Now that it's August...

Kansas has been improving each season with Cheesefries (sorry, I just love that nickname) at the wheel. I don't expect them to put together another season quite as good as the last, but I think they're still going to have enough of a lead on Nebraska to beat us. I'm expecting a damn good game, though.

No question we have alot to prove and play for. By no stretch are we on the hilltop, sipping tea. The chip on our shoulders is now bigger than Mangino and I'm not even sure if he can devour it! The chip has been growing ever since we finished 12-1, yet placed only 7th in the BCS. KU should of been top 5. Explain how MU finishes 4th, despite losing to the 9th place Sooners-twice!! Ugggh. OK, I'm getting off track.

I don't know. Mizzou fans are probably still asking how they beat BOTH Illinois AND Kansas and STILL didn't get into a BCS Bowl.

No question we have alot to prove and play for. By no stretch are we on the hilltop, sipping tea. The chip on our shoulders is now bigger than Mangino and I'm not even sure if he can devour it! The chip has been growing ever since we finished 12-1, yet placed only 7th in the BCS. KU should of been top 5. Explain how MU finishes 4th, despite losing to the 9th place Sooners-twice!! Ugggh. OK, I'm getting off track.

I don't know. Mizzou fans are probably still asking how they beat BOTH Illinois AND Kansas and STILL didn't get into a BCS Bowl.

And my response to that is Missouri not only lost for a second time to OU, that got embarrassed 38-17. That didn't leave a good taste in the Orange Bowl Committees mouth.

So you're saying KU has to go 12-1 again this year for you to respect them? Heck, I don't even think Florida could go 12-1 with the schedule KU has to play, and I think Florida is the best team in the country.

You have HIGH standards........hmmmm...you must be disappointed often being how you are a Husker fan. :)

I see that the South Florida game is at 7 PM on 9/12 (Friday). I'm guessing this will be on TV, and I hope it is so I can see how The Greater, Bigger, Faster, Stronger, Smarter Kansas Jayhawks fare in their first real challenge of the season. It should be interesting. Even more interesting is how Kansas - as a team - will respond if they lose this game. They are on top of the world right now, but it's real easy to plummet to the molten core and get burned...

The same can be said of Nebraska and their first "real" challenge against Virginia Tech, who Kansas eeked out a victory against (I use the term "real" loosely, because Western Michigan should definitely not be taken lightly, and the first few games may be a little iffy as the defense tries to get their ducks aligned). Will the Huskers be able to recover if they lose this game? I think that NU has better leadership this year, and a loss early on will not affect them later on down the road.

While the players are the ones actually in the game, there is a TON to be said on how important leadership is on any team (in sports, in business, etc.). Any team tends to act in a way that is consistent with those people at the top. Whatever those at the top consider a top priority, those underneath will follow suite. This is especially true if those people underneath believe in what those at the top are saying.

While the wins may not come this season, I still feel the Huskers will at least have a 7-5 record. Kansas? They are still unproven. They had one really good season. That's great, but doesn't earn much respect from me...especially after looking at their 2007 schedule. Any team in any given year can have the stars align just right so they have a good season (see Hawaii), but you have to be able to sustain that success in order for it to mean anything. If Kansas is able to duplicate their success this year, they will have my respect. Until then, they are still just Kansas...

Oh my gosh. I'm not even going to respond to this. KU is more unproven than NU? That's crazy talk. Have you lost your mind??? Did Nebraska win a BCS game last year against the #3 team in the country? Geeez...I must of missed that. Plus the fatc that you add a new coach, with a new system, yet you can say with confidence at least 7-5? Interesting to say the least. :dunno

real'97champs - There is nothing wrong with your predictions. They're your own. Dont worry 'bout the smack.

JGS30 - if some pick KU to win & some pick NEB to win, how are you going to find your resolve? A lot of huffing and puffing isnt going to get people to jump on the Jayhawk bandwagon & agree with you. People call 'em differently.

