NU vOU

kramer

If we can't stop AD we'll have absoltuely no shot. We have to load up the box and leave our DBs in mostly single coverage, hopefully they'll be ready to play some real football.

A couple of things could weigh in on this . The word around here is that Rhett Bromar. ( Hope I spelled that right) will be the starter over Paul Thompson. This dude will be a red shirt freshman. I think we will be able to load the box, and confuse the crap out of this kid. Slow down Peterson enough to win. Isnt there still a buzz around about Petersons shoulder requiring him to take a medical redshirt? this could be a interesting game.

. Isnt there still a buzz around about Petersons shoulder requiring him to take a medical redshirt? this could be a interesting game.

Yessire. But I doubt it would happen. Kids today dont have the patience in this instant gratification disposable society. He will get amped up on PKs and fight though it so he can get payed.

No one would be happier to see this NU beat the sh#@ out of Stoops and Co. , but aren't we jumping the gun a bit.... :wacko:

Yes, we will be improved to some extent.... Can't expect young kids, even juco kids to turn this around in one year.

but, last time I checked, OU has a top 5 program ESTABLISHED, and they just added a great recruiting class, that included guys, who WE THOUGHT WOULD BE SAVIORS IN LINCOLN (Smith, Harris, Granger)....... Combine this with their great classes the past 3 years, it is RELOAD time in OU

NU will be improved, OU will not be AS strong, the game in Lincoln will be beter than this year's game, but OU is still class of Big 12 ( :steam ).

No one would be happier to see this NU beat the sh#@ out of Stoops and Co. , but aren't we jumping the gun a bit.... :wacko:

Yes, we will be improved to some extent.... Can't expect young kids, even juco kids to turn this around in one year.

but, last time I checked, OU has a top 5 program ESTABLISHED, and they just added a great recruiting class, that included guys, who WE THOUGHT WOULD BE SAVIORS IN LINCOLN (Smith, Harris, Granger)....... Combine this with their great classes the past 3 years, it is RELOAD time in OU

NU will be improved, OU will not be AS strong, the game in Lincoln will be beter than this year's game, but OU is still class of Big 12 ( :steam ).

Agreed.

If we can't stop AD we'll have absoltuely no shot. We have to load up the box and leave our DBs in mostly single coverage, hopefully they'll be ready to play some real football.

We stopped AD cold this year. The thing we had to worry about was the passing game. Of course, last year we had Barrett Ruud, too.

Right now I say put 7 in the box, rush one LB and drop 5 back in coverage. Of course we'll have to see what happens and who the QB is at the time, whether it be Bomar, Thompson, Grady or whoever.

I think we have a solid shot, though.

If we can't stop AD we'll have absoltuely no shot.  We have to load up the box and leave our DBs in mostly single coverage, hopefully they'll be ready to play some real football.

We stopped AD cold this year.

I don't know. He really didn't play much this year because Jason White could pick us apart.

If we can't stop AD we'll have absoltuely no shot.  We have to load up the box and leave our DBs in mostly single coverage, hopefully they'll be ready to play some real football.

We stopped AD cold this year.

I don't know. He really didn't play much this year because Jason White could pick us apart.

Well we held him to under 4 ypc, that's all I know.

Because he was injured! If he would have been healthy, they would have simply ran him down our throats. Probably the score wouldn't have been any worse, but our defense would have been drained.

What we must all realize is this: OU's starting QB will more than likely be Brohm (sp?). He was listed as one of the 2 best QB's coming out of high school last year. He redshirted, and probably learned the offense very well. We're not going up against some clown who couldn't hold JW's jockstrap. We have no idea who we'll be lining up at QB. By the time the OU game rolls around, we could be starting Beck, Taylor, Adams, etc.

We're at least 2 if not 3 years away from being able to compete with OU. Until proven otherwise, I still reserve the right to believe we will climb no higher than 3rd in the Big 12 for the next two seasons.

Yatzee, just like all the recruits we are bringing in. Let's say our new QB recruits struggle through the season learning the WCO. JD would probably remain the starter in that situation. Let's say he plays comparable to last year. Even if Brohm flops, they still win by a couple of TD's IMO.

We're all putting a lot of stock in these recruits just like Mack Brown did with Chris Sims. Sims was a good QB, but he was not nearly what he was hyped up to be. I hope we're not putting some of our new found talent in front of the team like Brown did at Texas. The thread about Lucky starting is what I'm talking about. AP for OU didn't start until the 4th game of the season for OU, and he's thought to be the best freshman RB ever. You don't bench your field general who was the only player on offense last year to play with heart and soul. It would be one thing if Ross wasn't that good, but he is one hell of a player. I'd agree with the poster who said he's the best RB NU has had since Ahman Greene.

As in life, some of these new recruits will be busts either due to attitude or due to health reasons. Willie Amos is probably one of the most athletic players to ever play at NU, but he was wasted by injury. Incognito would/could have been one of the best OL if he could have kept his head straight. Until we get some of these freshman out on the field and keep them healthy, we should all be holding our breath.

We're all putting a lot of stock in these recruits just like Mack Brown did with Chris Sims.  Sims was a good QB, but he was not nearly what he was hyped up to be.  I hope we're not putting some of our new found talent in front of the team like Brown did at Texas.  The thread about Lucky starting is what I'm talking about.  AP for OU didn't start until the 4th game of the season for OU, and he's thought to be the best freshman RB ever.  You don't bench your field general who was the only player on offense last year to play with heart and soul.  It would be one thing if Ross wasn't that good, but he is one hell of a player.  I'd agree with the poster who said he's the best RB NU has had since Ahman Greene. 

As in life, some of these new recruits will be busts either due to attitude or due to health reasons.  Willie Amos is probably one of the most athletic players to ever play at NU, but he was wasted by injury.  Incognito would/could have been one of the best OL if he could have kept his head straight.  Until we get some of these freshman out on the field and keep them healthy, we should all be holding our breath.

The fans are excited because a successful recruiting season gives them a reason to be. It's easy to get a big head with the class that we signed, but I agree you still have to be realistic. But realistic doesn't mean cynical. :)

Whether you, or whoever, chose to believe them or not the coaches have said that no one is guaranteed a starting position. No one has been guaranteed anything, but it is hard to believe that with the players we lost last year, some of them might as well be a shoe in.

I am sure the coaches have some kind of list of who they think will be starting come fall. Afterall, they know who they have and have seen them play. They also know who they have coming in and have seen them play in film at least. However, that doesn't and shouldn't translate to a fall depth chart.

The only reason someone would be placed "in front" of someone else is related to how much eligibilty they have left. You don't bring Juco players with less than 3 years to play and have them sit.

Example: Taylor. He has obvjously shown he has the ability to do the things a QB has to do in a pass oriented offense. One being look off backs and get rid of the ball quickly. Hesitation is one of Joe's biggest weaknesses. IMO, he should come in to camp just about even with Joe. I'm sorry that some people don't feel that way, but the fact of the matter is at least where Joe is. Hell, even Beck has said the chunk of playbook he has received is strikingly similar to what he has been running in his high school career. There are just different names for positions, is what he said I believe.

Now as far as "putting stock in these recruits". Well, we did that when we got them to commit here. You do that to the team when you have the starters step out on the field. You don't go after great athletes, get them, then don't lean on them to get the job done. I don't mean that all these freshmen should be starting, because most shouldn't be. However, I think the coaches realize that you can't exactly throw all your freshmen into the fire like that, so to say. That's where the Juco's come in. Callahan and Co have said that the large number of Juco's will NOT be a year to year thing and the meat of the program will remain with HS kids.

Ross will be a stud this year. No doubt.