Forde Yard Dash

Forde Yard Dash

Bombs Away In The Big 12

College football would be nothing without endless debate -- who is No. 1, which conference is best, who should win the Heisman, who should be this week 's Dashette, etc. -- but the argument has ended on one subject.

The best quarterbacking in the country is going on in the Big 12.

This is not necessarily breaking news. Almost all of the conference's dozen QBs were playing at a high level last season, and some of them for several years. But now, they've gone and taken over college football. The race to be a first-team All-American is only slightly more competitive than the race to be first-team all-Big 12.

Consider: Six of the NCAA's top seven active QBs in career passing efficiency are in the Big 12. The league also has three of the NCAA's top four in 2008 efficiency … and four of the top eight … six of the top 13 … eight of the top 24 … 11 of the top 40. Five of them are ahead of the efficiency rating that led the nation in 2007 (176.5).

In a league that loves the spread offense, these guys barely even throw incompletions anymore. Six of them are completing more than 70 percent of their passes -- last year, just one did so.

These guys are so good they have run other quality quarterbacks out of the league or out of the position. Allan Evridge left Kansas State and is now the starter at Wisconsin, Jevan Snead transferred from Texas and is starting at Mississippi, and Kerry Meier moved to wide receiver last season at Kansas and has excelled there.

Soon, they'll have to start doing it in league games, which might cool down the numbers a bit. Before then, The Dash lists all 12, best to least:

Chase Daniel (2), Missouri. National efficiency rank: fourth. Key stat: Missouri presently leads the nation in scoring and total offense, and Daniel has more touchdowns (seven) than incompletions (six) in his past two games. Next game: Home against Buffalo on Saturday.

Sam Bradford (3), Oklahoma. National efficiency rank: second. Key stat: He has thrown 10 touchdowns in his past 54 attempts, a crazy 18.8 percent touchdown percentage, and leads the nation in completion percentage at 79. Next game: Home against TCU on Sept. 27.

Colt McCoy (4), Texas. National efficiency rank: eighth. Key stat: In addition to throwing it around with aplomb, he has rushed for a team-high 111 yards in two games. Next game: Home against Rice on Saturday.

Graham Harrell (5), Texas Tech. National efficiency rank: 37th. Key stat: He has 16 400-yard passing games in his career and is the nation's active yardage leader -- by a mile. Next game: Home against Massachusetts on Saturday.

Todd Reesing (6), Kansas. National efficiency rank: 24th. Key stat: Formidable rhythm quarterback has accounted for 46 touchdowns, running and passing, in 16 games. Next game: Home against Sam Houston State on Saturday.

Zac Robinson (7), Oklahoma State. National efficency rank: 11th. Key stat: Averaging 11.4 yards per pass attempt, fourth-best nationally. Next game: Home against Troy on Sept. 27.

Josh Freeman (8), Kansas State. National efficiency rank: third. Key stat: After being plagued by picks as a freshman, the junior hasn't thrown an interception in three-plus games dating to November 2007 and has thrown just one in his past five-plus games. Next game: At Louisville on Wednesday in a big one for both teams.

Cody Hawkins (9), Colorado. National efficiency rank: 35th. Key stat: The coach's son has accounted for 15 touchdowns in his past five games, dating to his true freshman season in 2007. Next game: Home against West Virginia on Thursday in a huge game for Colorado credibility.

Joe Ganz (10), Nebraska. National efficiency rank: 23rd. Key stat: Diversified his portfolio Saturday against New Mexico State by catching a 20-yard touchdown pass, throwing a TD and running for a score as well. Next game: Home against Virginia Tech on Sept. 27.

Robert Griffin (11), Baylor. National efficiency rank: 13th. Key stat: True freshman is the top rushing quarterback in the nation after tearing through Washington State for 217 yards this past Thursday. His 19.7 yards per carry in that game set a Big 12 record for single-game average. Next game: At Connecticut on Friday.

