Prep work for "Beamer Ball" begins

Journal Star

Prep work for Beamer Ball begins

By the Lincoln Journal Star

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2008 - 07:36:14 pm CDT

Familiarity won’t be a problem for Bo Pelini when it comes to Virginia Tech, Nebraska’s next and toughest test to date.

The Husker head coach went against Frank Beamer’s Hokies last season while he was the defensive coordinator at LSU.

The eventual national champion Tigers won that early September contest in a blowout, 48-7. Tech rebounded well, winning the ACC and clinching a berth in the Orange Bowl, where it lost to Kansas.

“That was a different time, different place,” Pelini said of last year’s meeting with the Hokies. “I said after the game we could play them 10 more times, it probably would have been a lot different 10 times. It just so happened they had some tough things happen to them early in the game and it kind of snowballed.”

The Hokies are 2-1, coming off a 20-17 win at home against Georgia Tech. Virginia Tech, which plays at North Carolina this weekend, lost its opener to East Carolina 27-22.

“You think of programs that have been extremely successful over the last 10 to 12 years, really ever since (Beamer) took over, they’re one of them,” Pelini said after Nebraska’s Tuesday practice. “They’re up there in the top of the rankings every single year.”

Is the Sept. 27 contest a statement game for Nebraska, someone asked?

“Every game is a statement game,” Pelini said. “I don’t get caught up in all that. That’s for the fans and the media and everybody else. We’re going to approach it like we do every other game. We’re going to prepare the same way and let it all hang loose when the game starts.”

This and that: With Nebraska in the midst of a bye week and assistants on the road recruiting, the Huskers had a short workout inside the stadium that lasted little more than an hour on Tuesday. “You want to get your work done, but you got to be smart about letting our guys get healthy and get their legs back,” Pelini said. ... After missing the past two games, safety Rickey Thenarse is “pretty much full go,” Pelini said, “but we want to keep him from hitting this week and then turn him loose next Monday. We want to protect him during this bye week and make sure he doesn’t do something stupid.”... As for defensive end Pierre Allen? “We’ll see how it goes. We’re probably going to hold him out this week and let him start practicing this Monday,” Pelini said. ... The coach said cornerback Anthony West, who missed Saturday’s game, is day-to-day.

Scouting report: OL, Andy Christensen

Senior offensive lineman Andy Christensen’s suspension is over. He’s available to be used against Virginia Tech. But after a six-month stint away from the team, is he in the shape or caught up in the playbook enough to possibly play against the Hokies?

If anyone could make an impact after such a short time back, it’s Christensen, said fellow senior offensive lineman Matt Slauson.

“Andy had a lot to deal with. I couldn’t even fathom. But Andy is probably the smartest guy on our O-line,” Slauson said. “Having him pick up our offense again will be no sweat just because the offense hasn’t changed much. ... I think the biggest thing to him is just getting into the speed of the game, getting back into shape. That will be the only thing is, how fast he can do all that?

“Having a bye week now is really going to help him there.”

Opponent watch: Texas Tech

Despite 693 yards of total offense Saturday and a 43-7 trouncing of SMU, Texas Tech coach Mike Leach is hardly impressed with where his offense is at this point in the season.

As the Dallas Morning News reported, not even heralded quarterback Graham Harrell and receiver Michael Crabtree were up to the coach’s standard.

“What we’ve done, quite honestly, for two-and-a-half games, I don’t consider acceptable,” Leach said, according to the Morning News. “I don’t know at what point we think that we’ve arrived. This group of quarterbacks and receivers, we haven’t done anything impressive.”

Just asking: Are the Huskers putting even more emphasis on special teams as they get ready for a Virginia Tech team renowned for its special teams?

“There’s always an emphasis on special teams around here. That’s always a phase of the game we want to win,” Pelini said. “We understand their history on special teams and how good they are. We always emphasize it but players understand we need to play well in that phase of the game in this contest.”

— Brian Christopherson

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Va Tech is gonna get smoked by NU. I was pretty cynical going into the season, and I still am about many upcoming games, but this is no longer one of them.

Va Tech won a remarkably weak conference last year to get into a BCS bowl. KU then beat them handily, which no longer surprises me given how the early '08 season has played out.

NU wins 24-14, with Va Tech getting a TD in garbage time against a prevent D. They won't have more than 250 yds total offense. Pelini knows how to stop them. We won't be as effective as LSU was last year for obvious personnel reasons, but I think the players will come into the game prepared and surprise everybody.

Then we lose to Mizzou. Back to reality.

“Every game is a statement game,” Pelini said. “I don’t get caught up in all that. That’s for the fans and the media and everybody else. We’re going to approach it like we do every other game. We’re going to prepare the same way and let it all hang loose when the game starts.”

Sounds exactly like something Callahan would say, but Bo don't know coachspeak. :sarcasm

Sounds exactly like something Callahan would say, but Bo don't know coachspeak. :sarcasm

Does it? What do you want him to say? It's coachspeak.

The idea of coachspeak to me...is that reporters don't know how to press for real information, therefore they get nothing but "coachspeak" quotes that coaches learn as grad assistants or something...

Granted, there are some coaches that are never going to give you anything, but I have a feeling that Bo would be very quotable if you really got him to talk. Maybe this reporter needs to invest in a good bottle of Crown Royal?

i honestly think "beamer ball" is one of the biggest myths in college football. Frank Beamer turned the program from nothing into a year in year out bowl team and won the Big East five times, sure, but come on, the biggest win this program has ever had was the 95 Sugar bowl against texas. Either beamer has maxed out as a coach or he's taken the hokies as far has he can possibly take them.

Beamerball is just about winning kinda ugly. Play tough D, make some plays on ST's, and don't blow your leg off on O. The big key for us will be the turnover battle. If we don't give-up any cheap scores, force VT to drive the field for each score, we have a good chance. I'd say that and tackling, don't let Taylor burn us on the ground, make him pass.

i honestly think "beamer ball" is one of the biggest myths in college football. Frank Beamer turned the program from nothing into a year in year out bowl team and won the Big East five times, sure, but come on, the biggest win this program has ever had was the 95 Sugar bowl against texas. Either beamer has maxed out as a coach or he's taken the hokies as far has he can possibly take them.

I tend to agree.

Beamerball is just about winning kinda ugly. Play tough D, make some plays on ST's, and don't blow your leg off on O. The big key for us will be the turnover battle. If we don't give-up any cheap scores, force VT to drive the field for each score, we have a good chance. I'd say that and tackling, don't let Taylor burn us on the ground, make him pass.

So what is different than any other Saturday?