How to convert a non-Husker fan to be a Husker fan

haha, good stuff guys.

I've been up front with her about most the stuff and really she's started to accept most of it (like my being gone every weekend). I just figured since she doesn't really have any strong allegiance to any one team that once she goes through this season with me she'll understand a little bit more. It's just that annoying "I grew up in Missouri so I'm an MU fan" thing...even though she couldn't name the coach and probably won't watch any other MU games ;)

Obviously I'm not the type to part ways with a girl over something like this...everything else is great. I just think I'd shed a tear the day she puts on a Nebraska shirt and starts screaming at the TV with me.

Taking her to a home game should help.

I had an uncle that grew up in Nebraska and then moved to Kansas City after college for work. He continued to be a Husker fan of course. My cousins were kinda 50/50 on Mizzu or Nebraska, but when one of them moved to Nebraska, he got turned off real quick on NU due to all the digs for him being from Missouri, and the constant Go Big Red hoopla. It really can be a bit much at times if you are not a fan. So maybe baby steps at first, then the home game??

post-4426-1218558440.jpg

Taking her to a home game should help.

I had an uncle that grew up in Nebraska and then moved to Kansas City after college for work. He continued to be a Husker fan of course. My cousins were kinda 50/50 on Mizzu or Nebraska, but when one of them moved to Nebraska, he got turned off real quick on NU due to all the digs for him being from Missouri, and the constant Go Big Red hoopla. It really can be a bit much at times if you are not a fan. So maybe baby steps at first, then the home game??

post-4426-1218558440.jpg

I think envolving her (taking her to the game) is your best bet. Like i said with my girlfriend/now wife it took some time. I am like alot of other fans and guys on here that will not budge from infront of the tv on game day. The only way im going anywhere is if were going to the game.

The gameday atmosphere and fun of being surrounded by other fans helped to sell her on going, Then going helped to make her a fan.

When i mentioned the comprimising above. My big one is our church is 30 mins from home and service starts at 10. It normally last 1 1/2 hours. That means most times I would miss noon kickoff on sundays. I explained to my wife that was not going to happen. My comprimise is I CAN"T miss service in the offseason. Also if you get 'into' something that she likes, chances are she will be more forgiving when your "Red Fever" kicks in.

I think envolving her (taking her to the game) is your best bet. Like i said with my girlfriend/now wife it took some time. I am like alot of other fans and guys on here that will not budge from infront of the tv on game day. The only way im going anywhere is if were going to the game.

The gameday atmosphere and fun of being surrounded by other fans helped to sell her on going, Then going helped to make her a fan.

When i mentioned the comprimising above. My big one is our church is 30 mins from home and service starts at 10. It normally last 1 1/2 hours. That means most times I would miss noon kickoff on sundays. I explained to my wife that was not going to happen. My comprimise is I CAN"T miss service in the offseason. Also if you get 'into' something that she likes, chances are she will be more forgiving when your "Red Fever" kicks in.

Very good point, kind of buttering her up. If you take interest in one of her interests, maybe she'll return the favor?

hahah, I'm in KC. Which is funny because the game is in KC this year. I don't think her boss (male) follows much football. I guess it was a conflict two years ago when Nebraska went there and another employee who is a Husker fan skipped out on the party for it....which I guess didn't go over well. I told her the game time hasn't been decided yet, but if it's a night game and we DO make it I'll of course be watching it.

Male and doesn't follow football???

Didin't go over well??

WTH... is he your boss? My wife would tell him she didn't have a choice but to do the game thing. And I would welcome the blame. (I have broad shoulders:) She knows about the games and loves them herself at this point. I don't care what is going on or what we are invited to. She allways says (durring the season) what is the date and is it on a Saturday? Gotta love her! If the boss had anything to say to me, my reply would be:

Have you ever considered that it is possible that your head is not in the right spot? I'd suggest moving it before you end up with Methane poisoning. That would keep him thinking.

:clap:clap:clap:clap

Guys, I think i love Husker Football just as much as everyone else here, but if i'm really into a girl and the only thing wrong is that she doesn't love the Huskers, i'm sure i'd find a way to live with it other than get rid of her....

you can always have both :) I'm going to agree with HuskerfaninOkieland here. If conversion isn't possible, just go your seperate ways saturday.

Guys, I think i love Husker Football just as much as everyone else here, but if i'm really into a girl and the only thing wrong is that she doesn't love the Huskers, i'm sure i'd find a way to live with it other than get rid of her....

you can always have both :) I'm going to agree with HuskerfaninOkieland here. If conversion isn't possible, just go your seperate ways saturday.

Sorry, if she doesn't love the huskers, she doesn't love me. Anyone who is in my presence and can't throw the bones I relegate as being a husker hater and pretty much tell them to get out of my life. Period. It is interesting how I haven't spoken to my inlaws in over 7 years, them having all attended KU.

Just keep working on her. Invite her to watch the game with you. My wife is on the laptop and watches it. She buys me husker gear, so that is a step. She wants to go to the game this year when we fly in from AZ. So at 5 years she wants to go....so that part is nice.

Just let it settle in..might take a bit but she will come around, or in the case of most marriages at least act like she likes it.

It'll be a day for the ages Ben, I remember the first time my wife made reference to the huskers without me starting the convo...."They need to fire that a-hole" :lol: you'll love it

I remember last season was when my wife really broke out as a Husker fan. She yelled something about the play calling that was going on and she said that we should've ran this play. I immediately grabbed her and gave her a huge kiss because it was probably the best thing I've ever heard! Plus she would say numerous times, "Callahan is ruining the tradition of this program and he's a damn moron!" I love that women............. :clap

well, after tonight we've moved a small step forward. She seems interested in coming up to the games for tailgating at least. I just assumed she was going to hang behind here in KC, but some friends of ours invited her up to at least tailgate with them during the game! They even reiterated how insane it's going to be up there on opening day.

So maybe my plan is falling into place....bwahahahaha ;)

The simplest route is, don't worry about trying to convert her, but explain to her that this is something that is very important to you. Trying to "push" things upon her could end up doing more harm than good.

My girl and I have almost been together a year, and she doesn't follow sports what so ever. That being said she understands that this is what i've been waiting for, and she asked if we should get ESPN game plan.

I consider myself hella lucky, because I do have the best girl on the planet. She wanted to know what times the games started this year, so she could take her daughters out for some "mother-daughter" time.

The simplest route is, don't worry about trying to convert her, but explain to her that this is something that is very important to you. Trying to "push" things upon her could end up doing more harm than good.

My girl and I have almost been together a year, and she doesn't follow sports what so ever. That being said she understands that this is what i've been waiting for, and she asked if we should get ESPN game plan.

I consider myself hella lucky, because I do have the best girl on the planet. She wanted to know what times the games started this year, so she could take her daughters out for some "mother-daughter" time.

she wears a mu jersey...kick her to the curb.

she wears a mu jersey...kick her to the curb.

instead of a break up, you could get a house divided flag. It would be soooooo cute.... <_<