Not 1s vs 1s

I just think it's his way of nicely saying "Nobody has a job locked up on this team so you better do your god damned best on Saturday cuz if you don't, we'll find a guy that does"...

I like that...I should have been a coach

What? And ruin that career as a down-and-distance chain holder?

Perish the thought!

Florida did the same thing

That was surprising.

I can understand a new Coaching staff trying to show everybody there's still time (Summer) to improve your position and move up the depth chart, but I would think an established staff would play them according to their preconceived notions (Last year's depth chart).

Just remember whether there is 85000 people watching or a dozen reporters watching it's just one scrimmage. One scrimmage isn't going to gel anybody together. There are plenty of ways for players to "gel" off the field and in practice.

Like get each other an ant farm (Just got one with it's own Gel for our hybrid's 7th Birthday)..

gel-ant-farm-b.gif

Florida did the same thing

That was surprising.

I can understand a new Coaching staff trying to show everybody there's still time (Summer) to improve your position and move up the depth chart, but I would think an established staff would play them according to their preconceived notions (Last year's depth chart).

Ohio State does it the same way. Two players are captains and they pick the teams. (A scrimmage between the No 1 Offense and the No 1 Defense is held about a week before hand to determine the winner of the coveted Scarlet Jerseys. :sarcasm)

Anyway, supposed to be some great tradition. Perhaps they were running things this way when Bo played there or maybe he got the idea from his days with LSU or Oklahoma.

I had always thought it was kind of a dumb format (draft), but it seems like at least a few schools are taking this approach. I suppose it does foster some sort of team unity between Offensive and Defensive players and between the 1s and 2s which other formats might inhibit.

This is a horrible idea from the standpoint of quite a few things need to get ironed out among this team and this isn't a way to do it.

First, the defense needs an opportunity to gel. The defense is going through a complete overhaul and needs time playing alongside actual starters for a chance to learn in an actual game setting. The LBs especially need a chance to play alongside each other and not some 2nd and 3rd stringers.

The offensive line needs time to gel. The scheme in which they block has changed which is a huge thing in itself. Moreover, the offensive line will always need time playing alongside guys they will starting with.

I could go on with this, but you get the idea.

I know Bo is getting at the idea he wants to let the kids have fun, but this coming Saturday isn't exactly the best time considering what we need to continue to work on. We only get so many spring practices and right now we need to use each of them wisely. Especially when you consider where we are at defensively.

I'd personally prefer 1s versus 2s over this format.

Its just one practice basically, there will be plenty of time to gel.