The Myth and The Truth about the Husker Talent Gap

I read thread after thread that says KU and MU are WAY TO Talented to beat

Fact....Nobody has recruited better that NU , Not MU KU Or KSU and CU has had some decent runs even... they are down the list

Name me a better stable of RB's in the north?

Lucky, Castille , Helu.....not to metntion the incoming guys and Kenny Wilson

Our Recievers are as good as MU's

they looked like NFL studs when Ganz finally got the nod and got them the ball. Paul and Co. are BIG and Fast

Nobody in the north and maybe only OU can field an O-line as good as NU's.....

Our returning LB's are talented and the speed from Assante ,Culbert, Thenarse will give us a decent shot to slow down the spread offense....there are also very good players coming off injury or redshirt.

Whitmore will play early, that and we return guys like .Prince ,Blue and Murillo

The D-line maybe the real project, but that is where Bo excells.....there is talent there and they will also welcome some new blood.....look for stiff competition and a tough conditioning program to whip this group into shape...I'm not calling for the 85 Bears....but these guys will be as good as anyone in the North.

Callahan wrecked the last two jobs he has had, the recent staff was decent at getting talent and terrible at getting it to play....from what we have seen from Bo and Watson.......I think the Huskers will finally be able to turn Callahan's big time classes into WINS

Your post just made my glasses a little more rose colored. I agree that we have the people in place to make a run at the north and conference titles. We are just 1 year removed from the title game and with this new staff and changes in practice and the entire thinking process we should have a good turn around and pick up where we can compete with anyone we play.

you're right ..we're not the most talented team in the country but were not as bad as people think(talent wise)especially on defense...Coz has got to be the worst DC in NU history..the schemes he deployed were terrible and some of the players he choose to play were questionable...i've never seen a defense that looked so confused 90% of the time....at least the O showed some potential at times

The issue of talent aside --- if talent is defined as potential, I forward that based on observation MU and Ku and even Cu were overall quite a bit faster on both sides of the ball than NU. All three teams were far more physical in the trenches. The NU lineman were noticeably fatter and softer and slower that those at KU, CU, and MU. If you look at simple things like muscle mass on the LB's and safeties at MU and KU especially they were far more buff, so to speak, than NU's.

One is fooling themselves if they think that NU's problems were only coaching schemes last year. Lack of speed, quickness, and strength were major problems as well. There was gross lack of conditioning as well.

The NU talent is mid conference level and is undoubtedly behind MU and KU (and probably CU as well). Recruiting rankings are hype and expectation. Watch what was on the field and there is no doubt Pelini is starting behind the 8-ball.

I'll agree the talent is not 5-7 talent where they should get blown out in laughers every other week. But, the talent is also not 9 win talent either.

The issue of talent aside --- if talent is defined as potential, I forward that based on observation MU and Ku and even Cu were overall quite a bit faster on both sides of the ball than NU. All three teams were far more physical in the trenches. The NU lineman were noticeably fatter and softer and slower that those at KU, CU, and MU. If you look at simple things like muscle mass on the LB's and safeties at MU and KU especially they were far more buff, so to speak, than NU's.

One is fooling themselves if they think that NU's problems were only coaching schemes last year. Lack of speed, quickness, and strength were major problems as well. There was gross lack of conditioning as well.

The NU talent is mid conference level and is undoubtedly behind MU and KU (and probably CU as well). Recruiting rankings are hype and expectation. Watch what was on the field and there is no doubt Pelini is starting behind the 8-ball.

I'll agree the talent is not 5-7 talent where they should get blown out in laughers every other week. But, the talent is also not 9 win talent either.

Ya its 8-4 talent......... :)

NU has the defensive talent to win right now...........but first they need to know how to play as individuals, then play together, then we can start to crack some heads..............it all takes time, but it will come.

Just find us a defensive line and some LBs who have seen the field more from playing than the sideline and we will be alright. ;)

Like I have been saying...National Champions. The only questions I have is on defense....and I BELIEVE that will come around with Bo here.

The offense is in place...and I think that if we get lucky with having no key injuries, and the TE's come into play and play well, the offense will be as successful or more so than last year. We may set some records offensively.

Can you imagine the fairy tale story it would be if we did go undefeated and won it all....I can dream...maybe if I can get some people believing with me it will happen. Even the Bible says that where 2 or more come together all things can happen...but I know that some of these other teams have their 2 or more also. Ours might just be better than theirs, who knows.

GBR!!

NU has the defensive talent to win right now...........but first they need to know how to play as individuals, then play together, then we can start to crack some heads..............it all takes time, but it will come.

Just find us a defensive line and some LBs who have seen the field more from playing than the sideline and we will be alright. ;)

The front 7 has no place to go but up............and with a real D coordinator I think they will.

I have always wondered if the star system takes into account the motivation dedication element. Or is just what they see them do. Some kids have bigger motors than others. I think that is where BC screwed up. I still question the desire some of our team has. I do not see that never say die attitude. I actaully saw it get worse last year. Do we have an attitude problem, that Coach Pelini will fix, but is it a quick fix? Will the fix require some playrs losing scholarships? I think he is going to work them hard. Are some of them 3 star recruits because of their lack of work ethic? I have wondered this since the day BC got here. It seemed he got a lot of quitters. Dukes, Jackson, Beck, and some others. Was there a cancer on the team last year. Other than COZ? These are questions that will be answered by the end of spring training.

I still see a team that has adequate talent. Better than KU or MU, close to KU, but quite aways behind MU I am afraid.

Trucker, I promise if they are Nationa Champions, I will fly back there and buy you all the beer you can drink, and I will do my best to stay with you. I have not had a beer since 1967. But if you pull this one off you will be my hero for life.

Realisticly I see possibly 8-4, most likey 7-5. But I do see us in a bowl, no matter what happens. Pelini is no miracle worker. When here before, with NFL talent on the defense, he got pumelled by anyteam with talent. (except Michigan) We need to keep our expectations in check until what he puts on the field this year. He has put enough preasure on himself and the team. We do not need to add to it.

But I truly believe this year is going to be a lot more fan than last year.

It seemed he got a lot of quitters. Dukes, Jackson, Beck, and some others. Was there a cancer on the team last year.

A number of Solich's player quit after spending a year under Callahan.

The is part of article from late 2004...

LINCOLN -- Nebraska's receiving corps has lost another member with the departure of Ross Pilkington.

Pilkington, a team captain as a junior this past season, told the Lincoln Journal Star on Tuesday that he will not return for his senior season.

Pilkington did not immediately return a call from The Associated Press, but he told the Journal Star that he plans to stay enrolled at Nebraska to finish his business degree.

"I'm just going to finish off school and then move on with my life," Pilkington said.

Pilkington finished as Nebraska's leading receiver, with 27 catches, even though he went five games without making a reception.

"There's been a change in tradition, a tradition that's been built up for however many years," he said. "But I think there's a new tradition in the making."

Pilkington said he met with coach Bill Callahan on Monday to tell him his decision. Pilkington said Callahan was positive and wished him good luck.

That's not the kind of experience receiver Andy Birkel said he had when he asked Callahan for his scholarship release last week. Birkel said Callahan never gave him an opportunity to prove himself and that Callahan treated him shoddily when he talked to him.