Anyone Heard from Bill Callahan?

I think it's human nature when one gets fired he stays away from the public eye.

You're right...Mussolini was like that too...

What? he was in the public eye immediately after his firing: http://www.interet-general.info/IMG/mussolini3.jpg

That picture wasn't taken immediately afterwards...that was taken a few month's later, right after Italy was shut out by the Miami Dolphins to go winless in pre-season.

Mussilini's last words...."I'm doing an excellent job" Honest!

Bill did his best... he was a square peg forced in a round hole and the rest is history. I say good luck to him, its not like he didnt win any games... just enough to make Husker Nation realize that we were moving in the right direction with the wrong "captain".... Damn the icebergs, full speed ahead!

Alright, we need to get something straight. Back in 94' and even when we started running the option, we didn't run it every play. We didn't even run an option 50% of the total plays. Nebraska was a power-I offense but everyone just associated us with the option because when it was called we couldn't be stopped. Yes I know that there was a few games that we ran it alot but if the other team couldn't stop it, why stop calling it. You have complete control of the clock and the game. Frank was the one that used the option too much, Crouch was good but he should have pitched to ball to Diedrick more, he (Diedrick) led the conference in rushing his junior year and then his senior year came around and he didn't get as many touches. I believe if he had, that we would have had an even more punishing offense.

Anyway, if I can dig up the article, I will post the comment a former player made when talking about how much we used the option. That's where I got my info from. Osborne used to set people up with option and then use misdirection, fullback traps, and the tightend almost to perfection. The option pass was a thing of beauty when defenses would crowd the line to stop the run.

I still believe that the offense Osborne used to run would still work today, but the only man that could make it work is now our AD. Offense still comes down to the basics; put a man on a man, sustain your block, don't make stupid penalties. In other words, EXECUTION. Just like what Bo preaches on defense, do the little things and the big things take care of themself.

:yeah

Drove me nuts when Crouch would have 3 defenders hanging on him and still wouldn't pitch it to Diedrick.....

:yeah

Anyone heard from Bill Callahan?

Yeah, he played here in St. Louis last Friday night:

Fri 02/29/08 - Bill Callahan - Blueberry Hill's Duck Room

I didn't make it to the gig however.

He's come out of the closet with his music career while we were distracted by Bo!

Biography by Heather Phares

After almost 20 years of using the alias Smog for his music, former Nebraska Cornhuskers head football coach Bill Callahan switched to his given name for his releases after 2005's A River Ain't Too Much to Love. The 2007 EP Diamond Dancer and full-length Woke on a Whaleheart both mixed the intimate, reflective, largely acoustic sound of later Smog albums like Supper and A River with gospel, soul, and pop elements, and boasted arrangements by former Royal Trux mastermind Neil Hagerty.

I heard he was railing Cat Power for a while, too.

I think it's human nature when one gets fired he stays away from the public eye.

You're right...Mussolini was like that too...

Of course, when Mussolini failed, he was murdered and his corpse was drug through the street. I am not sure BC was there yet, but he and Cosgrove were on the path (mostly joking, but BR fans were PISSED).

If I were Callahan, I would not say much. A team with Nebraska's talanet should not win 5 games 4 years into the mission. He only won 5 games in year one and they stuck with him (I was bitter, but I loved old school Husker Option football combined with hard nose defense, so I felt vinidicated in my bitterness). Anyway, Ironically, he never matched the 10 win season that Solich got fired for. I think, in Hindsight, Solich's firing was a bigger error than the Callahan hiring in a lot of ways. Solich getting canned after winning 10 had to scare a lot of the other options off... Pederson deserved his canning every bit as much, if not more, than BC and Cosgrvoe (OK, maybe not more than Cosgrove). IS there ANY chance the option wil come back? I have ranted on this message board before, I think it would stil work. THe wishbone may not, but the Big Red won pretty recently with that system and it matched well with the talent the could reliably get.... That is a lot of titles and title games to be dismissing it....

I am still totally depressed about the '07 season, i mean, i feel that the Big Red i have worshiped and been married to for 48 yrs, up and left me.....AND I'M NOT EXAGERRATING!!! lol!

BIG RED PLEASE COME BACK TO ME....TOO ALL OF OUR NATION!

Anyway, so i take it that Cali got a job with the Jets? OC? That's too bad since i live out here in MA and have to endure Jets regional games from week to week.

And are there any updates on the previous unmentionable DC, you know, the one that used to 'coach' the 'Blackshirts'? :rollin

Anyone with updates on Cali and THAT OTHER GUY, please let me know........

p.s., oh yeah, we will definitely see the read option stuff next year in the mix, especially if Ganz is at the helm, or Lee..... :restore

Anyone heard from Bill Callahan?

Yeah, he played here in St. Louis last Friday night:

Fri 02/29/08 - Bill Callahan - Blueberry Hill's Duck Room

I didn't make it to the gig however.

He's come out of the closet with his music career while we were distracted by Bo!

Biography by Heather Phares

After almost 20 years of using the alias Smog for his music, former Nebraska Cornhuskers head football coach Bill Callahan switched to his given name for his releases after 2005's A River Ain't Too Much to Love. The 2007 EP Diamond Dancer and full-length Woke on a Whaleheart both mixed the intimate, reflective, largely acoustic sound of later Smog albums like Supper and A River with gospel, soul, and pop elements, and boasted arrangements by former Royal Trux mastermind Neil Hagerty.

I heard he was railing Cat Power for a while, too.

Funny stuff!

I thought Beaux Cali was going to try and revitalize his Hollywood cameo roles as a Beaux Bridges stand in?

Werent they gonna make a movie about Big Red over the past 4 yrs? I think it's supposed to be a comedy! Special guest appearence by BORAT!(as Steve Peterson) :koolaid2:

Bill did his best... he was a square peg forced in a round hole and the rest is history. I say good luck to him, its not like he didnt win any games... just enough to make Husker Nation realize that we were moving in the right direction with the wrong "captain".... Damn the icebergs, full speed ahead!

I couldn't agree more. BC wasn't a bad guy, I'm not even sure he was a bad coach. I suspect that with everyone in the country talking about him needing a "signature" win he and the staff probably put too much emphasis on the SC game and when it fell apart everything fell apart. I give the guy credit for a couple of things:

We didn't have a ton of guys getting into trouble, we graduated a lot of players and at least for a while we had an infusion of excitement in the football program. Nothing like now but more than we had with Solich. He also brought some modern concepts to the game. Little things like the pancake block isn't all it's cracked up to be. Sustaining a block long enough to get the job done and moving on to the next guy also isn't such a bad idea. He also put us back on the minds of recruits all over the country where Frank seamed a bit limited in his recruiting.

BC is a very good offensive guy(no pun), and has very good character, i think, just couldnt get the team to play tough, and hired that unmentionable d coord.

It's good he is in NYC, he can pursue his acting career on the side.....