Now that it's August...

I'm sorry JGS30. You guys had a good run. Creaming those cupcakes must have felt really good for a program so utterly useless to the history of college football, but I feel I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't inform you that even the hope-springs-eternal Huskers can't quite compare with this level of sheer irrationality. Kansas won't win the NC. They won't win the Big XII. They won't even with the North. And so will the conference return to the natural order: Kansas as a second-tier Big XII football program who had that one crazy season in Nebraska's temporary absence.

At the risk of pi$$ing off more folks-

- my equally useless prediction of the KU season-

Florida International (W)

Louisiana Tech (W)

@ South Florida (W)

Sam Houston State (W)

@ Iowa State (W)

Colorado (W)

@ Oklahoma (L)

Texas Tech (L)

Kansas State (W)

@ Nebraska (W)

Texas (L)

@MISSOURI (L)

8-4

likely second in the North.

It's too early to predict this stuff, but it's fun!

GO BO!!

There is obviously nobody on this board who is going to agree with me 100%. I like the good mix of feedback keep it comin'.

KU is bigger, stronger, faster, more disciplined and more experienced than Nebraska. They won't, and haven't been intimidated by the lincoln crowd the last several trips. You won't beat Reesing and my Hawks. We hung 76 on you last year and our team is even better. Who is gonna tackle us? Bo?

Oh, and is Bo planning to strap on shoulder pads and a helmet? I don't care who you are, or what you've done in the past, if you don't have YOUR players in YOUR system them it's going to be difficult to have success. Just look at records past of first year coaches. It's not pretty, especially in the big 12. Be happy if your squad goes 7-5. But no wins vs the top tier of the big 12, at least not this year for the huskers.

Bigger, Stronger, faster? BETTER THAN LAST YEAR???????? You want some research? Kansas lost its starting running back, their best offensive lineman, their best defender and pulled in a stellar #58 recruiting class. Not to mention they have Oklahoma, Texas, TTech and So. Florida. Since I'm in a prediction kind of mood, Kansas won't win a game after Oct. 11 and will finish the year 5-7.

KU will be better than last year. There is no question about that. We lost 2 guys-Talib and Collins-keep in mind that Collins played hurt the last 5 games of the year. Talib is the only guy we lost from a very strong secondary. You can point to McClinton as another loss-but he wasn't even a factor during our last 6 games because of an undisclosed injury-he only played part time. Then we alos lost McAnderson our "system running back" Sharp is a better back, and we added the #1 Juco RB in Jacques Crawford. We return 9 starters on defense, with 4 more back whole saw significant time. We return 7 on offense and the guys we lost were role players-besides of course Collins, but Mangino likes his replacement Jeff Spikes and from what I've seen in the off season was nothing short of dominance from him. He'll be fine.

Need I go on? Oh, and you may want to forget about Rivals and Scouts and their little star ratings. That really has paid off well for Nebraska huh!?! :clap

You're even more deluded than we were at this time last year.

LOL. NO. You guys won the award for the most delusional fanbase and you're leading the pack yet again. We WON our BCS game therefore WE can talk. What bowl were you guys in again? I must of missed it. It's funny how the majority of people on this board are predicting a win against KU and then when I put them in their place I'm suddenly dilusional!? Amazing. 76-39. Please! You seriously think the crowd will win the game for you!?! How? Kind of like how A&M's crowd beat us last year, oh that's right, we won that game. And how we were gonna lose at Boulder, oh that's right, WE BEAT CU last YEAR! Try beating them before predicting a win against us. LOL. Just being honest!

Your argument for road wins is a win against a team that finished one game above .500 and a team that finished one game below? 2-8 against ranked opponents over the last 5 years, and even with the miracle 2007 season, over the last five years the jayhawks are 7-16 on the road with wins at ISU, Mizzou (in 04), Wyoming, and the four wins last year. These teams finished their seasons a combined 39-48. Some more research for you.

