What if?

God forbid we lose, suicide will run rampant in the streets.

This team has the ability to beat us. Not likely but it is there. We all need to quit drinking so much kool aid and look at things how they are not how they appear to be through the rose colored glasses.

If any other team had what we have as far as proven talent, depth and experience and coaching we would be saying not a chance.

Some here are knocking on Michigan, pretty much the same story as we have.

We need to get through this season, and then we will have an idea of what we have. And what we need.

Actually, we aren't really like Michigan at all besides us having a new coach. Our offense is pretty much staying the same whereas they are switching to a completely different offensive scheme, regardless of what type of players they have (a la Bill Callahan in 04).

Nobody is drinking kool-aid, it's called confidence in our team. If we all had the "realistic" attitudes like you then everyone on here would be depressed and unenthusiastic. I think I like the balance that everyone's optimism is at.

Nothing wrong with being excited and confident about the upcoming game. Sure, there are concerns. Last year's horrible defense isn't going to be magically fixed overnight. This is demonstrated by the fact that nobody has earned a blackshirt yet. That is reason enough to be a little skittish about the defense.

However, whatever the defense does, I do know they will display an effort to the magnitude not seen last year.

Here is one for everyone and maybe this has already been covered but I haven't been around lately so I want to know.

What if Pelini and staff fall on their faces and we never recover from what started in Boulder in 01? What if we come out this year and drop a big turd and finish 5-7 or worse? What if Ganz doesn't light it up like he did last year? Will people be calling for Witt? What if 4 years from now we are still sitting in the middle of the pack in the North? Will the people be calling for Pelini's head?

Do I think any of this will happen? Not a chance but at the end of the day not one single person knows what to expect from this team or this staff and I for one hate that feeling. The Big Red homer in me says 14-0 but you never can tell and I just hope that this whole Happy Days Are Here Again feeling that is flying around Husker Nation doesn't come back to bite us in the arse. I like to think we will be like OU and USC and recover nicely from the down years, however there is a chance we spin around in circles like Alabama, FSU as of late, The Domers and Miami.

Hurry up and play the freaking game already so I have something to go off of.

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!

Also, I absolutely refuse to state that this started in Boulder in '01. That is total BS, and only a dream of a Buffaloes fan. FS had fired who needed fired, brought in the young blood that was required and we were 10 - 3 in 2003: heading back in the correct direction. Granted, it wasn't the mid-90's, but I'm about 99.99999999999999% sure we will never have a run like we did in the mid-90's (60-3, almost impossible to do in today's environment unless your So Cal). I think if we'd implemented a spread type offense in 2004 (we had the dual threat QBs to do it), we would have had another NC within a few years. If Pedey hadn't decide to throw every tradition away we ever had, we'd been fine. So, it is pretty obvious to me that the true "crash" started in 2004 with BC.

No, I don't want a Solich debate. I just refuse to believe the CU started our decline. A lot of things could have happened and some did happend that would have brought us back to the national spotlight is all I'm saying. It just wasn't allowed.

On the other hand, it is just as likely that FS could have also decided to that we can't recruit QB's, scrap the position all together and direct snap to the FB.

Also, I truly doubt that we will be a "force" in the National Championship race year-in-and-year-out like we were. I think we can be a top 25 team every year, but the parity in college football is going to make it impossible that we are in the top 10/5 every year. People just may as well accept that as fact.

A lot of things have changed. We are now in the Big 12 with a championship game, we also do not get partial qualifies, scholarship max's have been reduced. Accept that if we are playing in a BCS bowl every 2-3 years, we are a very good program.

Accept that if we are playing in a BCS bowl every 2-3 years, we are a very good program.

NO, I WILL NOT!

I refuse to accept anything like that. Part of what makes this so special to everybody is that we EXPECT greatness. OU has been to 5 BCS bowls in 6 years. Why do you think we can't do that? What makes you think we can't be top 2 in the conference every year? There are 4 legitimate big money, big tradition programs in this conference. OU, Texas, aTm, and Nebraska. Notice we are the only ones in the North. The Big 12 setup actually helps us in this. We won't be back if we allow that pesimistic attitude to become the norm in this state.

I don't think this thread was meant to annoint us to only a top 25 level team. The author does not expect this to happen, but he has fears about it. You always have fears about anything you love. All of us love Husker Football, but we cannot allow ourselves to slip into any other level of expectation except the best. If our coaches and players work hard enough, they can and will be dominant again.

Nebraska Football will be back because that is what this fanbase demands. Plain and simple, we will not allow for us not to return to our rightful spot at or near the top of college football. WE LOVE IT TOO MUCH!

Accept that if we are playing in a BCS bowl every 2-3 years, we are a very good program.

NO, I WILL NOT!

I refuse to accept anything like that. Part of what makes this so special to everybody is that we EXPECT greatness. OU has been to 5 BCS bowls in 6 years. Why do you think we can't do that? What makes you think we can't be top 2 in the conference every year? There are 4 legitimate big money, big tradition programs in this conference. OU, Texas, aTm, and Nebraska. Notice we are the only ones in the North. The Big 12 setup actually helps us in this. We won't be back if we allow that pesimistic attitude to become the norm in this state.

I don't think this thread was meant to annoint us to only a top 25 level team. The author does not expect this to happen, but he has fears about it. You always have fears about anything you love. All of us love Husker Football, but we cannot allow ourselves to slip into any other level of expectation except the best. If our coaches and players work hard enough, they can and will be dominant again.

Nebraska Football will be back because that is what this fanbase demands. Plain and simple, we will not allow for us not to return to our rightful spot at or near the top of college football. WE LOVE IT TOO MUCH!

Why can't we do what OU has done? Wow. That is easy. Recruits. They have dramatically, dramatically better athletes than NU. They are faster, quicker and more talented with their second sting than we are with our first string players. I doubt that more than 2-3 of our starters would start at OU. And most of our starting guys would not be in the top 2 of the depth chart at OU. This is why. OU is closer to Texas and has a draw on athletes that NU does not.

One cannot expect 100HP cars to hang with 200 HP cars in a race. NU has middle conference horsepower. And middle conference horsepower does not often go to BCS bowls.

Now, in due course, Pelini and crew may make NU more desirable to recruits and the horsepower will go up --- but right now NU is bringing go-carts to a stock car race. There will be no BCS bowls until the NU athletic engine gets much, much, much bigger.

NO, I WILL NOT!

I don't think this thread was meant to anoint us to only a top 25 level team. The author does not expect this to happen, but he has fears about it. You always have fears about anything you love. All of us love Husker Football, but we cannot allow ourselves to slip into any other level of expectation except the best. If our coaches and players work hard enough, they can and will be dominant again.

Nebraska Football will be back because that is what this fan base demands. Plain and simple, we will not allow for us not to return to our rightful spot at or near the top of college football. WE LOVE IT TOO MUCH!

Why can't we do what OU has done? Wow. That is easy. Recruits. They have dramatically, dramatically better athletes than NU. They are faster, quicker and more talented with their second sting than we are with our first string players. I doubt that more than 2-3 of our starters would start at OU. And most of our starting guys would not be in the top 2 of the depth chart at OU. This is why. OU is closer to Texas and has a draw on athletes that NU does not.

One cannot expect 100HP cars to hang with 200 HP cars in a race. NU has middle conference horsepower. And middle conference horsepower does not often go to BCS bowls.

Now, in due course, Pelini and crew may make NU more desirable to recruits and the horsepower will go up --- but right now NU is bringing go-carts to a stock car race. There will be no BCS bowls until the NU athletic engine gets much, much, much bigger.

good analogy from robsker.......unfortunately