Husker QB next season

np_husker

The O rolled with Ganz in there. I'd be shocked if he doesn't start in '08. His arm is average but he knows the system well. Plus his mobility keeps drives going and allows us to run some spread-option stuff.

It will be interesting to see if Lee or Witt can get a real leg-up as the heir-apparent.

I have to disagree here whole heartedly. Did the offense put up a lot of yards YES. Did the offense score a lot of points YES. Did the offense roll NO not really.

1. Yards and Points were high because we were playing teams that scored a ton of points. they had avg defenses and we were playing from behind

2. What i saw was an offense that moved the ball a ton when it didnt really matter. KU was no pressure we were getting crushed. KSU was no pressure as the Cats quit early in that game. CU was really no pressure until halftime.

What happened when the pressure situation hit. Ganz makes awful decisions, even worse throws, and simply kills all momentum we had. We Lose.

What i saw from Ganz was a player with average athleticism and a gunslinger mentality. The problem with that is he has a gunslinger mind and a pop warner arm. He made a ton of bad decisions, more in 3 games than Keller in 9. KU had (4?) picks i believe but should have had 9. not 9 maybe picks but 9 ball hit defender in chest picks, they just dropped 5 of them. There were some really bad throws against KSU we were just fortunate that they didnt hurt us. CU took full advantage of Ganz's mistakes. Not just the picks but other poor throws that killed drives, throws that allowed defenders to make plays on the ball.

I saw a ton of passes from Ganz that took too long to get there due to lack of arm strength. A ton of throws that were caught but were way off the mark.

Call me crazy, but in all reality, there wasnt much of anything Ganz did that impressed me, not even his 20 yard scramble ( why, scrambles like that happen all the time all over the country, we just hadnt seen it with our team so it appeared to be impressive)

If Ganz wins the job in a fair open competition so be it, I just think that means that we wont be near as good as a team as we would like. I say the same thing about the WR if Swift and Petersen are the starters, then we simply arent very good and the question about how much talent we have ANSWERS ITSELF,,,LITTLE

What i saw from Ganz was a player with average athleticism and a gunslinger mentality. The problem with that is he has a gunslinger mind and a pop warner arm. He made a ton of bad decisions, more in 3 games than Keller in 9.

You had me up until this point. More mistakes than Keller? Keller didn't show too much in the WF game, cost us the USC with his HORRIBLE throws and played like ass against Mizzou and Okie St. Ganz comes in and the offense starts playing well. There is no argument about playing from behind because both QB's did it. You don't think we were behind in the USC, Mizzou, Okie St. and Tex A&M games?

Keller: 14TD 10INT AvgDef Ranking Faced: 54

Ganz: 16TD 6INT AvgDef Ranking Faced: 48

I think this could mean the emergance of Niles Paul, Will Henry, Chris Brooks, and Menelik Holt who are all 6'1" and up and who weigh 210+. All players (well maybe except niles paul who was a big recruit but is still a freshman) were highly touted recruits but then disappeared in the roster probably due to Callahan's lack of teaching ability and since he is a horrible motivator.

I agree with the gist of your post, but I think that accusation is totally unfounded. I think the reason those guys disappeared down on the roster is probably because they had better guys ahead of them. When you have Purify, Nunn, Swift, and Peterson as your top 4, it's hard to squeeze too much more playing time for the rest of the crew.

While Purify was good I would call the other three ok and find it disappointing that guys that came in highly touted could not supplant Nunn, Swift or Pederson.

Nunn had a disappointing 07 year after he had a relatively great 06 year. You have to remember that Nunn had ample playing time in Callahan's system as a freshman. Callahan once stated in the OWH that Nunn was incredibly athletic and would be a big part of our offense in the future. How did he go from that to barely playing or making any impact on our offense? I would say the coaching is to blame. I mean, the only big time player we had at wr was Purify and even he disappeared from game to game. IMO when the wrs are doing horribly, thats when you put in some of the second team and subs. It will get them some gametime experience so they can prove how good they really are and it motivates the starters to play harder to keep their spot. Callahan simply couldn't get the right players on the field or get them to play at their full potential.