I appreciate the research and respect that you went all the way back through 5 years, but what does the 04 team have to do with this year? I would look at last year's team and what they did, considering the majority is back. Winning @ Colorado and Texas A&M aren't easy things to do. You of all people should know that considering Nebraska's history playing @Boulder. But regardless, this is a "What have you done for me lately game" I don't care what KU did in 04. All those players were true freshmen or redshirted at the time-Our seniors anyway. Big deal. I guess what I'm trying to say is this isn't the "old KU" teams are used to playing. We don't just bend over and take it like ISU and Baylor. We'll fight you till the end win or lose. Something that Nebraska couldn't say last year. I certainly hope that somewhere among all the Husker Optimism there are some fans worried about NU's players quitting, because we ALL SAW IT LAST YEAR, and these are the same kids. Until Bo gets HIS recruits, I for one will not be afraid to walk into Lincoln. neither will KU.

But I will say Bo has a propven track record and will be a great head coach. he should of got this job 3 years ago. I guess better late than never for Husker Nation.

Now that you are being resonable i want to leave you with this. Comparing the '04 Kansas team to the '08 Kansas team is more just than comparing the 07 and 08 huskers. Kansas has the same coach they had in '04. I'm pretty sure Kansas fans thought glenn mason was going to resurrect the program in the mid-90's too, which circles back to my original post. Kansas is going to be kansas again this year

LOL. NO. You guys won the award for the most delusional fanbase and you're leading the pack yet again. We WON our BCS game therefore WE can talk. What bowl were you guys in again? I must of missed it. It's funny how the majority of people on this board are predicting a win against KU and then when I put them in their place I'm suddenly dilusional!? Amazing. 76-39. Please! You seriously think the crowd will win the game for you!?! How? Kind of like how A&M's crowd beat us last year, oh that's right, we won that game. And how we were gonna lose at Boulder, oh that's right, WE BEAT CU last YEAR! Try beating them before predicting a win against us. LOL. Just being honest!

I gotta tell you, this cocky Kansas just doesn't match the blue uniforms. Since you obviously don't much care for rational picks, let's play a little game.

With virtually guaranteed losses to the following:

Missouri

Texas

Oklahoma

Texas Tech

Tossups:

Nebraska

South Florida

Kansas State

Colorado

Which BCS bowl will Kansas attend?

If you answered None, correct!

I'm sorry JGS30. You guys had a good run. Creaming those cupcakes must have felt really good for a program so utterly useless to the history of college football, but I feel I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't inform you that even the hope-springs-eternal Huskers can't quite compare with this level of sheer irrationality. Kansas won't win the NC. They won't win the Big XII. They won't even with the North. And so will the conference return to the natural order: Kansas as a second-tier Big XII football program who had that one crazy season in Nebraska's temporary absence.

I have to admit that was pretty funny. I got a good laugh out of that. I'll say this-As long as Texas is starting Colt McCoy and Texas Tech continues to run their joke of a defense onto the field, I'll say with confidence that we beat both of those teams at home. Now, with that said, OU and MU will be difficult. I do not see us winning in Norman, and Missouri will once again be a gorrilla. I've said since the beginning that KU will finish 10-2, with these two games possibly being losses. KSU and CU-LOL. Not even slightly worried. South Florida will be tough, but we went undefeated in the state of Florida last year :) And of course the Huskers. My oh my will I enjoy wiping the slate clean and ending that pathetic little streak once and for all.

"I guess in Husker land a temporary absence from the top 25 means a decade"- Mark May (August 7, 2008)

JGS30, KU has beaten NU how many times recently? I don't care about the score last season. No one on this board does accept you, its the only thing you have on us right now and you are beating it to death. We do have good reason to be optimistic and if you have nothing better to do than talk up your Jayhawks because they had one good season and won a BCS game then do it on the KU board. It's about time KU did something in the last 100 or so years of having a football team. Cool, you had a good year, congrats. Now lets see if you can keep from getting thrown back out the door and being walked on by the rest of us real football programs who have actually accomplished something for a longer period of time than just one year.

