Was Pelini the best option for the Huskers?

Was Pelini the BEST option going forward?  

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, keeping Callahan around wasn't a viable option IMO.

k. But that doesn't mean you HAD to hire Pelini.

Out of curiousity....since you might not like Pelini, who would you have hired that would have come in here and lit a fire under these guys butts like they need...especially the defense (that was even available or would have even considered the position)? That isn't Gill's style, so it definately would not have been him.

I think they got the right guy for the job. I also think that it is BS to be having this conversation at this point in time. Pelini IS the coach...and as fans, we should be acting like we believe in him until he shows reason to do otherwise. Why are we planting a seed of skepticism? I think anyone that doesn't want to believe in the program as it is at this point, and support it, and who is running it, is not a real Husker fan. What is going to happen, when we lose our first game are you guys going to start asking for his head on a platter? Give me a break...like I said, this whole discussion is BS. I am betting it is the same doubters on this thread that will try to get that band wagon rolling.:bang

I don't like to think that NU is somewhere that head coaches go to cut their teeth, but options 2 and 4 are ridiculous.

If Pelini "cuts his teeth" the same way Bob Stoops did at OU, I have no problem with it.

As for option 4, (keeping Callahan) I will just pretend like that option is not there. I like to pretend like the entire Callahan era never existed. Sweet- we still have our bowl streak and KU hasn't beat us in decades. Rock.

That's exactly my point. It's a gamble I am not sure that was needed to be taken.

Sure, in the end it's really about the person and whether they are right for the position but you gotta wonder..

Thats how it goes with any coach you hire. "Proven", to me, only means proven at a certain school. I dont feel that winning 8 and 9 games at a MAC or CUSA level means a thing about wining at a school that believes they should be among the elite. Fran was a 'proven' guy when A&M hired him, didnt work out that well. You just cant tell. It is ALL about fit. Hopefully Pelini is our right fit. He doesnt have a season under his belt yet, but so far he has managed to say the right things, and we dont have players jumping ship to transfer, so to me, it looks good so far.

I don't like to think that NU is somewhere that head coaches go to cut their teeth, but options 2 and 4 are ridiculous.

If Pelini "cuts his teeth" the same way Bob Stoops did at OU, I have no problem with it.

As for option 4, (keeping Callahan) I will just pretend like that option is not there. I like to pretend like the entire Callahan era never existed. Sweet- we still have our bowl streak and KU hasn't beat us in decades. Rock.

That's exactly my point. It's a gamble I am not sure that was needed to be taken.

Sure, in the end it's really about the person and whether they are right for the position but you gotta wonder..

Thats how it goes with any coach you hire. "Proven", to me, only means proven at a certain school. I dont feel that winning 8 and 9 games at a MAC or CUSA level means a thing about wining at a school that believes they should be among the elite. Fran was a 'proven' guy when A&M hired him, didnt work out that well. You just cant tell. It is ALL about fit. Hopefully Pelini is our right fit. He doesnt have a season under his belt yet, but so far he has managed to say the right things, and we dont have players jumping ship to transfer, so to me, it looks good so far.

:yeah I totally agree. If there was a coach that was perfect for all situations, there would be a school somewhere right now with a National Championship with a HC that has done it several times with several different teams. And he would probably be making far and above anyone else, because as we know, money talks in college football. I don't see any coaches running around like that, and if there were they would not be available because whoever had them would make sure they were happy right where they were. dedhoarse

What is this, a joke? I hope whoever chose the last option was kidding.

like hax said, BP's 1.0 so far. 100% winning percentage! Clearly there should be only one option on that ridiculous list.

8]

No they weren't kidding. This thread was started by a Jayhawk fan, and the last option was voted on by a Buffalo. We welcome everyone here, the good ones anyway. Why wouldn't they want Callahan to stay? Also there still are a select few Husker fans who have the thought that Callahan could have done great things here had he fired Cosgrove, woulda coulda shoulda.

I would have pushed the "Hire Barry Switzer" option...now THERE was a guy who could have brought Nebraska back to the top of the Big 12 mountain. Course, then he would have pushed the program over the cliff...but that's beside the point. I was always taught that winning isn't the most important thing...it was the ONLY thing.

Lombardi would have been a good choice too except he's dead....which would rank him just slightly above Callahan in my mind....

What is this, a joke? I hope whoever chose the last option was kidding.

like hax said, BP's 1.0 so far. 100% winning percentage! Clearly there should be only one option on that ridiculous list.

8]

No they weren't kidding. This thread was started by a Jayhawk fan, and the last option was voted on by a Buffalo. We welcome everyone here, the good ones anyway. Why wouldn't they want Callahan to stay? Also there still are a select few Husker fans who have the thought that Callahan could have done great things here had he fired Cosgrove, woulda coulda shoulda.

Oh yes, thanks for pointing that out.

I obviously voted for Cally :)

Anyhow, I have said this since the begining of the downward spiral that Bill throatslashed himself when he choose loyalty to Cos over loyalty to the program. Bill's offense was a very good offense and on the verge of really exploding on the national scene but was hampered by an inept Texas Tech type of defense. When he failed to fire Cos in the middle of the season he in essence fired himself.