Hey everyone, well I'm close to graduating from college and when I do I will lose my current gateway p.o.s. laptop and I can't wait. I'm looking to either get another laptop or an actual desktop and I'm looking for some suggestions. I don't need one that is geared towards gaming, or video editing, etc. I need your basic good computer that you can use for accessing the internet, word processing, printing, etc. I may use my PS3 and hook it up to the computer, but even then I have a wireless network so the computer really wouldn't come into play here. I need one with good processing speed, okay memory, and that is reliable. I don't want to have to take it in every two months for maintenance like I have this Gateway so I'm looking for some suggestions. Looking at spending between $1,000 to $1,500 so any suggestions would be great. I'm not looking to build one either because I had that done with my last desktop and it's been fried for two years now. Thanks guys and gals. :thumbs

Personally, I prefer to build my own. Once you get out of the $300 throw it away in a year computer range, it is monstrously cheaper to order the parts online and assemble it yourself.

First, pick laptop or desktop.

The PS3 is independent from the comp. It connects to the internet through the modem(if you want more than 1 thing connected you need a router also) so it is a non-issue.

I HATE HATE HATE Dell. They will rape you on upgrade parts from the 'base' one they start you with. And they have some parts that are custom made to fit in their cases so you cant go outside them for aftermarket upgrades(and they charge 2x what you can get things for online)

In general I am not a big fan of most premade machines, but other than some of the screwy stuff that Dell pulls, computers are all made from the same basic parts. There are 2 CPU makers, 2 Video card makers, only 1 real sound option. The only places where there is really much difference is in the RAM and the motherboards.

If you get one with Vista, get 4 gigs of ram.

Get a firewall and anti-virus.

Any other questions, I will be happy to answer.

I dont like Macs. Half the time you end up having to put a partition on them and run windows anyway to use lots of software. And from what I have read on some techpages the new OS they advertise has some issues, and Apple hhas a very bad rep for CS. They also dont tend to be aftermarket friendly. The only place they have an advantage is in video and sound editing, for internet, word processing and general stuff there isnt a any real advantage, and you do pay for the Mac name.

:)

I'm in the market too and am looking at this Gateway:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1195599779501

you can get it equipped with Office Standard and some other goodies for about $1300.

>>>T_O_B

I have a Gateway right now and personally I want to take the thing and smash the hell out of it! It could be because the school bought a boatload of these Gateway laptops and a premium price? What brand do you recommend me getting then strigori???

you can get it equipped with Office Standard and some other goodies for about $1300.

>>>T_O_B

That one is fine unless you plan on running any games on it. In which case you need to look into getting one with an nVidia video card. Intel cards are not cut out for anything with real 3d grafics

>>>T_O_B

I have a Gateway right now and personally I want to take the thing and smash the hell out of it! It could be because the school bought a boatload of these Gateway laptops and a premium price? What brand do you recommend me getting then strigori???

Are you looking at buying at a store like Beast Buy or NFM? or ordering online?

>>>T_O_B

Are you looking at buying at a store like Beast Buy or NFM? or ordering online?

Probably somewhere like Best Buy.

Most of what they have falls into the eMachines, HP, Gateway and Sony under the VIAO nameplate. Other than the eMachines any should be fine. For specific models, you may want to see what CNET.com has for reviews on them. I dont have a laptop, so most of my opinion there has more to do with the company reputation.

>>>T_O_B

BRI

I have a gateway laptop and it has served me well. I took it to Kuwait for a year and Iraq for a year and had no problems with it at all. had it for over 3 years now and the only think that has gone wrong with it is the little latch thingy that keeps it closed broke when i was in Iraq. but i have been happy

Refurbs can be an inexpensive and good way to go. They are usually out of box failures and have been completely looked oved by a tech.

>>>T_O_B

That makes me a little nervous. I'm doing my homework right now based on some reviews and go from there. I'll check out some of the other computers you guys mentioned and see how they are.