Steinkuhler named NU Defensive Player of the Week

Journal Star

Sorry, Cody Glenn.

The enthusiasm was breathtaking. The 12 tackles, outstanding. The pass breakups and forced fumble, quite noteworthy. Especially considering you’d never before played linebacker.

But this time, give a bow to Ty Steinkuhler. Coaches named him Nebraska’s defensive player of the week after the Western Michigan game.

With little argument from teammates.

“I mean, he played his (butt) off,” Nebraska nose tackle Ndamukong Suh said. “He had a hell of a game. I’m very proud of him.”

Steinkuhler, a senior defensive tackle, was instrumental in helping Nebraska’s front four plug those gaping holes so memorable from last season. WMU had a measly 8 yards rushing.

Steinkuhler had a career-high eight tackles, three unassisted. He had 13 total tackles all of last season — 10 games for Steinkuhler, who fought injury.

“I can see there’s been tremendous strides in his play from spring ball,” Nebraska offensive guard Matt Slauson said. “He’s a totally different player.

“His hands are fantastic. He plays lower than anyone I’ve ever seen. His hands are some of the best I’ve ever seen. And he’s really, really fast, too.”

Why has Steinkuhler’s level of play improved?

“I don’t know,” Slauson said. “It could be confidence, because that was my deal. Just knowing what to do on every play, being completely sure of it, completely trusting of the coaches and the other players on your side of the ball.

“It could be because it’s his last go, too.”

Steinkuhler declined interview requests this week, which has become the norm for the soft-spoken son of former Husker great Dean Steinkuhler. Until Saturday, Ty hadn’t done much on the field to draw comparisons to his father, an All-America offensive guard.

Some wondered in the preseason whether Steinkuhler would do anything at all this season, given a back injury he suffered in winter conditioning. He missed much of the first week of fall camp.

Defensive coordinator and line coach Carl Pelini, though, said he was never concerned about Steinkuhler’s status. The time Steinkuhler missed in fall camp, Pelini said, was simply a precautionary measure.

“I know it gets sore on him, but he’s a tough son-of-a-gun,” Pelini said. “He would be out there every snap if I let him.”

Pelini credited trainers for putting Steinkuhler on a regimen that includes core strengthening. He’s noticed progress, too.

“Knock on wood,” Pelini said, “but in the last 10 days or so, I haven’t seen any twinges or ill effects of that back.

“Do I spend a lot of time watching it? No. But he’ll be the first one to tell me if he needs a break or if it’s getting to that point (where he can’t play). But I don’t expect it to.”

Watching from the sideline, Slauson said he was “amazed” at Steinkuhler’s performance Saturday.

“He came out with his hair on fire,” Slauson said.

Fans and media, though, marveled at Glenn darting around, busting up passes and flying to ball carriers.

Steinkuhler?

“He’s one of those guys who kind of flies under the radar,” Suh said, “but definitely comes through with you at the end.”

Pelini noted Steinkuhler’s “amazing motor” and said he’s taken to the coaches’ hand techniques.

“He uses them to his advantage,” Pelini said, “and you combine that with his motor and his quickness, and man, he just looks fast out there.”

Pair him with the powerful Suh, and you’ve got yourself a solid interior.

“Ty’s physical, but to me, he uses his quickness a little more,” Pelini said. “They feed off each other very well.”

The key is for the defensive line is to continue to develop depth. Pelini is working nine players across the front four, and wants to get a 10th into the rotation — perhaps Ben Martin or David Harvey.

“It could be a lot of guys,” Pelini said. “We’ll see how it comes.”

Reach Brian Rosenthal at 473-7436 or brosenthal@journalstar.com.

I'm thinking Ty made fewer errors than Cody for one , and on the other hand I think that'll make Cody hungrier for weeks to come... that's a nice pat on the back being defensive player of the week.... WAY TO GO STEINKUHLER ! :clap

I agree...while Cody was everywhere, there was still a lot of over pursuit and more mistakes made on his behalf. Fret not #34 fans, his day will come. Good for Ty, nice to see the 'other' Steinkuhler getting some press.

I'm thinking Ty made fewer errors than Cody for one , and on the other hand I think that'll make Cody hungrier for weeks to come... that's a nice pat on the back being defensive player of the week.... WAY TO GO STEINKUHLER ! :clap

You really do bring up a good point. Again Congrats to Ty Steinkuhler on the defensive award.

Congrats to TY and the coaching staff for recognizing his play. I didn't actually notice that he had the game that he did. The D-line is always an unsung hero if they are not getting sacks. But anyways, congrats to Ty, in which was, do I dare say, a Blackshirt performace.

At one point during the game, ESPN had him leading the team in tackles. Of course I saw Steinkuhler listed and thought "They put Baker in? And he's killing them!" :wasted

I agree, that's probably the difference. They were both deserving, but I think Ty's play was a little cleaner, so may have been the tie breaker.