Anybody ever watch that show 'Coach' back in the day?

Stu

Using “Nebraska St.” was actually an homage to the Huskers, if you think about it. They put that ball up there to add a touch of legitimacy to Coach Fox. They couldn’t use a real college without going through usage hassles, so they made up a name but made it close enough to a real team to sound “real.”

The fact that they associated a great win over a great school with Nebraska always seemed to me like quite a compliment.

There actually was a Nebraska State way back at the start of the 1900's...actually it was called Nebraska State Normal School (as opposed to the college in Cozad which was referred to as the Nebraska State School for Retards and was later moved and renamed Colorado University) but I digress...Here is a synopsis of the outstanding gridiron history from the Nebraska State Antelopes:

Between 1905 and 1909, the football program at the Nebraska State Normal School at Kearney (modern day UNK) struggled mightily, compiling a dismal 7-18-6 record. During the inaugural 1905 season, the team failed to even score a point while the 1908 season was cancelled after three consecutive losses by a combined score of 82-0. One of those losses was a humiliating 45-0 loss to Hastings College. In all reality, the Normal school's early football teams just were not very good. They were coached by college professors and the players brought very little experience to the gridiron. High school teams regularly beat-up on Kearney and college teams viewed games against the Normal School as a warm up for more legitimate competition

In 1911 they were beaten by the Nebraska Cornhuskers 117-0. They were coached through all these years by the Bill Callahan....okay, I made that last part up. The rest is fact though.

There actually was a Nebraska State way back at the start of the 1900's...actually it was called Nebraska State Normal School (as opposed to the college in Cozad which was referred to as the Nebraska State School for Retards and was later moved and renamed Colorado University) but I digress...Here is a synopsis of the outstanding gridiron history from the Nebraska State Antelopes:

Between 1905 and 1909, the football program at the Nebraska State Normal School at Kearney (modern day UNK) struggled mightily, compiling a dismal 7-18-6 record. During the inaugural 1905 season, the team failed to even score a point while the 1908 season was cancelled after three consecutive losses by a combined score of 82-0. One of those losses was a humiliating 45-0 loss to Hastings College. In all reality, the Normal school's early football teams just were not very good. They were coached by college professors and the players brought very little experience to the gridiron. High school teams regularly beat-up on Kearney and college teams viewed games against the Normal School as a warm up for more legitimate competition

In 1911 they were beaten by the Nebraska Cornhuskers 117-0. They were coached through all these years by the Bill Callahan....okay, I made that last part up. The rest is fact though.

LOL hahah cy is awesome 8D