The Myth and The Truth about the Husker Talent Gap

NU has the defensive talent to win right now...........but first they need to know how to play as individuals, then play together, then we can start to crack some heads..............it all takes time, but it will come.

Just find us a defensive line and some LBs who have seen the field more from playing than the sideline and we will be alright. ;)

The front 7 has no place to go but up............and with a real D coordinator I think they will.

the front 7?

how about all 11...

they played like garbage all year... i agree the front 7 need the most work, but def. the whole side of the ball needs to be much improved...

hahahah

I have always wondered if the star system takes into account the motivation dedication element. Or is just what they see them do. Some kids have bigger motors than others. I think that is where BC screwed up. I still question the desire some of our team has. I do not see that never say die attitude. I actaully saw it get worse last year. Do we have an attitude problem, that Coach Pelini will fix, but is it a quick fix? Will the fix require some playrs losing scholarships? I think he is going to work them hard. Are some of them 3 star recruits because of their lack of work ethic? I have wondered this since the day BC got here. It seemed he got a lot of quitters. Dukes, Jackson, Beck, and some others. Was there a cancer on the team last year. Other than COZ? These are questions that will be answered by the end of spring training.

I still see a team that has adequate talent. Better than KU or MU, close to KU, but quite aways behind MU I am afraid.

Trucker, I promise if they are Nationa Champions, I will fly back there and buy you all the beer you can drink, and I will do my best to stay with you. I have not had a beer since 1967. But if you pull this one off you will be my hero for life.

Realisticly I see possibly 8-4, most likey 7-5. But I do see us in a bowl, no matter what happens. Pelini is no miracle worker. When here before, with NFL talent on the defense, he got pumelled by anyteam with talent. (except Michigan) We need to keep our expectations in check until what he puts on the field this year. He has put enough preasure on himself and the team. We do not need to add to it.

But I truly believe this year is going to be a lot more fan than last year.

I agree it will be more fun next year.......however, The Star System and ranking recuiting classes has been pretty accurate over the year.....the teams that land in the top 25 generally play in the top 25 of the country....thats where you have to ask yourself."why not NU"....the answer is clear....Callahan

All you need to do is to look at the mess he made of the Raiders.....then Look at the mess he made At NU........think it's a coincidence?............not likely........BC was a decent fellow who could not coach a large group of players...he is a great recruiter, but a position coach at best.

Pelini has shown his ability to coach half a team....now that we have given him the shot too coach it all, we will have to wait and see....keeping Watson was so huge for this team, it showed that Bo was no ego freak whom thought he new it all.....he knows the defense is in trouble and he knows he can fix that..he also saw that the offense was clicking and kept his mits outta that.......that is a 180 from BC......

but this thread is about talent........the Huskers played well below their talent level last year...they were also bringing in their 4 th QB under BC......and rebuilding the d-line.........the Huskers did a poor job of all those things.......most if not all can be laid at the hands of BC......Keller was a joke, did he not watch the spring game when Ganz was playin like a stud?..............why did he stay with coz after the 05?

you can lower expectations....but I see wins over VT, KU, CU ,ISU , KSU, BU and a better than 50% shot to beat MU..............talent is there.....and please people, stop with the CU will beat NU next year in Lincoln........they lost a ton of players, and they come to Lincoln.......just stop with that .

Someone mentioned NU being 'slower' than MU and KU. With the exception of Macklin, I dont think that it the case. The 40 times and what not are just fine. And as the offense managed to score just fine on nearly everyone, there isnt a speed issue on that side at all. But watch the games, and watch how the defense played. They played lost, they didnt know where they were supposed to be, and didnt put effort into anything. I can recall a number of times each game where LBs would jog, not run, after the ball carrier.

KU in peticular is not more talented, they just played as a team on both sides of the ball, and were very well coached, not better athletes.

Someone mentioned NU being 'slower' than MU and KU. With the exception of Macklin, I dont think that it the case. The 40 times and what not are just fine. And as the offense managed to score just fine on nearly everyone, there isnt a speed issue on that side at all. But watch the games, and watch how the defense played. They played lost, they didnt know where they were supposed to be, and didnt put effort into anything. I can recall a number of times each game where LBs would jog, not run, after the ball carrier.

KU in peticular is not more talented, they just played as a team on both sides of the ball, and were very well coached, not better athletes.

Talent is measured on the field, not by star rankings. KU looked way faster than NU on both sides of the ball. I know there is talent at NU, that's not an argument, but the way that defense just gave up in the 2nd half was pathetic. I believe Bo will change that, but asking Bo to lead this team to a 93 or 10-2 record next year is not realistic. The North is getting alot better each year, and if history is an indicator of anything New coaches in the Big 12 do not have good first years- Since the beginning of the Big 12 only 2 coaches have lead their teams to winning records during their first year.

They are: Bob Stoops- 7-5 in 1999 and Ron Prince 7-5 in 2006. The others are all below 500. However I think Bo will get this team to 7-5 with Ganz at the helm and even though you lost several key receivers, I still see Ganz finding targets in your spread attack. The defense will improve, but how much? Speed is needed greatly. Bo will change the mindset, and once he has a full season to recruit "HIS" guys he will be able to make a strong run for the North. 2009 Nebraska will be a threat for the North again. But first things first. Build that attitude and change the mindset. 7-5 and a bowl win is my prediction for this team.

