Running Game

I am predicting that Nebraska is in the top 3 for total rushing yards this year in the Big12. We are bringing back a stable of good runners and I honestly think that we will see Watson have an offense eerily similar to the one that torched us when he was at CU.

Marlon is going to be running with nothing to lose this year, I think we are going to see some moves and some broken tackles like never before. He was running soft last year, self admittedly, and I think he is going to realize that if he doesn't pull out all the stops there are other backs that will come in and play, plus he needs to show those NFL scouts that he has that extra something needed in the nfl.

I also want to see Mendoza with the ball in his hands, for those that saw the spring game this year, he was scooting around the outside quicker than any RB we have had for awhile.

Then there is Castille. If he can hold on to the rock he is going to see his share of carries. I feel sorry for the first little corner that has to try to bring him down after he has a head of steam. :koolaid2:

Any body else have some thoughts on the running game????

I am predicting that Nebraska is in the top 3 for total rushing yards this year in the Big12. We are bringing back a stable of good runners and I honestly think that we will see Watson have an offense eerily similar to the one that torched us when he was at CU.

Marlon is going to be running with nothing to lose this year, I think we are going to see some moves and some broken tackles like never before. He was running soft last year, self admittedly, and I think he is going to realize that if he doesn't pull out all the stops there are other backs that will come in and play, plus he needs to show those NFL scouts that he has that extra something needed in the nfl.

I also want to see Mendoza with the ball in his hands, for those that saw the spring game this year, he was scooting around the outside quicker than any RB we have had for awhile.

Then there is Castille. If he can hold on to the rock he is going to see his share of carries. I feel sorry for the first little corner that has to try to bring him down after he has a head of steam. :koolaid2:

Any body else have some thoughts on the running game????

I think Lucky is pretty good, it will be interesting to see how the Big red play under Bo to see how they use him. I think it should be in the top half, regardless.

Helu should get his share of carries as well, i think he will fit in nicely to our system and be the "#2" although all of those guys will definately get plenty of carries.

I think most of the success of our running game will depend on our line. It seemed like under Cally the past 2 years they could push around the cakey teams, but when it came down to a hard-nosed conference game they couldn't push and make any holes at all. Hopefully thats better this year.

Helu should get his share of carries as well, i think he will fit in nicely to our system and be the "#2" although all of those guys will definately get plenty of carries.

I think most of the success of our running game will depend on our line. It seemed like under Cally the past 2 years they could push around the cakey teams, but when it came down to a hard-nosed conference game they couldn't push and make any holes at all. Hopefully thats better this year.

I agree. One of my concerns this season is seeing if our boys up front have what it takes to take a game over. I want to see if they can take getting punched in the mouth by say...OU and not fold. Talk is cheap and Bo and the other coaches can only do so much when it comes to being physical.

If our O-line can establish themselves and control the line of scrimmage then our running game should be better than it has been in quite awhile. It may be later in the season before we see our O-line and D-line for that matter, grow into being the "attacking" lines we need. We have the running backs to do well. The line just needs to prove itself. Also, the receivers having more of an emphasis on blocking should help too.

agreed the huskers have a deep stable at running back....lucky / castille / helu / mendoza....what if kenny wilson some how comes back at 100%...wow...

...the big line will for sure be tested against the best of the best this year when the huskers visit the sooners and their defensive front....

...if Ganz can distribute the ball to our receivers and keep defenses on their toes the offense should be ok...

...lets hope the Blackshirts re-emerge as one of the most aggressive units in college football to help out the offense...

Something more than the "zone read, off tackle, right...." for sure. That was such a joke, everyone knew what running play we were going with every time. Give me some I formation, and stop trying to be cute. Castille and Lucky in the same backfield.. or mendoza and lucky, then you can use them as receivers as well. There are a lot of options.

I certainly think that there is going to be a renewed emphasis on the running game. For a defensive perspective, the most difficult team to game plan is a balanced team - you can't commit the defense to stopping just the run or just the pass.

But what is the thing that defensive coordinators fear the most? A strong running attack. First, it keeps the defense on the field and wears them down - particularlly late in the game. Second, it makes it far easier to pass. Given Bo's background, you just have to think that while he wants a balanced offense, his first priority is establishing the running game.

I certainly think that there is going to be a renewed emphasis on the running game. For a defensive perspective, the most difficult team to game plan is a balanced team - you can't commit the defense to stopping just the run or just the pass.

But what is the thing that defensive coordinators fear the most? A strong running attack. First, it keeps the defense on the field and wears them down - particularlly late in the game. Second, it makes it far easier to pass. Given Bo's background, you just have to think that while he wants a balanced offense, his first priority is establishing the running game.

I agree, it is hard to win without a strong running attack. Even Tech, with their air it out offense, has had some pretty tough running backs.

ok, let's see if Watson can at least field a 2 back set and mix things up a bit. Callahan sure couldn't figure anything out, let's see if Watson can use

his talent a little more effectively than Cally did......show me something!

God, I hate defending Cally, but..

I was pleasantly surprised by our success running the ball ...As little as it was, we weren't that far from a balanced attack durring a couple of games.

Especially impressive when you consider the type of Linemen we were recruiting and probably stressing pass blocking over run blocking in practice.

Part of our success was probably due to the Establishing the pass to open up the running game, but whatever works..

I'd prefer more "Power I" thrown in there, though.