Now that it's August...

As a USF season ticket holder (my wife's an Alum) I pray to God that KU comes in with the confidence and cockiness that JGS30 has. George Selvie will have 3 sacks, the USF secondary will have 3 picks, and Reesing will be eating the turf in Raymond James stadium, all while the Bulls come away with a 2+ TD win. When they get their asses beat on national Television, and KU leaves the field to a shower of cheeseburgers from the student section (and Mangino eats 6 before he even gets to the tunnel), I'll be standing in section 214 with my Husker gear on screaming "See you in Lincoln, Losers!!!"

I'm really looking forward to this game also. I started following the Bulls after watching them thump on West Va. last season. Hopefully they can put together a full season. If USF comes out this year like last year then Kansas had better have it strapped on. I read somewhere that USF specifically recruits its players to stopping Pat White, well WV runs the spread. Kansas also runs the spread with more passing. If they can shut down KU's run game and make them one dimensional, a win will not be out of the question.

Agreed, and with KU losing their 3rd RB in as many weeks, it's gonna be interesting. The achilles of USF's defense the last 2 years has been great between the tackles running, which KU won't have this year.

As a USF season ticket holder (my wife's an Alum) I pray to God that KU comes in with the confidence and cockiness that JGS30 has. George Selvie will have 3 sacks, the USF secondary will have 3 picks, and Reesing will be eating the turf in Raymond James stadium, all while the Bulls come away with a 2+ TD win. When they get their asses beat on national Television, and KU leaves the field to a shower of cheeseburgers from the student section (and Mangino eats 6 before he even gets to the tunnel), I'll be standing in section 214 with my Husker gear on screaming "See you in Lincoln, Losers!!!"

I'm really looking forward to this game also. I started following the Bulls after watching them thump on West Va. last season. Hopefully they can put together a full season. If USF comes out this year like last year then Kansas had better have it strapped on. I read somewhere that USF specifically recruits its players to stopping Pat White, well WV runs the spread. Kansas also runs the spread with more passing. If they can shut down KU's run game and make them one dimensional, a win will not be out of the question.

Agreed, and with KU losing their 3rd RB in as many weeks, it's gonna be interesting. The achilles of USF's defense the last 2 years has been great between the tackles running, which KU won't have this year.

USF doesn't have McCarney running the defensive show this year though so the advantage of KU losing depth at RB is kind of offset by USF not having McCarney.

Wait...what am I saying? Without McCarney, USF should eat KU alive in what would have otherwise been a close game.

McCarney was just the Defensive Line Coach. Coach Leavitt and DC Wally Burnham are the real brains, although I do think McCarney had quite a bit to do with Selvie's emergence. Oh, and Cy, I'm sure you'll be happy to hear that Tyrone McKenzie is a freakin' beast, and from what I hear, one of the smartest players in USF history(short as it is).

Didn't look too good against Oregon's spread, or did UofO go with their I-formation stuff they lost their starting QB. USF losing their MLB, 2nd in tackles, and the starting corners can't be good either. Their offense should be pretty good with only 1 starter lost and Grothe back. Anyway, I'll definitely watch that game with interest. Not sure why all the Nebraska fans want Kansas to lose. I'd like them to be undefeated when the Huskers beat them.

Didn't look too good against Oregon's spread, or did UofO go with their I-formation stuff they lost their starting QB. USF losing their MLB, 2nd in tackles, and the starting corners can't be good either. Their offense should be pretty good with only 1 starter lost and Grother back. Anyway, I'll definitely watch that game with interest. Not sure why all the Nebraska fans want Kansas to lose. I'd like them to be undefeated when the Huskers beat them.

Honestly, it was a combination of the team just being happy to be there, and Oregon exploiting the size of the Defensive Tackles. As far as Ben Moffit, the MLB, being gone, that's not much a an issue IMO as Tyrone McKenzie, the leading tackler, slid over into his spot. This bigger question, IMO, is the loss of Jenkins and Williams, the best CB tandem IMHLO...

