Pancake block contest update

Omaha World Herald

11:05 a.m.: Senior Matt Slauson gave an update Tuesday on the offensive line's pancake blocking competition that began in the middle of fall camp.

They've kept track of how many defenders they can knock down, turning a friendly pastime into another way to earn locker room bragging rights.

The leader is Ricky Henry, the junior college transfer who has impressed coaches and teammates with his physical practice approach. But Slauson trails by only one and he seems pretty determined to take that top spot.

"That's really good for us because that's all we got," he said. "We don't get receiving yards or rushing yards. The only yards we get to look at is how many the back gets."

And don't forget those holding and false start penalties that linemen tend to tally up too. "We would like to keep our numbers up in an area that we won't get in trouble for," Slauson said.

By the way, Slauson may have had the best quote during Tuesday's press conference. He was asked if the Husker coaches plan to call at least 50 run plays per game.

This was his answer: "I have no idea. They don't tell me anything. I just block."

Pancake blocks aren't a "real" stat anymore are they? I really wish they would have kept this as an official stat. Remember when Finoti (spelling?) averaged about 20 or so a game? that was insane

Yeah, just abusing opposing D-lines...

But wasn't he something like 6'5, about 360lbs?

Pancake blocks aren't a "real" stat anymore are they? I really wish they would have kept this as an official stat. Remember when Finoti (spelling?) averaged about 20 or so a game? that was insane

Actually the team will have this an official stat again this year. Look at the very bottom of the linked story. Good to see it back!!!!!

http://huskerextra.com/articles/2008/08/15...65200349355.txt