SHAWN WATSON

There was speculation on Watson taking the Alabama OC job, remember?

For some members of the staff (i.e, Barney, Ron Brown), I can't see them leaving. But you have to wonder if Watson is ready to bolt at the first opportunity. I hope not. I hope he develops a loyalty to this program and stays for a good many years...but we'll see.

Considering what they pay Saban, if moolah was his motivation, he probably would have packed the wagon and headed south. I think he's here for awhile. If the team does well and he sees an NC in the near future, that's motivation to stay until you've got the ring. If not, how many places are you going to go northward of Nebraska? You're in charge of the offense of one of the elite programs in college football. Unless a tasty HC gig pops up, I don't picture him giving too many glances toward the door. He had his OC shot already. He turned it down. Someday? Sure. Next season? A bit early to predict something that big.

I think Watson will be here at least two more years. Any more than that would be a bonus.

I am hopeful that whatever year Watson does take a Head Coaching job is the same year Al Davis throws another tantrum and fires Lane Kiffin for real this time. So we can bring him in.

On Carl, I don't see him leaving any time soon, but if he does get a head coaching job it means the Blackshirts are back. It also means we have a more than qualified replacement currently coaching the secondary right now.

I think if he does well this year, and there is no reason to think he won't, he will be supported well by the fans and the team and get Huskermania as other coaches in the past have done, and show his loyalty to Nebraska.

I don't get why people think that he will show loyalty to a program. Watson will do what he thinks is best for him and his family not the program. (That's the way it should be) Fans are loyal to the team, players and coaches are not.

I think if he does well this year, and there is no reason to think he won't, he will be supported well by the fans and the team and get Huskermania as other coaches in the past have done, and show his loyalty to Nebraska.

I don't get why people think that he will show loyalty to a program. Watson will do what he thinks is best for him and his family not the program. (That's the way it should be) Fans are loyal to the team, players and coaches are not.

Yeah, it is pretty hard to turn down a tripling or quadrupling of one's salary and becoming a head coach. I wouldn't begrudge him that choice. It would be great if he decides he wants to be loyal to Nebraska, but I don't think we can expect that....

My guess on who would replace him would be Barney Cotton.

God I hope not!!!! :blink:

Let's assume Watson does leave for a HC job next season. Who do you think will replace him as OC? If I had to lay money down, I'd bet Cotton gets the nod. I'm not saying it's the right or the wrong choice. I just think it will be the choice if Watson does leave.

My guess on who would replace him would be Barney Cotton.

God I hope not!!!! :blink:

Let's assume Watson does leave for a HC job next season. Who do you think will replace him as OC? If I had to lay money down, I'd bet Cotton gets the nod. I'm not saying it's the right or the wrong choice. I just think it will be the choice if Watson does leave.

God, please, no.

Do a search committee and hire somebody from outside. Maybe Beck could do it. But anybody but Barney.