Terry Bowden on Nebraska's future

yah, there are parts of the article that just scream, "AW C'MON SOMEONE PLEASE GIMME A JOB!!!"

in fact, the first paragraph is *completely about him. he is in nebraska, his team went 11-0, his daddy overshadowed him by winning a national championship.

and the aside that he wishes he was bo pelini? that just sounded desperate.

he wants back into coaching bad. but after the way he left auburn, i dunno if that's ever gonna happen.

The fact he couldn't land the SMU job says alot.

I realize there probably aren't a lot of Bears fans here....

but Buddy Ryan never was HC for the Bears. He was DC...then left for....I think the Eagles?

Yep. Not sure what Bowden was referring to there. Perhaps an explanation for why he sucked so bad in Arizona. The teams in Philly were pretty good and were known for their ferocious defenses.

Nice read, I think it has alot of valid points and the question that's coming to my head is this....

"Well, Why not?"

I was thinking, because we already run some of that Zone Read out of the shotgun, all you have to do as a Coach/OC is just implement little bits of it at a time. Like you were saying Ganz will be fine but he's no VY or DD and the such. I do however think this kind of Offense would play right into Zach Lee's strengths in a year or 2. Your thoughts?

yah, there are parts of the article that just scream, "AW C'MON SOMEONE PLEASE GIMME A JOB!!!"

in fact, the first paragraph is *completely about him. he is in nebraska, his team went 11-0, his daddy overshadowed him by winning a national championship.

and the aside that he wishes he was bo pelini? that just sounded desperate.

he wants back into coaching bad. but after the way he left auburn, i dunno if that's ever gonna happen.

The fact he couldn't land the SMU job says alot.

actually, SMU really *really* wants to return to glory like in the days of old before they were crucified by the NCAA.

not many people remember that SMU was at one-time a powerhouse. the have three national championships and had quite a few SWC titles to boot. the boosters want to win again and think june jones is the man. heck, guy that can turn hawaii into a plausible contender must be doing something right.

if i had to choose between bowden and jones, i'd go with jones any day of the week and twice on a sunday.

This is a great article. The WCO is the offense of the 80's and early 90's. It's great for professionals who have 100 hours a week to devote to football, but it's just too much for college kids to perfect. If we can run some zone read, and unlike Calllllllahan did, if we gradually move from the WCO to a zone read/option style of offense, we can return to the elite.