Past versus Present

The more times change…the more they stay the same.

I can't help but picture Cy as Matthew Mcconaughey in Dazed and Confused... leaning back with one foot against the wall .. "that's what i love about these high school chicks, I get older.. they stay the same age"

Totally related story....last summer I took my daughter on some college visiting trips along with some of her friends who were considering the same colleges. We took about 5 or 6 overnight trips to various places...we'd take off after I got off work, drive to where we were going, crash for the night and then visit the campus the next day. This fall, at a vollyball awards dinner, I had to get up and say a few words so I got up on stage, cleared my throat and said...."I don't really know most of you parents here tonight but I have spent the night with some of your daughters....."

Needless to say...I was not asked to speak at the Spring banquet.... <_<

cy.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just as a little something to keep me busy between football season and death…I did a little reminiscing comparing game day circa 1983 to game day present. Surprisingly, the routine hasn’t really changed all that much.

Then: Rude awakening by staff telling me it’s time to get up…

Now: Rude awakening by dog telling me he needs to go out and take a dump…

Then: Hearty breakfast of healthy, nutritious food…

Now: Hearty breakfast of hops and barley….

Then: Report to training room for taping

Now: Apply liberal dose of Preparation H

Then: Suit up in Game Day uniform

Now: Try to find two black socks that match and don’t smell too bad.

Then: Check equipment, tighten pads, make adjustments…

Now: Find yard marker. Make sure the 1, 2, 3 and 4 are all there…

Then: Pre-game meeting. Go over game plans

Now: Run to C-store. Get six-pack.

Then: Loosen up with pre-game calisthenics and stretching exercises

Now: Loosen up with 12-ounce curls

Then: Pre-game prayer and pep talk

Now: Pre-game belch and dump

Then: On the field for special teams stardom…attempt to trip up opposing KR

Now: On the sidelines for relative anonymity…attempt to trip Chizek with yard marker

Then: Stand on sideline…watch action on the field

Now: Stand on sidelines…watch for hot moms in parent’s section

Then: Final gun…shake opponent’s hands and congratulate them on beating us

Now: Final gun…run to parking lot before beer tent closes

Then: Go out, get drunk and hopefully get laid

Now: Go out, get someone else drunk so I can hopefully get laid

You really played at ISU? Thats awesome!!

Not according to Jim Walden....

But I was reportedly a member of the team 1980-84, back when Cyclone Football and Jumbo Shrimp were both accepted oxymorons when used by English majors in the term papers they wrote for me...uh...I mean, that I wrote.... <_<

Maybe I am too young to know Jim Walden... if you donned a helmet, pads, etc. and took the field with the Clones, then you were a player!

But I was reportedly a member of the team 1980-84, back when Cyclone Football and Jumbo Shrimp were both accepted oxymorons when used by English majors in the term papers they wrote for me...uh...I mean, that I wrote.... <_<

Maybe I am too young to know Jim Walden... if you donned a helmet, pads, etc. and took the field with the Clones, then you were a player!

What??? He was an assistant at NU in early '70s. He bailed/left/fired when TO was named HC.

What??? He was an assistant at NU in early '70s. He bailed/left/fired when TO was named HC.

Yep...Walden came along right at ISU right after they fired the man voted most inept football coach in the entire galaxy (and my good buddy and coach) Jim Criner. That made Walden the 2nd most inept football coach in the entire galaxy...but lots more likeable. Criner was just a total dumb sh#t.

I remember Walden..Or at least his Pond..

Probably the 1st book I read before college that didn't have pictures or have a yellow and black cover (Cliff's Notes).

Really..I thought he just coached Washington State or Oregon State prior to ISU..Maybe a grad assistant under Devaney for awhile?

I can't help but picture Cy as Matthew Mcconaughey in Dazed and Confused... leaning back with one foot against the wall .. "that's what i love about these high school chicks, I get older.. they stay the same age"

Totally related story....last summer I took my daughter on some college visiting trips along with some of her friends who were considering the same colleges. We took about 5 or 6 overnight trips to various places...we'd take off after I got off work, drive to where we were going, crash for the night and then visit the campus the next day. This fall, at a vollyball awards dinner, I had to get up and say a few words so I got up on stage, cleared my throat and said...."I don't really know most of you parents here tonight but I have spent the night with some of your daughters....."

Needless to say...I was not asked to speak at the Spring banquet.... <_<

cy.jpg

:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound Amen!!!!