Nebraska National Championships

Yea I would have loved to see Wistrom and Peter unleashed on the Wolverines

I think we'd have handled them for as much trouble as they had beating Washington State in the Rose Bowl, and as badly as we whooped Tennessee, I'd say 49-21 would have been the outcome...

I remember Garth Brooks offered to fly both teams (Nebraska and Michigan) to a neutral location to have a game to settle it but the NCAA wouldn't go for it.

Yea I would have loved to see Wistrom and Peter unleashed on the Wolverines

I think we'd have handled them for as much trouble as they had beating Washington State in the Rose Bowl, and as badly as we whooped Tennessee, I'd say 49-21 would have been the outcome...

I remember Garth Brooks offered to fly both teams (Nebraska and Michigan) to a neutral location to have a game to settle it but the NCAA wouldn't go for it.

I'd all but forgotten about that...

Back then, the "UPI" poll named their champion prior to the bowls.

1. Texas

2. Ohio St.

3. Nebraska

After Texas & Oh St lost their bowl games, Nebraska won the AP poll.

Perhaps I'm confused or I didn't detect sarcasm...but the AP voted michigan #1 in 1997.

Nebraska was ranked #1 in the coaches poll 1997.

Hence the "split."

1. Texas

2. Ohio St.

3. Nebraska

Perhaps I'm confused or I didn't detect sarcasm...but the AP voted michigan #1 in 1997.

Hence the "split."

You're confused.

The reference was to the "split" with Texas in 1970....

The "UPI" (United Press International) Poll came out before the Bowl games....Texas won that poll, essentially the "regular season" championship.

Going into the bowl games...

#1 Texas lost to Notre Dame

#2 Ohio St lost to Stanford

#3 Nebraska beat LSU....moving up to claim the National Championship.

Ara Parshgian campaigned for Notre Dame, saying the had accpeted the "greater challenge".

Parshgian's comments prompted Bob Devaney's now famous, "Not even the Pope could vote Notre Dame #1".

1970 co-champs- Nebraska (AP)(FWAA)(H) 11-0-1 Won Orange Bob Devaney

Texas (UPI) 10-1 Lost Cotton Darrell Royal

1971 Nebraska (AP)(UPI)(FWAA)(H) 13-0 Won Orange Bob Devaney

1994 Nebraska (AP)(CNN)(FWAA) 13-0 Won Orange Tom Osborne

1995 Nebraska (AP)(CNN)(FWAA) 12-0 Won Fiesta Tom Osborne

1997 co-champs- Michigan (AP)(FWAA) 12-0 Won Rose Lloyd Carr

Nebraska (ESPN) 13-0 Won Orange Tom Osborne

3 undisputed championships

2 co-championships - arguments vary!!

5 total championships

While I truly believe that NU would have killed Michigan in 1997, I love the fact that it's still argued about 10 years later. This is what makes college football so great; we still care and will argue with people about whose team is better a decade later.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I would hate to see college football go the way of the NFL with a playoff system. Does it really matter if it's a mythical national championship? Not to me! The passion of the fans that continues 365 days a year, not just at Nebraska but across the country, is what makes college football what it is.

A day or two after the Super Bowl... who cares who won?

:bonez:steam:steam:bonez

You are SOOOOOOO right NP-H. No playoff. No BCS. Go back to the bowls and the final day of college football on New Years Day. When something works, leave it the F. alone.

>>>T_O_B

:bonez:cheers:cheers:bonez

1. Texas

2. Ohio St.

3. Nebraska

Hence the "split."

You're confused.

The "UPI" (United Press International) Poll came out before the Bowl games....Texas won that poll, essentially the "regular season" championship.

Ara Parshgian campaigned for Notre Dame, saying the had accpeted the "greater challenge".

Parshgian's comments prompted Bob Devaney's now famous, "Not even the Pope could vote Notre Dame #1".

Didn't Richard Nixon invite Nebraska football team to the White House and say that they were the real National Championship team or something to that affect?

1. Texas

2. Ohio St.

3. Nebraska

Hence the "split."

You're confused.

Didn't Richard Nixon invite Nebraska football team to the White House and say that they were the real National Championship team or something to that affect?

:):)

Would have had to have been after his re-election he was too much of a pol. to do something like that and piss off the voters in Tex.

>>>T_O_B

:):)

you guys think it was hard to take that split title in 97? come live here, with skers stickers on your car, a skers hat on your head and a skers helmet mailbox that you have to replace at least once a year. not to take anything away from your pain, but i get it every single day.

1. Texas

2. Ohio St.

3. Nebraska

Hence the "split."

You're confused.

Nixon actually came to Lincoln.

In a ceremony at the Coliseum, Richard Nixon presented a plaque to Bob Devaney...with co-captains Jerry Murtaugh and Dan Schniess on the stand.

Nixon said, "The plaque wording is as follows, 'The University of Nebraska Football Team...Champions of the Big 8, Victors in the 1971 Orange Bowl...and Picked by the Associated Press Number One Team in the Nation!" (Followed by loud applause)

Nixon must've have been a big college football fan. He also attended the 1969 Arkansas-Texas game. After the game in the Texas lockerroom, he presented Darrell Royal a plaque and proclaimed Texas as "Number One".

not only were the Huskers the undisputed champs in 97......they had the best 'TEAM' ever assembled in college football in 1995.....imo......watch the game tape of the national championship if you are a non-believer

The 1995 Huskers

Tom Osborne's team won its second consecutive national championship (as part of a 26-game winning streak) by blowing through a schedule that included three Top 10 teams, and then whipped No. 2 Florida in the Fiesta Bowl with an unbelievable 62-24 statement

not only were the Huskers the undisputed champs in 97......they had the best 'TEAM' ever assembled in college football in 1995.....imo......watch the game tape of the national championship if you are a non-believer

The 1995 Huskers

Tom Osborne's team won its second consecutive national championship (as part of a 26-game winning streak) by blowing through a schedule that included three Top 10 teams, and then whipped No. 2 Florida in the Fiesta Bowl with an unbelievable 62-24 statement

97 Michigan eeked and squeaked by every opponent. They squeak by WSU, while NU CRUSHED Phil Fulmer's NFL PREP squad, 42-17!

The 1995 Huskers

I still believe the 71 team was better. !983 had a pretty awesome husker squad too. I think the 71 team would have beaten the 95 squad head to head though.