I have to disagree here whole heartedly. Did the offense put up a lot of yards YES. Did the offense score a lot of points YES. Did the offense roll NO not really.

1. Yards and Points were high because we were playing teams that scored a ton of points. they had avg defenses and we were playing from behind

2. What i saw was an offense that moved the ball a ton when it didnt really matter. KU was no pressure we were getting crushed. KSU was no pressure as the Cats quit early in that game. CU was really no pressure until halftime.

Je$u$ Chri$t, do I have to do this again?

Midway 2nd quarter: NU 21; KU 28 ----- After that: 48-18

Halftime: NU 35; CU 24 ----- After that: 41-16

Final: NU 73; KSU 31 ----- After that: xx

NU points (average allowed) / NU yards (average allowed)

KU: 39 (16.0) / 484 (318.3)

CU: 51 (29.4) / 610 (389.4)

KSU: 73 (30.8) / 702 (400.6)

Yes, Neb was playing from behind for most of the KU game and some of the CU game. But that's when the offense STRUGGLED, not when it scored all its points. In fact, they put up the majority of their points in those two games while the game was still very much in doubt. And while Neb may have been playing against average defenses in Joey Ganz's games (KU, by the way, had the #5 scoring defense and #14 total defense), Neb hit the average number points those teams allowed BY HALFTIME, so even if they were average defenses, Neb obviously put up numbers that were well above average. Plus, the only team that outscored Neb against any of those three teams was the 55 Mizzou hung on Colorado, so we also know that Neb had better offensive days against those three teams than just about everyone else.

And the offense put up 163 points and almost 1800 yards in 3 games, but didn't roll? What would you consider "rolling"? Would they have hit 100 agaisnt KSU? How about 1000 yards?

I think this could mean the emergance of Niles Paul, Will Henry, Chris Brooks, and Menelik Holt who are all 6'1" and up and who weigh 210+. All players (well maybe except niles paul who was a big recruit but is still a freshman) were highly touted recruits but then disappeared in the roster probably due to Callahan's lack of teaching ability and since he is a horrible motivator.

I agree with the gist of your post, but I think that accusation is totally unfounded. I think the reason those guys disappeared down on the roster is probably because they had better guys ahead of them. When you have Purify, Nunn, Swift, and Peterson as your top 4, it's hard to squeeze too much more playing time for the rest of the crew.

While Purify was good I would call the other three ok and find it disappointing that guys that came in highly touted could not supplant Nunn, Swift or Pederson.

Nunn had a disappointing 07 year after he had a relatively great 06 year. You have to remember that Nunn had ample playing time in Callahan's system as a freshman. Callahan once stated in the OWH that Nunn was incredibly athletic and would be a big part of our offense in the future. How did he go from that to barely playing or making any impact on our offense? I would say the coaching is to blame. I mean, the only big time player we had at wr was Purify and even he disappeared from game to game. IMO when the wrs are doing horribly, thats when you put in some of the second team and subs. It will get them some gametime experience so they can prove how good they really are and it motivates the starters to play harder to keep their spot. Callahan simply couldn't get the right players on the field or get them to play at their full potential.

It should worry you that the guy coaching the receivers is still here coaching if you're claim of lack of coaching was the problem. Like I said before, it's funny now that NU has two other coaches on this staff that have had more success coaching the WR position then the one we have now are now coaching RB and Tight end.

I need to clarify myself i guess. I guess to say our offense wasnt rolling was somewhat of a bad statement. We did roll.

However, we will not make it through an entire season rolling as you call it with QB play like last year. Teams are not going to drop 5 interception opportunities a game. We play some very athletic teams that will have a field day with his poor throws. To make it worse they are poor throws with zero zip on the ball.

There has been a hundred questions posted on this board about our talent and how it compares to everyone else. If Ganz Swift and Petersen are starters then in MY OPINION our talent level is the bottom of the Big 12.

