OU Players arrested for cocaine

You're right...he did post it on a message board. However, the guy used a template to create a newspaper article in an apparent attempt to make it seem as if it were true. Joke or not, it was in extremely bad taste IMO.

But will you agree that a lawsuit would be rediculous??

Our apologies from the rest of us real Husker fans. There are always a few who make the rest of us look bad. Obviously not a true fan.

Please don't go holier than thou.

A fan is a fan. We are not all robots.

Technically, that's libel. He's getting off light with just one lawsuit.

Forgive me for the stupid Question, but why is there a difference (Public figure vs. Private)?

Seems that Both parties would be injured.

I'm not sure they could be considered private figures... in their surrounding areas at least.

Who would you be more likely to recognize in a restaurant? Our starting QB or Baylor's head coach?

The rationale is that a person who is a public figure is such because he sought out that position of notariety - he has to accept that the position will carry with it the "slings and arrows" of the public.

That's the main distinction. If you are not a public figure, you don't have to prove that the intent of the person was malicious - it's enough that they acted in a manner that caused you harm by issuing a false statement. Since you didn't put yourself into the public eye, you should have a reasonable basis to expect a degree of protection. The protection for someone that places themselves in the public eye is less - and thus the reason that they have to prove malice.

The distinction that doesn't make sense to me, AR, is why a public figure must put himself into the public eye. Whether a football player wants the attention or not, a guy who's mentioned in hundreds of newspaper articles every year, many of them on a national level, should hardly be defined as a "private" figure.

There's probably a case to be made for libel. I don't know the legal details about that. But it seems far from proven that Mr. Conradt had some notorious private beef with the parties in question. I mean, if student A pulls this stunt on Student B at the same university, then, yes, that's probably a case of private individual malice. It doesn't seem to be the same case here.

The distinction that doesn't make sense to me, AR, is why a public figure must put himself into the public eye. Whether a football player wants the attention or not, a guy who's mentioned in hundreds of newspaper articles every year, many of them on a national level, should hardly be defined as a "private" figure.

There's probably a case to be made for libel. I don't know the legal details about that. But it seems far from proven that Mr. Conradt had some notorious private beef with the parties in question. I mean, if student A pulls this stunt on Student B at the same university, then, yes, that's probably a case of private individual malice. It doesn't seem to be the same case here.

You could almost say that overachievers (College Football players) "Put themselves out there".

Many just play for the love of the game, a few play to pay for their education, Still... quite a few seek fame and fortune.

Probably why I decided not to become a movie star..Dealing with all the paparazzi and the yellow journalism.

That plus the fact I have no talent and I grew up thinking most actors were gay. <_<

I tend to agree. Some (if not most/all) college football players have to realize and accept there could be some degree of publicity involved when playing; especially when they choose to play at a big name program such as OU. Not to mention the fact he's the starting quarterback. Whether he likes it or not or whether he wants it or not, he's become a "public figure". That would be my argument.

So it has been my belief that nothing is going to come from this because defamation suits are hard to win in this country. Many of you seem to believe otherwise. Is there any new information to indicate that the deep-pocketed father is going to pursue charges?

Not a good idea, should of know better.

C'mon. It's the internet and was just a joke.

I wonder if there will be a desperate lawyer that will take this case.

I'll take the case and sue you also.

"Sue me for what?"

-Rocky Balboa

:dumdum

Man, that is so deep, did you graduate from NU?

neutral corners, kids. let's keep it civil.