Southern Miss series announced

Its a two way street when it comes to scheduling. If other big name schools do not want so schedule us, there is little that we can do. I don't know if many ADs are talking to TO about scheduling us but I am glad that we are scheduling teams like Southern Miss ahead of time rather than scrambling around to find an Applachain St at the last minute to just fill our schedule.

just as long as we don't lose to App St. :P

Don't overlook one thing that the Southern Miss game gives us - an "in" into SEC recruits. Mississippi traditionally has a ton of D-1 recruits - enough for Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Southern Miss, with a few to the non-Miss SEC schools. This will give us some presence in the SEC, which is tough to come by when most SEC schools probably wouldn't grant us a home-and-home series. With the games with Tennessee, and now this, it can only help in any recruiting efforts in SEC territory.

This has been discussed several times on the radio. It's not that Nebraska hasn't tried to get the higher end teams, they just won't agree to do a Home/Away series. If you try to schedule a Florida, LSU, Boston College, Michigan, etc......... for a non-conference game they all want it to be a one year deal and they want the home field advantage.

Don't overlook one thing that the Southern Miss game gives us - an "in" into SEC recruits. Mississippi traditionally has a ton of D-1 recruits - enough for Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Southern Miss, with a few to the non-Miss SEC schools. This will give us some presence in the SEC, which is tough to come by when most SEC schools probably wouldn't grant us a home-and-home series. With the games with Tennessee, and now this, it can only help in any recruiting efforts in SEC territory.

:yeah Very good point... :clap

BTW, if anyone cares to watch it again, or doesn't remember it, Dailey's 4th down run out of bounds can be found at 5:15 in this video...

i8_zQKWWfjg

You deserved to be punched in the face for even posting that video. I had that game on tape, but I burnt it the same evening because there was no way I would watch that thing again.

If there had been a Husker fan that had came down from the stands and kicked the crap out of Dailey for that play, I would have gladly pitched in to help for his legal fees in getting him out of the charges that would go against him.

BTW, if anyone cares to watch it again, or doesn't remember it, Dailey's 4th down run out of bounds can be found at 5:15 in this video...

i8_zQKWWfjg

You deserved to be punched in the face for even posting that video. I had that game on tape, but I burnt it the same evening because there was no way I would watch that thing again.

If there had been a Husker fan that had came down from the stands and kicked the crap out of Dailey for that play, I would have gladly pitched in to help for his legal fees in getting him out of the charges that would go against him.

:woo I was thinking the same thing. I came close to throwing my screen out the window a couple of times watching that.

Very good point, might give us more access to the deep-south. You know damn well Arkansas was thinking recruiting when they agreed to a 10yr series with ATM with every game played in Texas. Match-ups with a local team can help you network that area, Mizzou has gotten some nice early commits out of their trip to the Cotton Bowl.

i8_zQKWWfjg

:yeah I was trying to be civil...but to hell with that...I have to agree, you should get your butt kicked for posting that video.... :box

You are not gonna recruit Mississippi effectively my friend. They do not leave the South. I am not including the Odd JUCO, it does not say where those went. I am including the kids who did not get a scholarship from an SEC team or even Southern Miss. I'll define the south as the confederacy and border/slave states, for the purpose of the exercise. I list however many rivals had on its "top prospects for the state" for Mississippi

Rivals top 25 2008 - NONE left the south

Rivals top 25 2007 - ONE left the south, to Stanford

Rivals top 25 2006 - NONE left the south

Rivals top 25 2005 - NONE left the south

Rivals top 20 2004 - ONE left the south, to the HUSKERS

Rivals top 30 2003 - NONE left the south

So of the 180 top players in the last 7 years, TWO left the south. They like that home cookin or something. I guess you guys got one, so that is something, but I am not liking your return on investment....

You are not gonna recruit Mississippi effectively my friend. They do not leave the South. I am not including the Odd JUCO, it does not say where those went. I am including the kids who did not get a scholarship from an SEC team or even Southern Miss. I'll define the south as the confederacy and border/slave states, for the purpose of the exercise. I list however many rivals had on its "top prospects for the state" for Mississippi

Rivals top 25 2008 - NONE left the south

Rivals top 25 2007 - ONE left the south, to Stanford

Rivals top 25 2006 - NONE left the south

Rivals top 25 2005 - NONE left the south

Rivals top 20 2004 - ONE left the south, to the HUSKERS

So of the 180 top players in the last 7 years, TWO left the south. They like that home cookin or something. I guess you guys got one, so that is something, but I am not liking your return on investment....

our current coaching staff may have a better idea of what exactly it takes to recruit in SEC country though.. not saying its going to happen.. personally, i like the series because it gives us another 'respectable' game during those 3 seasons.. southern miss is not a push over game such as the other cupcakes are, but they are not a game that should be too tough to win.. i think its not a bad deal at all...