NFL teams not liking the college spread game for finding QB's

dlrn64

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200...;u_sid=10224988

Watson said he's fought a perception over the past month that the NU offense is about to undergo changes that return it to an archaic state.

"For whatever reason, that's been out there," Watson said. "No. We're an elite offense, and we're not changing like that. But there are large boundaries here that you can play football within. It's got flexibility. You play to your talent."

I would definitely expect the offense to change a little bit, but not a whole lot. More of an evolution than an overhaul with Watson at the helm IMO.

Someone needs to point out to Watson

Elite offense at Nebraska 0 - National championship

Archaic offense 3 - National Championship

Cy, respectfully, we have gotten top quarterbacks. What was Blaine Gabbert? Until things started to fall apart, he was very solid with NU, and he likely would had come. Yes, Harrison Beck was a bust, but he was a high profile QB. Zack Lee was considered the top Juco QB. So, respectfully, I think you are wrong about that. Now what is true is if Bo and his staff are good enough recruiters to get a high profile QB. That is an unknown, but on the other hand, perhaps we can find a very good one who is not on the radar screen. I supposed the Texas kid who just committed is perhaps not quite considered high profile, but he could be a good one.

As far as the spread offense, isn't the so-called WCO a form of a spread? The objective of the offense is to spread the defense. I am okay with staying with a pro-style offense, and let everyone else run some type of non-pro spread. If most teams are getting away from a pro-style spread, then most teams will not be very familiar with it. That sounds good to me. Why run an offense that so many other teams will be running.

I agree with the original post topic. The spread offense does not prepare college QBs for the next level.

NFL = million dollar athletes, coaches, gms, revenue, TV networks, radio, playoffs, SB, etc.

As the season goes, the weather changes. The NFL is so damn physical that so many guys play hurt or miss time because of injuries (there is a difference). Almost all teams will tell you that to be successful in the league you have to run the ball, play tough defense, move the chains on third downs, take some shots downfield, have good special teams, and then have a smart QB that can read defenses, get rid of the ball quickly, and be accurate.

There is also a reason why late hits on the QB is carefully watched throughout the game, fines are handed out, and "sliding" is taught. I could go on and on, but I hit my points enough about the NFL.

HS and college use the spread read offenses b/c it is an effective style for kids 17 - 22. You filter these guys in and out every few years. The NFL builds a team around a weakside OT (protection), DE (pass rusher), coverage corners & safety, and a smart QB that I mentioned.

VY has not impressed me enough. What he has yet to learn is to get rid of the ball by the time the reciever makes his break. Two years into the league, and he still waits for the reciever to finish his route before throwing. There is no timing with him. And he runs to much.

How accurate can an out of breath QB be who scrambles once every three pass attempts?

Watson said he's fought a perception over the past month that the NU offense is about to undergo changes that return it to an archaic state.

"For whatever reason, that's been out there," Watson said. "No. We're an elite offense, and we're not changing like that. But there are large boundaries here that you can play football within. It's got flexibility. You play to your talent."

I would definitely expect the offense to change a little bit, but not a whole lot. More of an evolution than an overhaul with Watson at the helm IMO.

Someone needs to point out to Watson

Elite offense at Nebraska 0 - National championship

Archaic offense 3 - National Championship

That's not really a completely valid argument. 4 years != 30+ years. Hell, probably less than that if you count the Humm years.

That and obviously Watson's argument was that he doesn't want incoming PLAYERS to thing we are going back to 3 yards and a cloud of dust, because we aren't. NU will run a modern offense just like they did in the 90's.

I don't think he was disparaging a style of ball NU used to play and I definitely don't think the word "archaic" is inappropriate.

Someone needs to remind Watson that his offense wasn't that great. 6 points vs Mizzou, and I don't think we put up over 21 points versus any of the top 20 teams we played in 2006. It has had it's ups and downs.

Bottom line, some of the greatest NCAA qb's haven't been the greatest NFL qb's and vice versa.

Someone needs to remind Watson that his offense wasn't that great. 6 points vs Mizzou, and I don't think we put up over 21 points versus any of the top 20 teams we played in 2006. It has had it's ups and downs.

Bottom line, some of the greatest NCAA qb's haven't been the greatest NFL qb's and vice versa.

I think we all need to keep in mind that the 2007 offense wasn't exactly Watson's as he called what 2 different halves the entire season. Also, using 2006 doesn't carry much weight with regards to Watson either as he wasn't even the OC then.

I'm more than willing to give Watson the benefit of the doubt. If he doesn't perform, I'm sure Pelini will have no qualms with replacing him. Considering TO wanted him kept, I think he must be pretty decent.

Averaged over 33 points a game in 2007.

I read an article in the USA Today newspaper this week in which NFL scouts/GM's were dismayed by the number of college teams playing the spread offense because they said it isn't preparing QB's for the more intricate offenses they run in the NFL. The scouts said because now more HS football teams run the spread and as it is has spread in upper tier college football, they say it is much more challenging assessing QB's in particular.