As far as wanting Kansas to lose, KU fan along with MU fan has gotten way to big of a head after 1 season of success...

I see that the South Florida game is at 7 PM on 9/12 (Friday). I'm guessing this will be on TV, and I hope it is so I can see how The Greater, Bigger, Faster, Stronger, Smarter Kansas Jayhawks fare in their first real challenge of the season. It should be interesting. Even more interesting is how Kansas - as a team - will respond if they lose this game. They are on top of the world right now, but it's real easy to plummet to the molten core and get burned...

The same can be said of Nebraska and their first "real" challenge against Virginia Tech, who Kansas eeked out a victory against (I use the term "real" loosely, because Western Michigan should definitely not be taken lightly, and the first few games may be a little iffy as the defense tries to get their ducks aligned). Will the Huskers be able to recover if they lose this game? I think that NU has better leadership this year, and a loss early on will not affect them later on down the road.

While the players are the ones actually in the game, there is a TON to be said on how important leadership is on any team (in sports, in business, etc.). Any team tends to act in a way that is consistent with those people at the top. Whatever those at the top consider a top priority, those underneath will follow suite. This is especially true if those people underneath believe in what those at the top are saying.

While the wins may not come this season, I still feel the Huskers will at least have a 7-5 record. Kansas? They are still unproven. They had one really good season. That's great, but doesn't earn much respect from me...especially after looking at their 2007 schedule. Any team in any given year can have the stars align just right so they have a good season (see Hawaii), but you have to be able to sustain that success in order for it to mean anything. If Kansas is able to duplicate their success this year, they will have my respect. Until then, they are still just Kansas...

Oh my gosh. I'm not even going to respond to this. KU is more unproven than NU? That's crazy talk. Have you lost your mind??? Did Nebraska win a BCS game last year against the #3 team in the country? Geeez...I must of missed that. Plus the fatc that you add a new coach, with a new system, yet you can say with confidence at least 7-5? Interesting to say the least. :dunno

You don't have to respond to that. Just compare NU's and KU's records the last 40 yrs. About the BCS game you got lucky in being picked over Mizzou. Just to put to rest who has done more in the last few years lets lay it out. This is since the start of the Big XII.

Kansas: no North Division Championships, 1 BCS win

Nebraska: 4 North Division Championships, 2 Big XII Championships, 1 National Championship Game appearence

Who is more proven?

Now if you are talking about this year then of course NU has more to prove. But Kansas fans are in no position to start guarenteening wins. Maybe after a few years of beating teams consistantly then yeah.

I guess you're both right then. Nebraska did prove to be a legit 5-7 team last year. Undeserving of a bowl, and of my respect. No question. :) Enjoy the cheap seats in the peanut gallery as KU competes for the North title again.

Rock Chalk!! :koolaid2:

Well when your RESPECT means anything to us we'll let you know. You should be able to better explain

the enjoyment of the cheap seats since that's where KU fans have been sitting for the past 90 years :koolaid2::moreinteresting

Well when your RESPECT means anything to us we'll let you know. You should be able to better explain

the enjoyment of the cheap seats since that's where KU fans have been sitting for the past 90 years :koolaid2::moreinteresting

Yeah, but KU scored 76 on us last season. Remember? REMEMBER!?!?!?

:rolleyes:

No. Last I remember I was tuning in to see Nebraska give USC a run for its money and then everything goes dark.

