Hard-hitting Wednesday practice

Journal Star Blog

A hard-hitting Wednesday practice

Nebraska apparently hasn't backed off on hard hitting in practice since the start of the regular season (cue the Bill Callahan criticism).

"I'll tell you what, this may have been the most physical practice of the year that we just had," Husker offensive line coach Barney Cotton said right after Wednesday's full-pad session at Memorial Stadium.

Why did Nebraska turn it up Wednesday?

"We wanted to play at full speed," Cotton said. "We expect to be playing against another defense that, even though we don't know for sure what they'll do, we expect an awful lot of movement. And the only way to block movement is to block it fast."

San Jose State was based out of a four-man front, while New Mexico State features a three-man front or sometimes even a two-man look "with an awful lot of fast and athletic guys running around and getting in all sorts of different positions where you really have to be assignment sound and make sure you're putting a hat on a hat."

As for Lydon Murtha's return, Cotton said, "He probably took a fourth to a third of the snaps, a little bit with the ones (first string), more with the twos. We'll just gauge the effects of pads and contact and go from there."

As for Murtha's two-game absence, "The biggest thing, it affected our depth. You always hate to lose a guy you were counting on. But we were fortunate enough to have some depth. But Lydon was a starter going in. Hopefully he'll recover quickly and knock the rust off. I think the biggest thing is the conditioning aspect. I'll tell you what, though, he looked awfully fresh-legged today."

This is great to hear. But, like Coach Pelini said earlier this week, they have been practicing great and now we just need to get them to play like that on game day. It's time for the offense, defense, and special teams to show up and perform. Start fast and finish the game strong. We need to start building on consistancy before we get into our Big XII games. Here's to hoping this next game is a complete blowout. GBR!

Since everyone else is :P

92 Oklahoma State W 1-0 (I actually don't remember going to this game . . . I was four)

95 Pacific W 2-0

96 Kansas W 3-0

96 Missouri W 4-0

96 Colorado W 5-0

99 Oklahoma State W 6-0

01 Texas Tech W 7-0

04 Colorado L 7-1 :(

06 Big 12 Championship: Oklahoma L 7-2 :(

So I'm not on a good streak at the moment . . .

Edit: Holy crud, I forgot one. Updated.

Everyone else is:

all 1996-1998 home games...only one loss

1999 away game at iowa plus all home games...undefeated

2000 ND game and all home games...undefeated

01 KSU game..win

01 Rose Bowl....ouch

03 KSU...Ouch ouch

05 Maine. win but empty inside

06 USC Ouch ouch ouch

07 USC Ouch Ouch OUch OUCH!!!

Ever since I graduated it has really gotten crappyy. I take full blame for this.

The 1st game can remember was in '70?, and the JET took a punt 2 da houz vs UCLA, HA! The last was '94? w TD TOMMIE vs CSU, I think.

Saw about 30 games overall and only 2 losses: OU '76?, and MO '78. Oh yeah, L 2 OU '78 Orange Bowl-was in the marching band.

Bookended by NC teams! :w00t