Where would Ganz start in the Big 12. Tx no OU no TTech no OSU no MU no KU no KSU no CU ? A&M ? Iowa St yes thats sad at NU we should not have starters that couldnt start for over half the teams in our conference.

It should worry you that the guy coaching the receivers is still here coaching if you're claim of lack of coaching was the problem. Like I said before, it's funny now that NU has two other coaches on this staff that have had more success coaching the WR position then the one we have now are now coaching RB and Tight end.

Why be worried about Ted Gilmore? Pelini had to have kept him for some reason. Far as I'm concerned thats all the reason I need for him to be around still. Ted Gilmore has coached such people as- Taylor Stubblefield*NCAA all-time leader in receptions, John Standeford*Big Ten all-time leader in receptions,and D.J. Hackett*set Colorado record wtih 73 receptions 1,013 yards and he transfered from a nearby college beacause their program was discontinued, he walked on to get Big XII first team and voted MVP of Colorado in 2003 season. Though I'm not going to lie that I would like to see Ron Brown as the WR coach, you have to remember that the offense was Callahan's and if the OC Shawn Watson didnt get to do his job you'd have to wonder if WR coach Ted Gilmore did either.

If Ganz is the guy, I am fine. I thougth he was a playmaker...just needs to cut down on the INTs. INTs happen when you have to score every possesion! Competition is always healthy, but bottom line is, quarterback is the least of my worries for next season!

agree. i am more concerned with the running game and finding some decent TE who can stretch the field and catch the ball, along with some better WR play.

If Ganz is the guy, I am fine. I thougth he was a playmaker...just needs to cut down on the INTs. INTs happen when you have to score every possesion! Competition is always healthy, but bottom line is, quarterback is the least of my worries for next season!

agree. i am more concerned with the running game and finding some decent TE who can stretch the field and catch the ball, along with some better WR play.

I really hope some of the young WR's step up to help out the QB. Nothing against Swift and Peterson cause they're good guys and good possesion type receivers, but we need some speed at the position, some kind of vertical threat that we haven't yet had.

Ganz being the starter is ok with me as long as he is able to improve from last year. But, with his running ability and some of the shots he will be taking, the coaches need to make sure that whoever ends up being the backup will get plenty of reps so if Joe goes down someone will be able to come in and deliver. Again, this is why we need to have a strong running game to fall back on. Handing the ball off is obviously easier than trying to move the ball down the field passing with an inexperienced QB. Our other QBs have yet to take a single snap of D1 ball with exception of Beau Davis, but to me he really doesn't factor in too heavily.

I just want the competition to be open and fair. Joe Ganz rightfully starts the competition in the #1 role because of his experience playing the last three games.

A real vetting and determination has to include Zac Lee and Patrick Witt though because I don't think Ganz was steller enough in the games he played to cement him as the starter for the year. To anyone who touts Joe as THE #1 QB for the coming year based on the last three games, I would ask you to go back at those games and watch them again. Again, I love Joe's mobility...his big strength in my opinion, because it can turn a 3rd and 4 into options of scrambling for a 1st down or just a quick roll out pass/option to get the 1st downs and chains moving. In this offense, that is what you want...just get 1st downs, run the clock, wear down the opposing teams Defense and score TD's.

But, and it is a huge BUT, I saw too many errant passes from Joe that were waaaaay off target and many that were straight into opposing players arms and were luckily not intercepted, though of course, he did have too many INT's as it was anyways.

Turnovers will absolutely kill this Nebraska this coming year with our defense being less tahn a strength of the team. We will need to capitalize on field position and have opponents have to drive the field 70-80 yrs...at least 60 to beat many of the teams we play because offenses are so explosive in the college game today, especially the Big Spread conference (my new nickname for the Big 12).

If Joe throws INT'S at the rate he did in those three games, we are totally screwed. That is what he needs to work on...accuracy and decision making.

If either Witt or Lee do a better job in the competition, I think they should start. Don't turn the ball over...win the QB job.