I have stayed out of it, due to not being around, but I notice one thread you Huskers are stuck on. How good KU was 7 years ago means nothing. Who won in 1977 means nothing. Who has a better program now means a lot. I am not saying your awesome history, and it is awesome, is completely irrelevant, but some of the things you are throwing out are not gonna make much difference in who wins the NEXT 10 games between our teams, which is what we are excited about. I think your great fan support and tradition will be a nice edge and will help you. If you asked me, right now, to say how many Cornhusker games we will win over the next 10, I would say 4 or 5. We have been the better team, on average, in the last 4. We have a coach who has taken us from crap to good (no talk of Dynasty, but we are pretty good). We had a much better team last year, our recruiting has caught up with your, we have some awesome FOOTBALL ONLY facilities and we have some momentum. What you have is known and I respect it a lot, but I think your dominance over the Jayhawks is most likely a thing of the past. I give about 2-1 that the final vestiage falls this autumn. Best of luck to you, I hope things turn in a better direction, but you guys need to look at how other programs were built. Old Howie Schnellenberger (sp?) made Miami in a power in the early 80s out of Nothing. FLorida State was no good until Bowden. Florida had not even won the SEC until 1991, much less a national title. I am NOT saying we are destined to be one of these, which are in recruit central, but they show how who was winning in the 70's and 60's does not mean who is going to be good later.

We may come up and quickly wane, but we have a good coach and have invested a lot while things have gone better. Our teams won week after week after hearing how we were a fluke and how each week we would be exposed. I not going to rehash my arguments, too many of you have heard them, but who won in 1985 has NO effect on who is gonna win this fall. The players have gotten past that with the last 4 games (we almost win at your house while winning big in ours). So good luck, we know you are gonna come to play, but so will we. Count on that.

I hate to point it out, but until Devaney, you guys were not realy that great either, not in a sustained way. You could win some conference titles, but You all had a 62.7% win percentage in the 74 years before Devaney, and while that is good, great came after 1961. You guys built up a great thing and it will probably carry you through BC and hopefully a while longer until it is back producing 9+ win seasons like the days in old.

jayhawk, I'm sure there will be a better thread by the time the game approaches us. This thread snowballed quickly and put a lot of people in a defensive stance. Best of luck until the teams play. As I stated earlier, it should be a tough game regardless - and prolly for years to come. And that should be a good thing. :thumbs

I have stayed out of it, due to not being around, but I notice one thread you Huskers are stuck on. How good KU was 7 years ago means nohing. Who won in 1977 means nothing. Who has a better program now means a lot. I am not saying your awesome history, and it is awesome, is completely irrelevant, but some of the things you are throwing out are not gonna make much difference in who wins the NEXT 10 games between our teams, which is what we are excited about. I think your great fan support and tradition will be a nice edge and will help you. If you asked me, right now, to say how many Cornhusker games we will win over the next 10, I would say 4 or 5. We have been the better team, on average, in the last 4. We have a coach who has taken us from crap to good (no talk of Dynasty, but we are pretty good). We had a much better team last year, our recruiting has caught up with your, we have some awesome FOOTBALL ONLY facilities and we have some momentum. What you have is known and I respect it a lot, but I think your dominance over the Jayhawks is most likely a thing of the past. I give about 2-1 that the final vestigate falls this autumn. Best of luck to you, I hope things turn in a better direction, but you guys need to look at how other programs were built. Old Howie Schnellenberger (sp?) made Miami in a power in the early 80s out of Nothing. FLorida State was no good until Bowden. Florida had not even won the SEC until 1991, much less a national title. I am NOT saying we are destined to be one of these, which are in recruit central, but they show how who was winning in the 70's and 60's does not mean who is going to be good later.

We may come up and quickly wane, but we have a good coach and have invested a lot while things have gone better. Our teams won week after week after hearing how we were a fluke and how each week we would be exposed. I not going to rehash my arguments, too many of you have heard them, but who won in 1985 has NO effect on who is gonna win this fall. The players have gotten past that with the last 4 games (we almost win at your house while winning big in ours). So good luck, we know you are gonna come to play, but so will we. Count on that.

I hate to point it out, but until Devaney, you guys were not realy that great either, not in a sustained way. You could win some conference titles, but You all had a 62.7% win percentage in the 74 years before Devaney, and while that is good, great came after 1961. You guys built up a great thing and it will probably carry you through BC and hopefully a while longer until it is back producing 9+ win seasons like the days in old.

This was in NO WAY supposed to be a Jayhawk bashing thread. It was just supposed to be a season prediction. Good Post. :cheers