Culbert happy at safety

Journal Star

Some interesting tidbits of info from Culbert

Culbert happy at safety

BY BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2008 - 12:34:38 am CDT

Versatility can be a curse. And if you doubt that, don’t look past Major Culbert.

Here’s a guy who looks like a pretty good safety, but then again, maybe he’d rock at linebacker, too. And you know, he doesn’t look half bad with a football in his hands at running back.

The past two years, Culbert has switched positions, then switched again, his versatility never allowing him to settle and making people ponder how he’d actually do if he found a home.

Well, look at the smile he’s got now. The junior is settled and quite pleased about it, thanks.

“Thank God I’m at safety, because this is my right position. I feel like this is my home,” Culbert said Monday.

“I’m just happy to be at one position where I can learn and get better. I’m getting too old. I’m not a freshman anymore. I’m a junior and maturing. I thank the coaches for giving me a shot at safety and letting me show my abilities. Everything from there is up to me.”

He’s got a new jersey number — No. 6 has been replaced by a No. 2 — and a new outlook.

The change in the coaching staff has allowed Culbert a fresh slate and, so far, he seems to be taking advantage of it.

Secondary coach Marvin Sanders said Culbert has been the most improved of any of the defensive backs.

Sanders noticed right away that Culbert had been putting in the extra time in the offseason, watching film and studying the playbook.

“Right now, I feel confident that Major can help us win football games,” Sanders said. “I won’t hesitate to put him in the game.”

He can play either strong or free safety, and while fellow juniors Larry Asante and Rickey Thenarse entered fall camp No. 1 on the depth chart at those positions, the 6-foot, 205-pound Culbert said he’s pushing those guys, getting equal reps and a fair opportunity to show what he can do.

“I was really excited knowing that we got coaches that really care about the players. (I’m) not saying that last year they didn’t, but this year I think the coaches are really focusing on the best 11 players,” Culbert said. “That gives a lot of people great opportunities, not just including myself. That’s all across the board — people who should have played last year who didn’t get the opportunity to.”

Culbert has been a fascination for some Nebraska fans ever since midway through his freshman season, when the Huskers utilized him at linebacker as part of a 3-4 defensive package against Missouri. Culbert recorded six tackles that day, four of them solo stops in a 34-20 win.

But that was the most fans would see of Culbert. He was mostly used on special teams and then before the Cotton Bowl, he was asked to switch to I-back because of injuries.

“And they moved me and I did well, I learned the playbook,” Culbert said.

And then, after rushing five times for 35 yards and a nifty touchdown run against Nevada in last year’s opener, Culbert was pushed aside on the depth chart by Roy Helu and Quentin Castille.

Culbert was moved back to defense for the second half of the season, playing as a reserve linebacker and making eight tackles, his talent still a mystery to those outside the program.

Looking back on that whole running back thing, Culbert grins, shakes his head, admits it left him bewildered.

“I have no idea,” he said of the move. “I wanted to say something so bad. I don’t want to say it was a waste of a year, but it was a waste of something, because I moved back to defense the fifth game of the season and it’s almost too late — to learn a new scheme, to learn a defense.

“I don’t want to dwell on last year. I’m just glad it’s over. I’m glad it’s ’08, (that) ’07 is out the door. New year, new position, and thank God the position I’m playing right now is the best position.”

Culbert has found that with new head coach Bo Pelini, the effort a player gives is the first thing being examined.

This past week, Sanders asked his defensive backs during a meeting if they thought they were playing with top effort during a specific practice period. Yes, players thought. They sure were.

“Then I showed them film,” Sanders said. “It was amazing, the look on their faces. You have to keep pushing until they understand the level we want them at.”

If you can show maximum effort on this team, Culbert said, coaches can find a use for you.

“Once (Pelini’s) seeing that we’re giving effort, then everything else is coachable,” Culbert said. “You can’t coach effort. All the X’s and O’s, he’ll figure everything else out.”

Culbert’s obvious goal is to start, but the native of Harbor City, Calif., knows that even if he doesn’t, his services will be needed this fall, especially in a conference like the Big 12, where wide-open offenses prevail.

Armando Murillo returns at one corner spot and Asante at safety. But Nebraska will need to play with five defensive backs at times, which means inexperienced players such as Culbert, Prince Amukamara, Anthony West and Eric Hagg will need to step up.

It is the kind of opportunity Culbert has been waiting for since he arrived on campus.

“I think all our DBs are interchangeable, and that’s what we need,” Culbert said. “We need guys who are competing and I think that’s what we have. We have great depth in the secondary and that’s what makes teams great, is depth.”

Reach Brian Christopherson at bchristopherson@journalstar.com or 473-7439.

I think Cosgrove may have had something with Culbert playing in a 3-4 scheme. To bad it was a one off experiment of sorts. You could play him 3-4 and still have what amounts to a 3-3-5, depending on assignments. Culbert or Washington could serve this role, more of a rover than LB in pass situations. DT depth might not allow alot of this though. I'm just guessing here, and I'm no coach but man do we have some options ! Can't wait to see what this staff can do with the raw talent on this squad. :horns2

Journal Star

“I have no idea,” he said of the move. “I wanted to say something so bad. I don’t want to say it was a waste of a year, but it was a waste of something, because I moved back to defense the fifth game of the season and it’s almost too late — to learn a new scheme, to learn a defense.

That just goes to show the ineptness of the coaching staff last year. They really didn't have an f'n clue.

These kids want to give their all, but with last years coaching staff, they weren't able to.

I'm looking forward to the defense playing like a pack of wild dogs...