CollegeFootballNews.com Preview: Nebraska 2008

Good read. Kind of whats been said here. Seems like the passing game will be the thing to watch for. I will take Swift on my team any time. We all have our favorite players, mine is Nate Swift. I think he steps up big time.

Now just sitting back and counting the days till kickoff.

GBR!!!

Projected Top Reserves: There will be an ongoing battle for the number two job between senior Beau Davis and sophomore Zac Lee. The 6-2, 210-pound Lee was a star scout teamer last year with a strong, accurate arm with just enough quickness to run for a first down now and then. He was considered by many to be the top JUCO quarterback coming out of San Francisco CC two years ago.

The 6-4, 180-pound Davis has been a career backup, mostly an emergency, No. 3 sort of quarterback, but he knows what he's doing, is a good practice player, and could see a little bit of meaningful time if something happens to Ganz. He's not Davis, but he's still in the hunt for the No. 2 job.

6-4, 225-pound Patrick Witt might be the star of the future. The true freshman got to school early and had a nice spring last year, and with a big-time arm, good size, and maturity in the offense, he has the potential to step into the starting job next year. Now he has to work his way into a better backup role.

Um, what?

These kind of things are nice, comfortable reads. But you have to wonder if they have the slightest clue of what they're talking about sometimes...

Plus, I think these guys are kind of being stat whores. I'm not sure they actually watched our games. Lucky was our leading rusher and receiver, but wasn't a tough runner last year (with stats padded by the Nevada game). And while Ganz is a straight-up baller, he isn't going to just easily "complete 65% of his passes and minimize interceptions":

Look for Ganz to be fantastic. For all of Nebraska's problems last year, throwing the ball wasn't one of them. The passing game was always efficient and put up 324 yards per game. Ganz won't have to do that. He'll be asked to complete around 65% of his throws, keep the interceptions to a minimum, and keep the chains moving. He can do that.

Uh huh. With a less stellar receiving corps, and the loss of his favorite target (Mo), Ganz is going to post up a 7% increase in completion percentage, and cut down on his interceptions? Right. I mean, he might. But I think this is misplaced optimism. And what's this "always efficient"? Was this article written by the same person who noted, on at least two other occasions, that the offense sputtered and died for a huge middle stretch of the season?

But hey, we averaged 324 yards per game, so it must have been always efficient. :shrug:

A little more griping on my part:

Strength: Accuracy. While everyone will be crossing their fingers and holding their breath every time Ganz takes a shot, the Husker quarterbacks can throw well. Give Bill Callahan credit for getting strong-armed, accurate passers.

OK. Ganz is a gamer. But he doesn't have a cannon for an arm. Nor - I might be wrong here, though - was he the model of accuracy. Nor does Davis show much "promise" at this point, as mentioned in the next paragraph. Anyways.....

(edit again) Okay, one more, but only 'coz this really bothers me:

Hetzer was supposed to come in from the JUCO ranks and played right away last year, but he suffered a knee injury and was out and questionable for early this year.

What's with this website and getting the years our players came in (Hetzer, Witt) wrong? Wow.

Projected Top Reserves: There will be an ongoing battle for the number two job between senior Beau Davis and sophomore Zac Lee. The 6-2, 210-pound Lee was a star scout teamer last year with a strong, accurate arm with just enough quickness to run for a first down now and then. He was considered by many to be the top JUCO quarterback coming out of San Francisco CC two years ago.

The 6-4, 180-pound Davis has been a career backup, mostly an emergency, No. 3 sort of quarterback, but he knows what he's doing, is a good practice player, and could see a little bit of meaningful time if something happens to Ganz. He's not Davis, but he's still in the hunt for the No. 2 job.

6-4, 225-pound Patrick Witt might be the star of the future. The true freshman got to school early and had a nice spring last year, and with a big-time arm, good size, and maturity in the offense, he has the potential to step into the starting job next year. Now he has to work his way into a better backup role.

Um, what?

These kind of things are nice, comfortable reads. But you have to wonder if they have the slightest clue of what they're talking about sometimes...

Plus, I think these guys are kind of being stat whores. I'm not sure they actually watched our games. Lucky was our leading rusher and receiver, but wasn't a tough runner last year (with stats padded by the Nevada game). And while Ganz is a straight-up baller, he isn't going to just easily "complete 65% of his passes and minimize interceptions":

Look for Ganz to be fantastic. For all of Nebraska's problems last year, throwing the ball wasn't one of them. The passing game was always efficient and put up 324 yards per game. Ganz won't have to do that. He'll be asked to complete around 65% of his throws, keep the interceptions to a minimum, and keep the chains moving. He can do that.

Uh huh. With a less stellar receiving corps, and the loss of his favorite target (Mo), Ganz is going to post up a 7% increase in completion percentage, and cut down on his interceptions? Right. I mean, he might. But I think this is misplaced optimism. And what's this "always efficient"? Was this article written by the same person who noted, on at least two other occasions, that the offense sputtered and died for a huge middle stretch of the season?

But hey, we averaged 324 yards per game, so it must have been always efficient. :shrug:

A little more griping on my part:

Strength: Accuracy. While everyone will be crossing their fingers and holding their breath every time Ganz takes a shot, the Husker quarterbacks can throw well. Give Bill Callahan credit for getting strong-armed, accurate passers.

OK. Ganz is a gamer. But he doesn't have a cannon for an arm. Nor - I might be wrong here, though - was he the model of accuracy. Nor does Davis show much "promise" at this point, as mentioned in the next paragraph. Anyways.....

(edit again) Okay, one more, but only 'coz this really bothers me:

Hetzer was supposed to come in from the JUCO ranks and played right away last year, but he suffered a knee injury and was out and questionable for early this year.

What's with this website and getting the years our players came in (Hetzer, Witt) wrong? Wow.

An increase in accuracy and fewer INTs is easy to get when the opposing defense doesnt expect the pass all the time. And while Ganz may not have a 'cannon' is has an arm that is capable of making all the throws the offense requires. Losing Purify isnt a good thing, but with as many WRs as are on the roster, it wouldnt be a shock to see one step up and become a game changer. The writer does seem to have some of the back up names confused. But when it comes to the 3rd or 4th deep anyone on the roster, I dont expect anyone who doesnt cover a team full time to know them all.