Besides talented, what type of players needed for NU to be successful

What quality should a recruit have?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As we found out under Cally, talent alone doesn't cut it.

I would tell this one defensive end I coached he had containment, don't get sucked in on the boot-leg. And time after time he would let the QB to go around him. No, I didn't coach the KC Chiefs, it was Pop Warner.

Hopefully our coaches are looking for a combination of these characteristics. Of course we want talent but we also want a natural leader, a scholar, and some one with heart who's willing to put it all on the line for the team. Talent is a must though, a lot of the other characteristics can be taught through practice and a little discipline.

Take those first four...combine them all together...and you had Cy...the ultimate recruit!

Unfortunately...that "other" catagory was the one that had "Talent" included in it. Nobody checked that box when I was looking for a place to play....apparently it has some kind of bearing on whether people want you on their team or not....<_<

In the words from "The Replacements", What Nebraska needs to win is HEART. I think that Bo Pelini is instilling into the minds of the players that it's time to run through the opposition. Nebraska was supposed to have such a blue chip recruiting class under Callahan, and we didn't do so hot because he didn't understand the desire that has to be there in the players. The Blackshirts are going to be WIRED in '08 too and looking to sack the QB's and get some touchdowns of their own. I wish that we had a shot against USC with the Pelini Huskers rather than the Callahan version.

Hopefully our coaches are looking for a combination of these characteristics. Of course we want talent but we also want a natural leader, a scholar, and some one with heart who's willing to put it all on the line for the team. Talent is a must though, a lot of the other characteristics can be taught through practice and a little discipline.

I checked other, as that is where Talent was....

Considering we lead in the most academic All-Americans, I think choice one can be thrown out. I don't think the players of the last 4-6 years were any less scholastic than those of a decade or so ago. Leadership. This is the one I chose. Tommie Frazier was a leader. He was hated by most of his teammates, but they all respected him. His leadership is what go us over the hump. A lot of the players on the NC teams did not have outstanding character. I can't remember for sure but like 6 guys on the 95' NC team had felony charges against them. Less talent, more desire. This could be a good choice, but I think that's what we had in the late 80's to very early 90's. Good enough to win most games, but just not quite enough to get by the really good teams.