I'm not so sure who will win the game (NEB/KU), but I'm pretty sure it will be a tough football game regardless. However, I am 110% sure that South Florida will beat the Jayhawks.

Captain Obvious - your first response wasnt just straight foward, but it was hilarious. damn.

Peace-OUT!

And my response to that is Missouri not only lost for a second time to OU, that got embarrassed 38-17. That didn't leave a good taste in the Orange Bowl Committees mouth.

So you're saying KU has to go 12-1 again this year for you to respect them? Heck, I don't even think Florida could go 12-1 with the schedule KU has to play, and I think Florida is the best team in the country.

You have HIGH standards........hmmmm...you must be disappointed often being how you are a Husker fan. :)

The only reason Mizzou lost twice to the same team was because they went to the Conference Championship; the same Conference Championship that Kansas was kept out of due to Mizzou. So, I guess if Mizzou lost to Kansas, and Kansas was matched up against Oklahoma in the Championship and lost, then Mizzou would have went to the Orange Bowl instead. Punishing those teams getting closer to the Conference Championship when some Conferences don't even have one...wow, that makes sense. Great job BCS!

And no, they don't have to go 12-1, but with all the "greatness" that apparently is now Kansas, they should have no problem posting 9 wins during the regular season, right?

Ha...we will see.

I see that the South Florida game is at 7 PM on 9/12 (Friday). I'm guessing this will be on TV, and I hope it is so I can see how The Greater, Bigger, Faster, Stronger, Smarter Kansas Jayhawks fare in their first real challenge of the season. It should be interesting. Even more interesting is how Kansas - as a team - will respond if they lose this game. They are on top of the world right now, but it's real easy to plummet to the molten core and get burned...

The same can be said of Nebraska and their first "real" challenge against Virginia Tech, who Kansas eeked out a victory against (I use the term "real" loosely, because Western Michigan should definitely not be taken lightly, and the first few games may be a little iffy as the defense tries to get their ducks aligned). Will the Huskers be able to recover if they lose this game? I think that NU has better leadership this year, and a loss early on will not affect them later on down the road.

While the players are the ones actually in the game, there is a TON to be said on how important leadership is on any team (in sports, in business, etc.). Any team tends to act in a way that is consistent with those people at the top. Whatever those at the top consider a top priority, those underneath will follow suite. This is especially true if those people underneath believe in what those at the top are saying.

While the wins may not come this season, I still feel the Huskers will at least have a 7-5 record. Kansas? They are still unproven. They had one really good season. That's great, but doesn't earn much respect from me...especially after looking at their 2007 schedule. Any team in any given year can have the stars align just right so they have a good season (see Hawaii), but you have to be able to sustain that success in order for it to mean anything. If Kansas is able to duplicate their success this year, they will have my respect. Until then, they are still just Kansas...

Oh my gosh. I'm not even going to respond to this. KU is more unproven than NU? That's crazy talk. Have you lost your mind??? Did Nebraska win a BCS game last year against the #3 team in the country? Geeez...I must of missed that. Plus the fatc that you add a new coach, with a new system, yet you can say with confidence at least 7-5? Interesting to say the least. :dunno

here's some food for thought, since according to you, NU has more proven going into this season that KU is, then lets play a game. How would NU of done playing KU's schedule last year???

Here is what we know- You lost to OSU, A&M, and CU, and of course we beat you head to head. I doubt you would of beat Central Michigan who was a bowl team since you barely squeked by Mighty Bowling Green. The Toledo game would of been a toss up, and did you guys beat ISU?

You're post makes no since dude. :moreinteresting

here's some food for thought, since according to you, NU has more proven going into this season that KU is, then lets play a game. How would NU of done playing KU's schedule last year???

Here is what we know- You lost to OSU, A&M, and CU, and of course we beat you head to head. I doubt you would of beat Central Michigan who was a bowl team since you barely squeked by Mighty Bowling Green. The Toledo game would of been a toss up, and did you guys beat ISU?