Reading this made me think that having retained Callahan's West Coast offense (though considered more complex by some), we should have a better shot at some of the QBs' that want to play pro ball. It makes me wonder why a guy like Gabbert is going to Missouri, because he doesn't seem particularly well suited to a spread offense and could have had his stock rise by going to a more pro-style offense like Nebraska's.

Anyways, it was an interesting article and hopefully makes some of these HS kids think a little harder about what style of offense WILL affect their draftability.

AKA QQ more! NFL scouts QQ more! College/HS coaches are going todo what is needed to win. Not what the NFL wants then to produce, Buck the status quo.

This kind of stuff from the NFL drives me crazy. NCAA football is not the NFL minor leagues. If they really want a system to evaluate skill players and improve position players, then they need to create a minor league. Look at what Eric Crouch is doing right now for the AAFL - a way to see if players who didn't get drafted may have the skills necessary to play. If the NFL wants to DICTATE what type of player they want, don't mess up my college football to do it.

Just in case anyone cares: http://www.allamericanfootballleague.com/

This kind of stuff from the NFL drives me crazy. NCAA football is not the NFL minor leagues. If they really want a system to evaluate skill players and improve position players, then they need to create a minor league. Look at what Eric Crouch is doing right now for the AAFL - a way to see if players who didn't get drafted may have the skills necessary to play. If the NFL wants to DICTATE what type of player they want, don't mess up my college football to do it.

The NFL doesn't want to do this - it costs money that they don't want to spend, and don't need to, as long as they have the NCAA to develop players. Look at the Maurice Clarett thing - why do you think the NFL fought so hard when he sued them? If he won, then players could enter the NFL draft whenever they wanted and the NFL would lose their FREE player development system. It's also why the NBA recently put in an age minimum - they got tired of drafting raw skill kids right out of HS and having to develop them.

And setting up a REAL minor league WILL mess up YOUR college football. Just look at college baseball. It's nowhere NEAR college football or basketball in terms of popularity, simply because there is no REAL minor league in football or basketball.

I remember a response from an NFL player regarding the age limits for the draft. It some something to the effect that he would love to line up across from and 18 year old, because he would kill the kid.

And that 'new' football league will meet the same fate of the XFL, one and done. There are not enough quality players to go around. As the arena leagues have proven.

The NFL doesn't want to do this - it costs money that they don't want to spend, and don't need to, as long as they have the NCAA to develop players. Look at the Maurice Clarett thing - why do you think the NFL fought so hard when he sued them? If he won, then players could enter the NFL draft whenever they wanted and the NFL would lose their FREE player development system. It's also why the NBA recently put in an age minimum - they got tired of drafting raw skill kids right out of HS and having to develop them.

And setting up a REAL minor league WILL mess up YOUR college football. Just look at college baseball. It's nowhere NEAR college football or basketball in terms of popularity, simply because there is no REAL minor league in football or basketball.

I will agree with the football age limit, but the NBA age limit is kind of stupid. How many of those "raw skilled" high school kids went right to the NBA and started? Quite a few. Players like Garnett and LeBron not only started but were the best players on their respective teams. For the 2002-2003 season, 4 of the top 10 players ranked in player efficiency went to the NBA straight from high school.

:bonez:steam:steam:bonez

Isn't it a shame that the spread option offence is making it hard for pro scouts and GM's. As if college football owes them anything. They don't mind stealing a soph. or jr. running back or any other player for that matter. They all run a basiclly boring offence that is at times very hard to watch while college ball and the spread option is generally exciting to watch. Maybe when they start pumping millions and millions of dollars into university coffers I'll let them whine and cry but for now. NFL just SHUT UP and go back to helping me nap on Sunday afternoon.

>>>T_O_B

NFL = No Fun League.

Isn't it a shame that the spread option offence is making it hard for pro scouts and GM's. As if college football owes them anything. They don't mind stealing a soph. or jr. running back or any other player for that matter. They all run a basiclly boring offence that is at times very hard to watch while college ball and the spread option is generally exciting to watch. Maybe when they start pumping millions and millions of dollars into university coffers I'll let them whine and cry but for now. NFL just SHUT UP and go back to helping me nap on Sunday afternoon.

>>>T_O_B

NFL = No Fun League.

Um, the NFL doesn't "steal" a sophomore or junior running back. That said player opts to not return to the college he is playing for and goes into the draft where a team drafts him and pays him to play football. Don't try to make the NFL something they are not. They don't steal players. They just give them a chance to play for money.

>>>T_O_B

NFL = No Fun League.

Um, the NFL doesn't "steal" a sophomore or junior running back. That said player opts to not return to the college he is playing for and goes into the draft where a team drafts him and pays him to play football. Don't try to make the NFL something they are not. They don't steal players. They just give them a chance to play for money.

Ok I'll give you that but everything else is solid.

>>>T_O_B