playing time for true freshmen

http://journalstar.com/blog/huskers.php?ti...p;tb=1&pb=1

True freshmen in line for duty

This is speculation. I repeat, this is only speculation. It's based on numerous interviews and observations during preseason camp. Nothing is official until games roll around.

The true freshmen most likely to play this season?

I think there are seven strong candidates, four of whom I feel have especially good chances to play: WR Khiry Cooper, TE Ben Cotton, LB Will Compton and CB John Levorson.

Neither Cooper nor Cotton play a position at which help is immediately needed, necessarily. But both have made very, very strong impressions on coaches.

Compton and Levorson both play positions where depth is in relatively short supply.

In that regard, true freshmen Sean Fisher (OLB), Alfonzo Dennard (CB, nickel) and P.J. Smith (safety) also may have a good chance to play in 2008, depending on injuries and other similar factors.

http://journalstar.com/blog/huskers.php?ti...p;tb=1&pb=1

True freshmen in line for duty

This is speculation. I repeat, this is only speculation. It's based on numerous interviews and observations during preseason camp. Nothing is official until games roll around.

The true freshmen most likely to play this season?

I think there are seven strong candidates, four of whom I feel have especially good chances to play: WR Khiry Cooper, TE Ben Cotton, LB Will Compton and CB John Levorson.

Neither Cooper nor Cotton play a position at which help is immediately needed, necessarily. But both have made very, very strong impressions on coaches.

Compton and Levorson both play positions where depth is in relatively short supply.

In that regard, true freshmen Sean Fisher (OLB), Alfonzo Dennard (CB, nickel) and P.J. Smith (safety) also may have a good chance to play in 2008, depending on injuries and other similar factors.

It seems to me that while this year may be shaky, the future in the next few years is bright. We've got quite a few young guys who are going to see time. Compton, especially, is one to watch. By his senior year he could be a force if he's as good as advertised.

It seems to me that while this year may be shaky, the future in the next few years is bright. We've got quite a few young guys who are going to see time. Compton, especially, is one to watch. By his senior year he could be a force if he's as good as advertised.

:yeah

I was just thinking the same thing. I have them play those postions for 4 years and our defense will be on top. Very smart thing to do but if it doesn't happen it doesn't happen but hopefully they'll get some playing time.

I could not agree more. If you've got em, play em. Especially coming off a 5-7 season. Prep them & ease them out there. The PT will benefit them. Confidence, experience, etc.

I've read good things about Levorson (6'3 195) DB on his athleticism & ability to learn quickly. In a year or two he'll be around 210-215.

Our long term outlook is good concidering where we ended up last year. I think that this staff will not burn red shirts just to play one or two plays on special teams. The ones that deserve to play will get some actual playing time and the marginal ones will be red shirted to allow development. At least I hope so.

Bo has said they won't burn shirts unless significant reps are going to be had. Hard to say how many will burn.

Compton obviously seems like the most likely to play considerably.

Haven't heard a lot about Baker but I'd assume he is playing in anticipation of pushing for a starting-spot in '09.

Levorson is pushing for the 5th cb-spot. Still surprised not seeing him at safety.

Sean Fisher is a possibility given our lack of LB-depth.

We hear so much about Cooper it is hard to believe he shirts though he does need to put some size on.

Like Cooper Cotton could definitely use some mass but has impressed considerably. With injury to Hetzer putting his development behind I can see Cotton getting some real reps.

Compton based on the lack of depth at LB.

I heard that Cooper is good, but he is too small to play now. He would break in half if he were to get hit.

Gotta agree with you here. Compton seems like the perfect fit for the special teams as well. He can run, is hungary, and it tough.....he has wedgebuster written all over him