You're post makes no since dude. :moreinteresting

When did I say that Kansas is more unproven than Nebraska? I was saying that one loss for either team could cause problems for games later on in the season and how leadership is an important part of any team. I think you need to slow down and comprehend what you are reading a little better rather than jumping the gun and responding right away. And Bowling Green? I must have missed that game last year.

Yeah, I did say that Kansas is unproven, but I DID NOT say that they were more unproven than the Huskers. Over the history of both programs, yes, Kansas is highly unproven compared to Nebraska. But just taking 2007 into consideration, Nebraska has more to prove than Kansas does.

Again, slow down and read what is actually being said before responding. Reading comprehension is very important.

You don't have to respond to that. Just compare NU's and KU's records the last 40 yrs. About the BCS game you got lucky in being picked over Mizzou. Just to put to rest who has done more in the last few years lets lay it out. This is since the start of the Big XII.

Kansas: no North Division Championships, 1 BCS win

Nebraska: 4 North Division Championships, 2 Big XII Championships, 1 National Championship Game appearence

Who is more proven?

Now if you are talking about this year then of course NU has more to prove. But Kansas fans are in no position to start guarenteening wins. Maybe after a few years of beating teams consistantly then yeah.

KU is bigger, stronger, faster, more disciplined and more experienced than Nebraska. They won't, and haven't been intimidated by the lincoln crowd the last several trips. You won't beat Reesing and my Hawks. We hung 76 on you last year and our team is even better. Who is gonna tackle us? Bo?

JayHawk Syndrome (n.): A pervasive self-serving delusion of grandeur stemming from an overrated seasonal burst shortly after the turn of the 21st century. Symptoms include sharp spike in self confidence, an inability to judge schedule strengths, and a general disregard for rational expectations.

I've also heard it referred to as Mizzou-itus, the really neat thing about this is that only people in the states of Kansas and Missouri are susceptible to contracting this life altering cancer..... its not know to kill(yet), but research is still being done. Kansas and Mizzou fans don't panic, because there is a treatment in the works as we speak.......... they call it BO

KU will be better than last year. There is no question about that. We lost 2 guys-Talib and Collins-keep in mind that Collins played hurt the last 5 games of the year. Talib is the only guy we lost from a very strong secondary.

Talib is gone? That WILL help KU. Now NU's WR won't zip right past him into the endzone.

You're forgetting this is Kansas land. Jayhawk fan's aren't deterred by these little facts. Yeah, their gritty home-grown defense got smoked for 484 yards and their disciplined secondary gets to answer for 405 of them. Ganz made a few bad decisions, the crowd played a factor, and we didn't field a defense. Had we played anywhere but the Twilight Zone this would have been an entirely different game.

This is what Kansas fans need to understand. I'm not predicting a sure-fire win. What I'm predicting is a game Kansas sure as hell better not overlook, especially if they're doing well at that point in the season. Nebraska's offensive production will probably stay reasonably stable. We're going to run the ball. You're not going to see as much of Reesing. Mangino is going to have to scheme against Bo freakin' Pelini. No offense, but cupcake-munching Kansas isn't the worst monster Pelini's ever had to watch on film. Just ask Ohio State.

It'll be a fun game once it gets here. Nobody can make accurate picks at this point, but going off the info, 10-3 is almost laughable. Believe it or not Kansas is still a team with something to prove. You guys aren't sitting on the hills of the promise land drinking tea. You overachieved against weak opponents. Congratulations. Now let's see what Mangino can do against some real tests.

Down here in Kansas land one of the radio talking heads actually said "Of all of the Big 12 coaches, Mangino is the best Xs and Os coach. Period. Not Stoops. Not Pinkel. Mangino. No question."

We'll see

Oh stop being such a pessimist! We prefer to say we rid ourselves of a g** d*** incompetent blow hard of a coach.