RB Knile Davis

From today's edition of the Arkansas Democrat Gazette

THE RECRUITING GUY: Texas running back has power game

By Richard Davenport

Originally published 03:22 a.m., August 8, 2008

Updated 03:22 a.m., August 8, 2008

LITTLE ROCK — Highly coveted running back Knile Davis of Missouri City, Texas, has the attributes Arkansas Coach Bobby Petrino likes in a running back.

He’s big and fast.

Davis, 6-0, 212, 4.48 speed in the 40-yard dash, has approximately 20 scholarship offers, including offers from Oklahoma, LSU, Nebraska, Arizona, Missouri and Texas A&M. He said Arkansas offered a little more than a week ago.

Davis’ season was cut short because of a broken collarbone, but he rushed for 450 yards last year at Class 5A Marshall in just over four games. He didn’t start until late in the year as a sophomore but still rushed for more than 700 yards that season.

“I’m more of a power back,” said Davis, who has run the 200 meters in 21.68 seconds. “I like to run between the tackles, but at the same time I’m pretty quick and I can go around you and outrun you.”

Davis knew of former Hogs running backs Darren McFadden and Felix Jones when he told Marshall Coach Darryl Phipps about his offer from the Razorbacks.

“I told him to add them to his list and he said, ‘Hey, Coach, those are some pretty big shoes to fill there. They just lost two first-rounders,’ ” Phipps said.

Phipps said Davis can bench press 360 pounds, squat 545 and power clean 295.

Davis plans to take official visits to his top five schools: Oklahoma, Nebraska, Arkansas, LSU and Missouri. He hopesto take two visits during the season and three after the season.

Razorbacks assistant Kirk Botkin is recruiting Davis.

“I talked to him one time after I received my offer,” said Davis, who plans to major in accounting with a minor in broadcasting. “He was telling me he wanted me down for a visit, and I told him as soon as I look at my schedule, I plan to give him a call.

“He said he’s looking for a big back to carry the load.”

National recruiting analysts Tom Lemming of CBS College Sports said Davis is an impact player.

“He’s a slashing back with real good speed,” Lemming said. “He could come in and compete for a starting job as a true freshman.”

Davis is one of the preseason nominees for the Houston Touchdown Club’s Player of the Year award.

• 4 weeks later...

From today's Arkansas Democrat Gazette...

THE RECRUITING GUY Coaches use speed dial to get edge

By Richard Davenport

LITTLE ROCK — Monday was the first day college coaches could call prospects since May, and Razorbacks coaches took advantage of every second.

Razorbacks coaches started contacting recruits at 12:01 a.m. Monday morning. One of those receiving a call was highly recruited running back Knile Davis, 6-0, 212 pounds, 4.48 seconds in the 40-yard dash, of Missouri City (Texas) Marshall.

Davis said he missed the call from defensive ends coach Kirk Botkin because he was working at a local restaurant but returned the call later that day.

“He said he wanted to be the first one to call and tell me how much he really wanted me,” said Davis, who has about 20 scholarship offers. “I didn’t answer because I was at work. He wanted me to call him back. I called him Monday around 4 in the afternoon. We talked about getting my visit set up. He said they weren’t going to do a lot of visits until November. I told him I’ll be ready to go up there in November.”

Davis said he received calls from 10 or 11 schools, including Texas Tech, Southern Miss, Texas A&M, Mississippi State and TCU.

He said the Razorbacks were No. 1 on his list, followed by Oklahoma and Nebraska. He said the timeliness of Botkin’s call caught him off guard.

“It shocked me for real,” Davis said. “I didn’t expect it to start at 12:01. It really surprised me, but I want to go there just as bad as they want me to go there.”

***SNIP***

By Richard Davenport

LITTLE ROCK — Monday was the first day college coaches could call prospects since May, and Razorbacks coaches took advantage of every second.

Razorbacks coaches started contacting recruits at 12:01 a.m. Monday morning. One of those receiving a call was highly recruited running back Knile Davis, 6-0, 212 pounds, 4.48 seconds in the 40-yard dash, of Missouri City (Texas) Marshall.

Davis said he missed the call from defensive ends coach Kirk Botkin because he was working at a local restaurant but returned the call later that day.

“He said he wanted to be the first one to call and tell me how much he really wanted me,” said Davis, who has about 20 scholarship offers. “I didn’t answer because I was at work. He wanted me to call him back. I called him Monday around 4 in the afternoon. We talked about getting my visit set up. He said they weren’t going to do a lot of visits until November. I told him I’ll be ready to go up there in November.”

Davis said he received calls from 10 or 11 schools, including Texas Tech, Southern Miss, Texas A&M, Mississippi State and TCU.

He said the Razorbacks were No. 1 on his list, followed by Oklahoma and Nebraska. He said the timeliness of Botkin’s call caught him off guard.

“It shocked me for real,” Davis said. “I didn’t expect it to start at 12:01. It really surprised me, but I want to go there just as bad as they want me to go there.”

***SNIP***

Some M-F'er calls my kid at midnight he's getting a foot shoved up his ass.

By Richard Davenport

***SNIP***

Some M-F'er calls my kid at midnight he's getting a foot shoved up his ass.

I was thinking the same thing! ;)

• 3 weeks later...