All the laptops are pretty much the same....the HP is slightly the best imo, but like I said I really refrain from buying computers from computer manufacturers..

As for the desktops, there's no question. The HP completely dominates the Dell for only slightly more.

You should still build your own though. :P

I just bought the Toshiba laptop from Best Buy today. I got it, a wireless printer, microsoft office, and a few other things for 1,500. The wife is pretty pissed at me, but she'll feel better about it when she gets over it. This laptop I'm on right now is getting ready to crash! :thumbs

I would say it was either the HP or the Toshiba and since I've had crap results with HP and good results with Toshiba that's the choice I would've made. :thumbs

I just bought the Toshiba laptop from Best Buy today. I got it, a wireless printer, microsoft office, and a few other things for 1,500. The wife is pretty pissed at me, but she'll feel better about it when she gets over it. This laptop I'm on right now is getting ready to crash! :thumbs

I would say it was either the HP or the Toshiba and since I've had crap results with HP and good results with Toshiba that's the choice I would've made. :thumbs

Well I'm using it for the first time right now and I have to say this computer is so much better than my other one! :thumbs One of the reason's I decided to get the Toshiba was because all they make are laptops so they have more detail with their laptops. Plus it has a faster processor in it.

The problem with Macs is that you're paying a premium price for the name.

and as a mac owner, i will tell you: you get what you pay for.

You can get the same specs of a Mac on a non-Mac computer for a lot less.

specs, yes. quality, maybe not. i've had three widnows-type laptops and the all invariably had something wrong with them. one was reliable but slow, the other ate harddrives like a five-year-old eats gummi bears and the last one just fell apart.

not so with the macbook pro. thing is build like a freakin' rock. solid and well designed, worth *every* penny i paid. and boy did i pay a lot pennies.

If you have to share files with a Windows user, that can be a problem unless you buy a Microsoft version of the Office for Mac.

or you can ask people to save in more generic formats like *.rtf or simpler spreadsheet files.

or you can do what i did and use boot camp to make your mac boot either as an apple or a wintel based machine.

It's much easier to find applications for "regular" computers. Support is easier to find - there's always someone around that knows how to fix a Windows-based computer.

see above.

Upgrades are easier and cheaper - there's far more development in the Windows world than the Mac, and, again, you tend to pay a premium for hardware that runs on a Mac.

the macbooks are now intel-based machines. there's nothing special about the ram or HDs now.

Mac is a niche product. As long as you can live with the limitations, it's fine. But those are significant limitations.

the mac OS is niche. the hardware isn't. again, i dual boot and use my laptop at work all the time. in fact, it superior to damned near everything else the company uses.

once you go mac, you *never* go back.

oh yeah, and Macs have updates like every other day!

What version are we on now? OS 10.6.4.3.5 Bobcat?

;)

Might not be an issue for day to day users...but when you run a computer dedicated to doing certain work and you rely on your main program being compatible with the OS...The programmers seem to always be rushing with new updates to their program just so it stays compatible with the Mac OS.

ONE of the reasons I don't choose Mac.

Also, I just know PCs better :)

I will switch to mac's (though not completely) if i ever go into video production or graphic design

until then, though, no thanks.

actually, I work at a video production company and all the guys there use PCs. The only mac system we have runs Final Cut but no one uses it anymore really. Even all the graphic design, animation, 3D renderings, etc. are all done on PCs

Well Final Cut Pro would be the big reason.

Also, I don't really know (benny we have talked about this before) if or what makes macs superior in graphics, but from everything i've heard they are.

so idk

honestly it has nothing to do with a Mac versus PC thing. It really comes down to the program itself you choose to work with. I'm sure there are great Mac programs just like there are PC programs. Some designers choose to build for the Mac OS structure only just as some decide to build for Windows only. I'm sure some will quote performance ratings as far as calculations per nano-second, but really they're all 1's and 0's people.

:)