There is obviously nobody on this board who is going to agree with me 100%. I like the good mix of feedback keep it comin'.

KU is bigger, stronger, faster, more disciplined and more experienced than Nebraska. They won't, and haven't been intimidated by the lincoln crowd the last several trips. You won't beat Reesing and my Hawks. We hung 76 on you last year and our team is even better. Who is gonna tackle us? Bo?

Oh, and is Bo planning to strap on shoulder pads and a helmet? I don't care who you are, or what you've done in the past, if you don't have YOUR players in YOUR system them it's going to be difficult to have success. Just look at records past of first year coaches. It's not pretty, especially in the big 12. Be happy if your squad goes 7-5. But no wins vs the top tier of the big 12, at least not this year for the huskers.

Bigger, Stronger, faster? BETTER THAN LAST YEAR???????? You want some research? Kansas lost its starting running back, their best offensive lineman, their best defender and pulled in a stellar #58 recruiting class. Not to mention they have Oklahoma, Texas, TTech and So. Florida. Since I'm in a prediction kind of mood, Kansas won't win a game after Oct. 11 and will finish the year 5-7.

KU will be better than last year. There is no question about that. We lost 2 guys-Talib and Collins-keep in mind that Collins played hurt the last 5 games of the year. Talib is the only guy we lost from a very strong secondary. You can point to McClinton as another loss-but he wasn't even a factor during our last 6 games because of an undisclosed injury-he only played part time. Then we alos lost McAnderson our "system running back" Sharp is a better back, and we added the #1 Juco RB in Jacques Crawford. We return 9 starters on defense, with 4 more back whole saw significant time. We return 7 on offense and the guys we lost were role players-besides of course Collins, but Mangino likes his replacement Jeff Spikes and from what I've seen in the off season was nothing short of dominance from him. He'll be fine.

Need I go on? Oh, and you may want to forget about Rivals and Scouts and their little star ratings. That really has paid off well for Nebraska huh!?! :clap

You're even more deluded than we were at this time last year.

Your argument for road wins is a win against a team that finished one game above .500 and a team that finished one game below? 2-8 against ranked opponents over the last 5 years, and even with the miracle 2007 season, over the last five years the jayhawks are 7-16 on the road with wins at ISU, Mizzou (in 04), Wyoming, and the four wins last year. These teams finished their seasons a combined 39-48. Some more research for you.

I appreciate the research and respect that you went all the way back through 5 years, but what does the 04 team have to do with this year? I would look at last year's team and what they did, considering the majority is back. Winning @ Colorado and Texas A&M aren't easy things to do. You of all people should know that considering Nebraska's history playing @Boulder. But regardless, this is a "What have you done for me lately game" I don't care what KU did in 04. All those players were true freshmen or redshirted at the time-Our seniors anyway. Big deal. I guess what I'm trying to say is this isn't the "old KU" teams are used to playing. We don't just bend over and take it like ISU and Baylor. We'll fight you till the end win or lose. Something that Nebraska couldn't say last year. I certainly hope that somewhere among all the Husker Optimism there are some fans worried about NU's players quitting, because we ALL SAW IT LAST YEAR, and these are the same kids. Until Bo gets HIS recruits, I for one will not be afraid to walk into Lincoln. neither will KU.

But I will say Bo has a propven track record and will be a great head coach. he should of got this job 3 years ago. I guess better late than never for Husker Nation.

Now that you are being resonable i want to leave you with this. Comparing the '04 Kansas team to the '08 Kansas team is more just than comparing the 07 and 08 huskers. Kansas has the same coach they had in '04. I'm pretty sure Kansas fans thought glenn mason was going to resurrect the program in the mid-90's too, which circles back to my original post. Kansas is going to be kansas again this year

Actually Glenn Mason had a really good run at KU, till he punked out and left us for Minnesota. The came Terry Allen (To this day the most hated man in Lawrence) who completely ran our program into the ground and cost us a decade of football and tons of respect. Oh how I hate him so!

