!

Yep, NFL teams are incredible risk averse and usually only adopt change after it has been beaten into them by teams doing it at the college level.

At some point, you have to figure a team will get desperate enough to just run it - pick up a Seneca Wallace type (or 2 or 3 guys like him) and set out to annoy defenses all over the league. The key is that the team has to be desperate enough to go against the NFL's dislike of change, so it would likely be an awful team.

GBR!!!

Probably the same team that used the option first. :hmmph

Interesting that Bill Walsh, THE WCO inventor/guru, implemented the option during the strike season and won his strike game 41-21 ;)

It doesn't matter what type of offense that Nebraska runs...they still aren't going to get a second look from top QB recruits.

First of all...Nebraska doesn't get enough national TV coverage to support the egos of most of the "top" QB recruits. Think they're going to come to NU to play for local media coverage? Doubt it when they can go to USC or Ohio State to play on National TV every Saturday.

Second...history shows that the NFL just doesn't come sniffing around Nebraska when they're looking for a starting QB. Which of Nebraska's past QB's have ever gone on to the NFL to meet with great success? Tagge? Humm? Fraizer? Crouch? Only one I know of was Vince F and he happened to be in the right place at the right time for a great team...all the others either ended up holding a clipboard on the sideline or watching the games from home. What top QB would want to follow in the lines of that?

Then you have the other factors to throw in there...weather (why would a precious five-star want to take a chance of jamming a toe on frozen turf when he could be playing in California or Florida), academics (FSU sounds like a place for a great athlete with marginal thinking skills to attend rather than NU), friends and family support ("Texas promised to fly my grandma in for all the home games!") etc, etc, etc....

Run any type of offense you want but run the one that works best and allows you to win. If that means a FB plunge up the middle for 3 yards every damn play...so be it! Find a QB who you think will work with YOUR system and don't worry about running an offense because it gives your players a better shot at the NFL...who cares what they think anyway? Didn't they give us that HCing genius Callahan?

I think the nfl will have to adapt the qb play in the nfl is so poor anyway. I did notice the jets mixing in some option pass stuff with Brad Smith. I also am noticing qb's like Garrard becoming more valuable because he occasionally makes plays with his legs. Coaching will evolve. Personally I do not care I want NU to be the best college program period. Not a prep school for the nfl.

It doesn't matter what type of offense that Nebraska runs...they still aren't going to get a second look from top QB recruits.

First of all...Nebraska doesn't get enough national TV coverage to support the egos of most of the "top" QB recruits. Think they're going to come to NU to play for local media coverage? Doubt it when they can go to USC or Ohio State to play on National TV every Saturday.

Second...history shows that the NFL just doesn't come sniffing around Nebraska when they're looking for a starting QB. Which of Nebraska's past QB's have ever gone on to the NFL to meet with great success? Tagge? Humm? Fraizer? Crouch? Only one I know of was Vince F and he happened to be in the right place at the right time for a great team...all the others either ended up holding a clipboard on the sideline or watching the games from home. What top QB would want to follow in the lines of that?

Then you have the other factors to throw in there...weather (why would a precious five-star want to take a chance of jamming a toe on frozen turf when he could be playing in California or Florida), academics (FSU sounds like a place for a great athlete with marginal thinking skills to attend rather than NU), friends and family support ("Texas promised to fly my grandma in for all the home games!") etc, etc, etc....

Run any type of offense you want but run the one that works best and allows you to win. If that means a FB plunge up the middle for 3 yards every damn play...so be it! Find a QB who you think will work with YOUR system and don't worry about running an offense because it gives your players a better shot at the NFL...who cares what they think anyway? Didn't they give us that HCing genius Callahan?

A few counter points.

1 - Nebraska gets as much National TV coverage as anyone else when the team is good. In fact NU is one of the network favs because of the large national fan base that will watch the games.

2 - The NFL doesnt care much about history as some think it does. Maybe 20 years ago there could be a case made for it, but not in modern day. Most of the top QBs drafted do not come from power programs. Of the first day picks last year, only Russel and Quinn played for big boys. With the exception of USC under Carrol, find me anyone who is a QB factory.

3 - Weather is so over rated. If cold could keep QBs away, Michigan would never get any.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200...;u_sid=10224988

Watson said he's fought a perception over the past month that the NU offense is about to undergo changes that return it to an archaic state.

"For whatever reason, that's been out there," Watson said. "No. We're an elite offense, and we're not changing like that. But there are large boundaries here that you can play football within. It's got flexibility. You play to your talent."

I would definitely expect the offense to change a little bit, but not a whole lot. More of an evolution than an overhaul with Watson at the helm IMO.

We may not get a look at some of the HS QB's that may or may not be runing the spread offense, but I know that if I was a Husker coach recruiting players, I would certainly use this information to our advantage by telling them that our offense is one that is MORE LIKELY to give them a better shot to get a "heads up" to getting into the NFL. Obviously they have to play well, but NFL scouts are much more likely to go with a QB from a "pro=style" offense than one of the spread offenses. That is what the NFL scouts say, not my opinion.

Sure, NFL teams take the risk and select some of the spread offense QB's such as Young and others, but the fact is that they prefer to see how well the QB's do in the offenses that most every team in the NFL runs.

To say we shouldn't say to recruits that we run on offense that is a better stepping stone to the NFL is rather assinine thinking, isn't it? I would yell it from the mountaintops. It sets us apart from many of our Big 12 competitors.

the first thing most kids (HS qbs) look at is the qb coach and offensive coordinator and their ability to develop kids and run a great offense.

the spread just happens to be a big deal right now and some of the top college qbs are running it and will continue to do so, regardless what the NFL scouts may say. hard to knock success.