Chew on this for a while

mlive.com

A week into fall camp, let's take a break from position battles and preparation and have a little fun by looking ahead.

If someone asked you the most dangerous game on Western Michigan University's upcoming football schedule, what would you say?

Consider Buffalo -- more so than Central Michigan or Ball State or Nebraska or Illinois.

Yes, this is the same Buffalo program that came into Waldo Stadium in 2005 with a freshman quarterback and Division II speed and performed like a Division III team.

Three years later, however, that rookie QB, Drew Willy, is all grown up (15 TDs, 6 INTs as a junior) and the Bulls are coming off a 5-7 season (same as WMU) with a few results that were at least on par with what the Broncos did (42-7 over Temple; 26-10 over Akron; 43-33 over Toledo).

I don't believe for second that Buffalo is as talented as the Broncos, but what makes this game so dangerous is its location, the lack of any sort of rivalry between the programs and its timing.

WMU has to go into Buffalo on Oct. 11, a week before going to Central Michigan. There is no hatred of the Bulls to keep WMU's focus and it's a league road game at a place that doesn't have great atmosphere (remember Eastern Michigan in 2007). Keep in mind, nondivisional games count toward the conference standings this

AND!!!!

Nebraska? It's the opener (a natural adrenaline rush) and the Huskers don't have a prolific offense or great speed at many of the skill positions (at least, so I'm told). Like against Florida State in 2006 and Iowa last season, WMU has a chance here. The Broncos usually compete well against teams that don't have high-powered offenses, as long as they can survive a brutal atmosphere.

great example of some peckerhead reporter trying to stir things up... gotta like the Victor ERojo comment at the bottom ... i played WMU on NCAA 09 last night and won 36-29 on a last minute punt return by Lucky... he's got some nice attributes on the game.. gonna play San Josie tonight

Actually, I kind of like seeing some press about this game instead of the VaTech or Mizzou games . . . because after all, this game DOES come first. :)

Edit:

i played WMU on NCAA 09 last night and won 36-29 on a last minute punt return by Lucky

I could see it going something like this in real life . . . I have complete confidence that we will win, but we'll definitely have some rust to shake off. Typical game-one snafus and whatnot.

The Broncos usually compete well against teams that don't have high-powered offenses, as long as they can survive a brutal atmosphere.

Except last time I checked, Nebraska DOES have a high-powered offense. And we're certainly better than IOWA.

Hey, Iowa had a very balanced offense. They rushed for 126 y/g (92nd nationally) and passed for 190 y/g (94th nationally). Against Iowa State they had 115 yards rushing and 118 yards passing. But they also tailored their offense to what the defense was giving them. Fearing the Hawk's potent passing attack, Michigan St. played their vaunted duck and run defense daring the Hawks to, well, duck and run. And duck and run they did, completing 5 whole passes for 53 yards in the OT victory.

For the fighting We-Mi's to defeat a team of that caliber is an amazing accomplishment. :sarcasm

The Broncos usually compete well against teams that don't have high-powered offenses, as long as they can survive a brutal atmosphere.

Except last time I checked, Nebraska DOES have a high-powered offense. And we're certainly better than IOWA.

Hey, Iowa had a very balanced offense. They rushed for 126 y/g (92nd nationally) and passed for 190 y/g (94th nationally). Against Iowa State they had 115 yards rushing and 118 yards passing. But they also tailored their offense to what the defense was giving them. Fearing the Hawk's potent passing attack, Michigan St. played their vaunted duck and run defense daring the Hawks to, well, duck and run. And duck and run they did, completing 5 whole passes for 53 yards in the OT victory.

For the fighting We-Mi's to defeat a team of that caliber is an amazing accomplishment. :sarcasm

So many things about this made me laugh so very hard. :laughpound:clap

You can tell the writer never actually watched Nebraska's games or follows college football closely. I don't think anyone would content Nebraska doesn't have a capable offense, how many point did we put up last season? Nebraska was 9th in the Nation Last year with 468.3 average yards of total offense. Sorry, the article is garbage, their toughest game is going to come at the beginning of the season at memorial stadium, which is always a tough place to play despite a somewhat battered team from last year. Even if our defense improved marginally from last year and our offense was a little worse, we would still have a better season simply because we lost last year on defense, our offense was more than capable.

not to stir up anything, nor do i look a lot at the polls, in todays omaha paper, it was pointed out that Phil Steele (national ranking guru) has Western Michigan ranked 40 and Nebraska 43 in his pre-season polls.... pre-season polls are a joke, just pointing out that WM will not be the typical cupcake home opener that we sometimes have, especially for this year's team.

not to stir up anything, nor do i look a lot at the polls, in todays omaha paper, it was pointed out that Phil Steele (national ranking guru) has Western Michigan ranked 40 and Nebraska 43 in his pre-season polls.... pre-season polls are a joke, just pointing out that WM will not be the typical cupcake home opener that we sometimes have, especially for this year's team.

you'd think one of their dbs would be explaining to them how wrong they are about nebraska....i mean his uncle was only ONE of the triplets.