"I guess in Husker land a temporary absence from the top 25 means a decade"- Mark May (August 7, 2008)

You're supporting your view with a quote from Mark May? WOW!!! You just officially lost this argument.

P.S. Mark probably doesn't know we were in the top 25 last year before USC and in the top 10 5 years ago.

JGS30, KU has beaten NU how many times recently? I don't care about the score last season. No one on this board does accept you, its the only thing you have on us right now and you are beating it to death. We do have good reason to be optimistic and if you have nothing better to do than talk up your Jayhawks because they had one good season and won a BCS game then do it on the KU board. It's about time KU did something in the last 100 or so years of having a football team. Cool, you had a good year, congrats. Now lets see if you can keep from getting thrown back out the door and being walked on by the rest of us real football programs who have actually accomplished something for a longer period of time than just one year.

No. You're absolutely correct bbhusker. We haven't accomplished much. I won't get on here and claim that we have. Again, the only reason I got on here stompin and raving was because I'm sick of everyone predicting a win over KU with nothing to go off of accept that the crowd will win the game. That's everyones entire argument on how NU will beat KU this year. Crowd's don't win games, it's the players. Emotion is great for the first 5 minutes, maybe even a quarter-Nebraska proved that last year in Lawrence. But sooner or later the better team takes over the game, and I strongly doubt your defense will be able to contain the KU offense for 4 quarters.

You're supporting your view with a quote from Mark May? WOW!!! You just officially lost this argument.

P.S. Mark probably doesn't know we were in the top 25 last year before USC and in the top 10 5 years ago.

LOL. Why does Mark May hate Nebraska so much? I'm being serious here. I've never heard him say a nice thing about the huskers.

LOL. Why does Mark May hate Nebraska so much? I'm being serious here. I've never heard him say a nice thing about the huskers.

finished ranked in the top 25 7 of the last 10 years, 2002, 2004 and 2007. He's so F&$%ing ignorant.

No. You're absolutely correct bbhusker. We haven't accomplished much. I won't get on here and claim that we have. Again, the only reason I got on here stompin and raving was because I'm sick of everyone predicting a win over KU with nothing to go off of accept that the crowd will win the game. That's everyones entire argument on how NU will beat KU this year. Crowd's don't win games, it's the players. Emotion is great for the first 5 minutes, maybe even a quarter-Nebraska proved that last year in Lawrence. But sooner or later the better team takes over the game, and I strongly doubt your defense will be able to contain the KU offense for 4 quarters.

The part I think you are forgetting hear is coaching. Nebraska has every bit as talented of players as KU. It's no secret that last year before NU even played Kansas that the team had lost its trust in the coaches and system on defense. Pelini is a players coach, these guys are believeing and also have a chip on their shoulder with something to prove. Your team happens to know this senerio very well. Pelini's track record speaks for itself. Pelini will be calling the defense and we have retained our offensive coodinator. Mind you that last year we put up 36 points on your vaunted defense with a QB that was making his 1st career start. I happen to believe that the game will be very close but it is not out of the question for NU to win.

The part I think you are forgetting hear is coaching. Nebraska has every bit as talented of players as KU. It's no secret that last year before NU even played Kansas that the team had lost its trust in the coaches and system on defense. Pelini is a players coach, these guys are believeing and also have a chip on their shoulder with something to prove. Your team happens to know this senerio very well. Pelini's track record speaks for itself. Pelini will be calling the defense and we have retained our offensive coodinator. Mind you that last year we put up 36 points on your vaunted defense with a QB that was making his 1st career start. I happen to believe that the game will be very close but it is not out of the question for NU to win.

You're forgetting this is Kansas land. Jayhawk fan's aren't deterred by these little facts. Yeah, their gritty home-grown defense got smoked for 484 yards and their disciplined secondary gets to answer for 405 of them. Ganz made a few bad decisions, the crowd played a factor, and we didn't field a defense. Had we played anywhere but the Twilight Zone this would have been an entirely different game.

