Parity had come to fruition folks....

It is apparent that parity has done exactly what the NCAA wanted it to do with the cuts in the scholarships. We are seeing week to week teams that come out of no where to challenge the traditional power houses. Just ask Michigan about it...lol.

Call me crazy, but I think the days of each conference having a couple teams at the end of the season that are either unbeaten or with one loss is coming to a close - I can see some of the larger conferences or conferences with two divisions having a battle to win that division or conference with 2 or even 3 losses... and furthermore I predict that we will have a NC in the next ten years that actually has 2 losses. There may be another team that only has one loss that same year, but the team that has 2 losses will have had a tougher strength of schedule that will come into play in the computer rankings if not in the polls done by the coaches or press. The competition for the top bowl games will become more intense, and the process may have to be overhauled to make it more fair to all teams.

Parity is a good thing for the teams that have been at the bottom of their conferences year after year, but it is going to hurt the powerhouse schools like Michigan, Ohio State, USC, and even the Oklahoma's and Nebraska's of the world, because it is going to cost them money. It may also cost them fans, because it will no longer be fun to be "part of" a fan base when your team doesn't always win...because there are those fans that only are there when times are good, then disappear when things go south.

If the lesser schools are all of a sudden more competitive, then schools that have been power houses will no longer have a reason not to schedule other power houses that are out of conference. If you are going to have a loss, why not lose to a team that you can explain later is a power house rather than an up and coming team that has never been viewed as a winner, even though they in actuality may be as good as any other team in the country.

Just watching todays scoreboard made it apparent to me that this parity has made a big difference. The bookies in Vegas must be climbing the walls....because trying to put a line on a game has just about been thrown out the window...you just never know who is going to have a good game and play above their traditional place, and who is going to be caught sleepwalking, or just showing up expecting to win. I am glad I don't make my living making books...

the 85 scholarship thing doesn't bother me. what bothers me is all the rule changes the NCAA has made the last 10 years that has led to more offensive games and especially the passing game. The way they call DPI (sometimes you see offensive interference being called defensive), the out of pocket throw aways, now the clock change- just all the things where they mimicked the NFL. College has always been better than the NFL, but i just feel like the game has dimished alot just to make it spicier for people who don't know batsh#t about the sport.

I predict that we will have a NC in the next ten years that actually has 2 losses. There may be another team that only has one loss that same year, but the team that has 2 losses will have had a tougher strength of schedule that will come into play in the computer rankings if not in the polls done by the coaches or press.

Bold prediction there, sir. Refresh my memory . . . which team won the NC last year?

Oh, yeah.

LSU%20Athletics%20Primary.JPG

And which BCS team who finished with one loss but played a cupcake schedule didn't get in?

Ahh, yes.

Jayhawks_logo.png

:P

We did not play a cupcake scheudle. You guys were no where one of the easier half of the games we played. It was not an awesome schedule, and I agree we did not deserve the title game, but I am not sure how Ohio State got it, as if you go objectively look, we had a better record than them.

I'll shut it for now on that, I had another point to make...

Parity has definitely helped us. Reesing would be on the bench at UT if they would have offerd him. A lot of the players we get out of Texas would have loved to be Longhorns, but they can't get em all. We even get a few guys out of Nebraska, Callahan need not offer em, he did not have the spots. Parity is a real changer...

It's not just the scholarship limits.

It's also the explosion in media coverage.

How many games can be seen on TV every Saturday, where before, there were only 3 network outlets.

I've seen both East Carolina (What are they...Pirates? ...arrr) games so far, and haven't even seen my Huskers on the tube yet.

Makes it a little easier to convince a recruit that you can get them on the moving pictures box a few times a season.

I know most of us say we like close games more (like we have due to parity) but there was something nice about getting a big lead..seeing the 4th team kid from your hometown get some snaps and have a party in the stands.

These games are getting as hard to pick as NFL games..Next thing you know they'll also have playoffs and complete the transformation to mediocrity..and have a boring (almost meaningless) regular season just like the NFL.

:rant

We did not play a cupcake scheudle. You guys were no where one of the easier half of the games we played. It was not an awesome schedule, and I agree we did not deserve the title game, but I am not sure how Ohio State got it, as if you go objectively look, we had a better record than them.

I'll shut it for now on that, I had another point to make...

Parity has definitely helped us. Reesing would be on the bench at UT if they would have offerd him. A lot of the players we get out of Texas would have loved to be Longhorns, but they can't get em all. We even get a few guys out of Nebraska, Callahan need not offer em, he did not have the spots. Parity is a real changer...

what do you call your schedule then????

the teams that play their tough conference schedule maybe can play these "cupcake" schedules.... yes yours was a cupcake schedule.. oh, and you played baylor, oklahoma state, and texas A&M from the south.. wow.... you have got to be kidding me... thats pathetic... then the only true game. you lose. missouri. nebraska? colorado? k-state? iowa state? right.

Call me crazy, but I think the days of each conference having a couple teams at the end of the season that are either unbeaten or with one loss is coming to a close - I can see some of the larger conferences or conferences with two divisions having a battle to win that division or conference with 2 or even 3 losses...

LSU becomes a national champion with two loses.

that's pretty much the future right there.