K-State's Recruiting Philosophy

I don't know if any of you fine people have kept up with the recruiting trends of some of our Big XII North brethren, but it appears K-sucks has landed 20––I reapeat––TWENTY JUCOs on their commitment list. Now I may not know much, but they better pray to God that 80% of these players come in and rock some faces, or Prince is in a whole lotta trouble. Yeesh, and people gave Callahan a hard time.

Also, in a related story, I heard a rumor that Gene Chizik had been adopting some harsh recruiting tactics over ISU's way. Allegedly one of his kids was looking to take another visit (I'm not sure if he intended to decommit), and Chizik used some forceful language with regard to the kid, his mother, and his grandmother, and was asked to leave the house.

Cy, got anything for us on that one? From what I was told it's a recent story, and was broke via the Hawkeyes and appeared on Rivals. Any clarification would be welcome, as I don't want particularly to smear Chizik if he's on the level.

I don't know if any of you fine people have kept up with the recruiting trends of some of our Big XII North brethren, but it appears K-sucks has landed 20––I reapeat––TWENTY JUCOs on their commitment list. Now I may not know much, but they better pray to God that 80% of these players come in and rock some faces, or Prince is in a whole lotta trouble. Yeesh, and people gave Callahan a hard time.

Also, in a related story, I heard a rumor that Gene Chizik had been adopting some harsh recruiting tactics over ISU's way. Allegedly one of his kids was looking to take another visit (I'm not sure if he intended to decommit), and Chizik used some forceful language with regard to the kid, his mother, and his grandmother, and was asked to leave the house.

Cy, got anything for us on that one? From what I was told it's a recent story, and was broke via the Hawkeyes and appeared on Rivals. Any clarification would be welcome, as I don't want particularly to smear Chizik if he's on the level.

Well...the story I heard was that Chizek gave a little lecture to an Iowa linebacker prospect and his family when Iowa talked the kid into graduating early and "grayshirting" at Iowa City. Iowa has been pulling that "grayshirt recruit" stunt around here quite a bit this year. Apparently Ferentz is getting desperate and it's starting to piss Chizek off a bit, especially when the two programs are going head to head over local talent. I'm thinking (based on past actions) Chizek might just have a few more ethics and morals than Ferentz does

I'm thinking (based on past actions) Chizek might just have a few more ethics and morals than Ferentz does

... not that you're biased or anything.

I'm sorry but when Ferentz makes 2 Mil a year yet his kid, who's playing on a full scholarship at Iowa, says he qualifies for low-income housing assistance and lives in subsidised housing while real poor people live in boxes...and his father sees nothing wrong with that...I'm of the opinion that Ferentz is ethically challenged...at the very least.

I'm thinking (based on past actions) Chizek might just have a few more ethics and morals than Ferentz does

I'm sorry but when Ferentz makes 2 Mil a year yet his kid, who's playing on a full scholarship at Iowa, says he qualifies for low-income housing assistance and lives in subsidised housing while real poor people live in boxes...and his father sees nothing wrong with that...I'm of the opinion that Ferentz is ethically challenged...at the very least.

The fact that Ferentz still has a job is a testement to how far Iowa has fallen.

Welcome to the 19th oh I mean 20th century. Doesn't it suck that you beat Iowa

but your still second fiddle in the state?

:laughpound:dunno

Hmmmm didn't some other Big XII North coach try to bring in a bunch of JUCO's? Man I cant remember who he was or how well he did. Hmmmmm

Yeah...let's see, Zac Taylor, Maurice Purify, Zack Bowman, Steve Octavien, Armando Murillo, Barry Cryer, Ola Dagunduro, Andre Jones, Frantz Hardy, Larry Asante...well, dang, that totally failed. None of those guys ever amounted to much, right?

Hmmmm didn't some other Big XII North coach try to bring in a bunch of JUCO's? Man I cant remember who he was or how well he did. Hmmmmm

Yeah...let's see, Zac Taylor, Maurice Purify, Zack Bowman, Steve Octavien, Armando Murillo, Barry Cryer, Ola Dagunduro, Andre Jones, Frantz Hardy, Larry Asante...well, dang, that totally failed. None of those guys ever amounted to much, right?

A lot of them on that list still haven't shined like the morning dawn. Bowman, Murillo, Octo, Jones, and Asante were all a part of the recipe for the worst defense in Nebraska history, remember. Purify didn't have a stellar season, either, at least not as great as we all probably expected it to be.

Bottom line: half of the JUCOs you bring in are probably going to be washouts, if you're lucky. The other half take time to develop at the D-1 level, just like everyone else. If you're lucky you get a few among the pack that don't take half a season to accomplish this. I think Pelini is doing the right thing in keeping the numbers low. If you want to win for the long haul, best keep your cabinet stacked with your own developed talent in a position where they can be used effectively for more than a single season.

There is a world of difference between taking a handful who you believe will be difference makes, and making it the whole class like what KSU is doing. DeMario Williams and Mike Rozier are great reasons to take JUCOs, while Victory Hanes( pretty sure I didnt get the spelling right) is a reason not to. The whole point is you need to be extra careful with JUCOs as they have less time to develop them.