This is what Kansas fans need to understand. I'm not predicting a sure-fire win. What I'm predicting is a game Kansas sure as hell better not overlook, especially if they're doing well at that point in the season. Nebraska's offensive production will probably stay reasonably stable. We're going to run the ball. You're not going to see as much of Reesing. Mangino is going to have to scheme against Bo freakin' Pelini. No offense, but cupcake-munching Kansas isn't the worst monster Pelini's ever had to watch on film. Just ask Ohio State.

It'll be a fun game once it gets here. Nobody can make accurate picks at this point, but going off the info, 10-3 is almost laughable. Believe it or not Kansas is still a team with something to prove. You guys aren't sitting on the hills of the promise land drinking tea. You overachieved against weak opponents. Congratulations. Now let's see what Mangino can do against some real tests.

I see that the South Florida game is at 7 PM on 9/12 (Friday). I'm guessing this will be on TV, and I hope it is so I can see how The Greater, Bigger, Faster, Stronger, Smarter Kansas Jayhawks fare in their first real challenge of the season. It should be interesting. Even more interesting is how Kansas - as a team - will respond if they lose this game. They are on top of the world right now, but it's real easy to plummet to the molten core and get burned...

The same can be said of Nebraska and their first "real" challenge against Virginia Tech, who Kansas eeked out a victory against (I use the term "real" loosely, because Western Michigan should definitely not be taken lightly, and the first few games may be a little iffy as the defense tries to get their ducks aligned). Will the Huskers be able to recover if they lose this game? I think that NU has better leadership this year, and a loss early on will not affect them later on down the road.

While the players are the ones actually in the game, there is a TON to be said on how important leadership is on any team (in sports, in business, etc.). Any team tends to act in a way that is consistent with those people at the top. Whatever those at the top consider a top priority, those underneath will follow suite. This is especially true if those people underneath believe in what those at the top are saying.

While the wins may not come this season, I still feel the Huskers will at least have a 7-5 record. Kansas? They are still unproven. They had one really good season. That's great, but doesn't earn much respect from me...especially after looking at their 2007 schedule. Any team in any given year can have the stars align just right so they have a good season (see Hawaii), but you have to be able to sustain that success in order for it to mean anything. If Kansas is able to duplicate their success this year, they will have my respect. Until then, they are still just Kansas...

You're forgetting this is Kansas land. Jayhawk fan's aren't deterred by these little facts. Yeah, their gritty home-grown defense got smoked for 484 yards and their disciplined secondary gets to answer for 405 of them. Ganz made a few bad decisions, the crowd played a factor, and we didn't field a defense. Had we played anywhere but the Twilight Zone this would have been an entirely different game.

This is what Kansas fans need to understand. I'm not predicting a sure-fire win. What I'm predicting is a game Kansas sure as hell better not overlook, especially if they're doing well at that point in the season. Nebraska's offensive production will probably stay reasonably stable. We're going to run the ball. You're not going to see as much of Reesing. Mangino is going to have to scheme against Bo freakin' Pelini. No offense, but cupcake-munching Kansas isn't the worst monster Pelini's ever had to watch on film. Just ask Ohio State.

It'll be a fun game once it gets here. Nobody can make accurate picks at this point, but going off the info, 10-3 is almost laughable. Believe it or not Kansas is still a team with something to prove. You guys aren't sitting on the hills of the promise land drinking tea. You overachieved against weak opponents. Congratulations. Now let's see what Mangino can do against some real tests.

No question we have alot to prove and play for. By no stretch are we on the hilltop, sipping tea. The chip on our shoulders is now bigger than Mangino and I'm not even sure if he can devour it! The chip has been growing ever since we finished 12-1, yet placed only 7th in the BCS. KU should of been top 5. Explain how MU finishes 4th, despite losing to the 9th place Sooners-twice!! Ugggh. OK, I'm getting off track.

Maybe Cy is right. Focus on beating ISu first. Then settle the dispute in Lincoln. I just hope Reesing is still in one piece after leaving Ames. ISU is a 12-0 team ready to explode like Mount St. Helens!!