Talent is measured on the field, not by star rankings. KU looked way faster than NU on both sides of the ball. I know there is talent at NU, that's not an argument, but the way that defense just gave up in the 2nd half was pathetic. I believe Bo will change that, but asking Bo to lead this team to a 93 or 10-2 record next year is not realistic. The North is getting alot better each year, and if history is an indicator of anything New coaches in the Big 12 do not have good first years- Since the beginning of the Big 12 only 2 coaches have lead their teams to winning records during their first year.

They are: Bob Stoops- 7-5 in 1999 and Ron Prince 7-5 in 2006. The others are all below 500. However I think Bo will get this team to 7-5 with Ganz at the helm and even though you lost several key receivers, I still see Ganz finding targets in your spread attack. The defense will improve, but how much? Speed is needed greatly. Bo will change the mindset, and once he has a full season to recruit "HIS" guys he will be able to make a strong run for the North. 2009 Nebraska will be a threat for the North again. But first things first. Build that attitude and change the mindset. 7-5 and a bowl win is my prediction for this team.

Not to quibble, but Solich was 9-4 his first year, Mack Brown was 9-3, and Mike Leach was 7-6.

My position on this subject is pretty straightforward.

Our offense crackled most of last season, especially under Ganz. With improved O-line play and marginal losses on that side of the ball, it's reasonable to say we could see a continuance if not an improvement. The problems rested almost entirely in the defense, and this wouldn't be the first time Bo whipped a defense into shape. If he can even field and average defense, we should see a decent season when it's all said and done. But moreover, I think we lose players we need to lose on that side of the ball.

If we can play we can compete, if we can compete we can win, if we win we can play for titles, if we play for titles we can win titles.

A lot rides on what the defense does next year. Personally I feel we'll be shocked at how powerful the running game becomes next season. From what I gather the players are pissed, embarrassed, and chomping at the bit to get out there and prove to everyone what they're really made of. That's a pretty good mindset to have when your coach is Bo Pelini. He can take fire and channel it into a well-oiled machine.

My position on this subject is pretty straightforward.

Our offense crackled most of last season, especially under Ganz. With improved O-line play and marginal losses on that side of the ball, it's reasonable to say we could see a continuance if not an improvement. The problems rested almost entirely in the defense, and this wouldn't be the first time Bo whipped a defense into shape. If he can even field and average defense, we should see a decent season when it's all said and done. But moreover, I think we lose players we need to lose on that side of the ball.

If we can play we can compete, if we can compete we can win, if we win we can play for titles, if we play for titles we can win titles.

A lot rides on what the defense does next year. Personally I feel we'll be shocked at how powerful the running game becomes next season. From what I gather the players are pissed, embarrassed, and chomping at the bit to get out there and prove to everyone what they're really made of. That's a pretty good mindset to have when your coach is Bo Pelini. He can take fire and channel it into a well-oiled machine.

I'd be embarrased too....

Not to quibble, but Solich was 9-4 his first year, Mack Brown was 9-3, and Mike Leach was 7-6.

Some valid points made by JGS30. I don't know about Tech, but Nebraska's and Texas' programs weren't in a shambles when changes were made.

although the defense is in need of virtually an entire over haul, we can't survive with a "3 and out" offense either. i would hope with Watson running the O we would be better at ball control and making some sustained drives to keep the D off the field.

If we keep running what we did last year, that wasnt a '3 and out' offense. Top 15 in yards and points. Pure ball control offenses are not a good thing either. They usually have issues scoring when they need to. And in the age of spread offenses, no matter who you are, or how good your defense is, you will have times when you need to score in a hurry. Other than some odd choices in play calling last year, i have no issue with the offense.

in case you missed it, our offense did not play consistently well against some of our opponents. don't forget most of our yards were gained after we were down by 30 or more last year and our opponents 2nd string was in.

the only way the other team can score that much is when our O is on the bench.

I would agree that the offense has not clicked since Crouch....that no joke......Lord had his moments, but NU has lacked a decent offense since Crouch

Last year the Huskers fielded a team that should have been rolling up yards...but BC and Keller Never got it goin....not until the threat of the QB running was returned to the Huskers offense , did NU look good......as to your claim that NU only scored because the other teams subs were in is a joke....the Huskers Never Played KU's Subs or CU's Subs...and KSU played hard to the end..........nobody plays their subs agin Nebraska....they alsways want to pour it on.....Give that a rest....Ganz and the boys turned the corner

and why??????

Because man for man...the Huskers have more talent on the offensive side of the ball than anyone in the North ................and yes this includes MU and KU

in case you missed it, our offense did not play consistently well against some of our opponents. don't forget most of our yards were gained after we were down by 30 or more last year and our opponents 2nd string was in.

the only way the other team can score that much is when our O is on the bench.

I would agree that the offense has not clicked since Crouch....that no joke......Lord had his moments, but NU has lacked a decent offense since Crouch

Last year the Huskers fielded a team that should have been rolling up yards...but BC and Keller Never got it goin....not until the threat of the QB running was returned to the Huskers offense , did NU look good......as to your claim that NU only scored because the other teams subs were in is a joke....the Huskers Never Played KU's Subs or CU's Subs...and KSU played hard to the end..........nobody plays their subs agin Nebraska....they alsways want to pour it on.....Give that a rest....Ganz and the boys turned the corner

and why??????

Because man for man...the Huskers have more talent on the offensive side of the ball than anyone in the North ................and yes this includes MU and KU

armi, i bet i would love what you are smokin! MU beat us 41-6. Thankfully we did not have to play KU last season, it would have been a big win for them too. the O still needs polishing.