Austen Arnaud (12), Iowa State. National efficiency rank: 40th. Key stat: The Cyclones have won five games under second-year coach Gene Chizik, four of them when Arnaud has had at least 10 combined runs or throws. Next game: At UNLV on Saturday.

Stephen McGee (13), Texas A&M. National efficiency rank: 85th. Key stat: He is 2-1 as a starter against hated rival Texas and produced 736 yards of total offense in those three games. That's 10.7 percent of his career production in only 8.3 percent of his games. Next game: Home against Miami on Saturday. (McGee injured his shoulder early in the Aggies' Sept. 6 victory over New Mexico and might be replaced in the lineup against the Hurricanes by sophomore Jerrod Johnson.)

Undefeated And Under Radar

The Dash examines a dozen teams currently cruising without a loss but also without much love. The question: Do they deserve a big hug or a cold shoulder?

Nebraska (26). Wins so far: Western Michigan, San Jose State, New Mexico State. Sagarin strength of schedule rating: 138th. The Cornhuskers are another team that hasn't seen the inside of an airport since last year, fattening up on underwhelming competition. They don't take a road trip until Oct. 11, but the going gets tougher when Virginia Tech (Sept. 27) and Missouri (Oct. 4) visit Lincoln. Verdict: Jury still out.

Daniel has more touchdowns (seven) than incompletions (six) in his past two games.

(Sam Bradford)He has thrown 10 touchdowns in his past 54 attempts, a crazy 18.8 percent touchdown percentage, and leads the nation in completion percentage at 79.

(Graham Harrell) He has 16 400-yard passing games in his career and is the nation's active yardage leader -- by a mile.

Absolutely sick numbers, I don't care if they do come against cupcakes, they are still college football teams. We're going to have our hands full.

GBR

Strength of Schedule is 138th? It can't be that bad...even if they are just considering the 1st three games....I know we don't have a SOS of 138th for the whole schedule. What are they smoking? There has to be a lot of other teams with worse schedules than we have.

I can't access the stats from work, but see what they say on the NCAA site. They have a link for "Cumualative Opposition" (which I assume is based teams played already), "Future Opposition" and "Past Opposition".

NCAA Stats Page

Strength of Schedule is 138th? It can't be that bad...even if they are just considering the 1st three games....I know we don't have a SOS of 138th for the whole schedule. What are they smoking? There has to be a lot of other teams with worse schedules than we have.

It is just the first 3 games. Sagarin has W. Mich as #86, N. Mex. St as # 138 and San Jose St as #96. Not a stellar group. Mizzou's SOS is worse with S.E. Missouri State in the mix.

Daniel has more touchdowns (seven) than incompletions (six) in his past two games.

(Sam Bradford)He has thrown 10 touchdowns in his past 54 attempts, a crazy 18.8 percent touchdown percentage, and leads the nation in completion percentage at 79.

(Graham Harrell) He has 16 400-yard passing games in his career and is the nation's active yardage leader -- by a mile.

Absolutely sick numbers, I don't care if they do come against cupcakes, they are still college football teams. We're going to have our hands full.

GBR

When you throw nothing but 5-10 yard passes and let Jeremy Maclin do the hard work, it's probably not hard to post good completion percentages.

I guess I haven't watched MU play much this year, but I wonder if they really depend on Daniel that much. These spread offenses are all systemic. Texas Tech just plugs in new QBs every 1-2 years and production stays pretty much constant. I fear that we may be dealing with a tough Missouri offense for years to come, even when Daniel is gone.

I can't believe I'm giving Pinkel credit for something.

GBR

When you throw nothing but 5-10 yard passes and let Jeremy Maclin do the hard work, it's probably not hard to post good completion percentages.

I guess I haven't watched MU play much this year, but I wonder if they really depend on Daniel that much. These spread offenses are all systemic. Texas Tech just plugs in new QBs every 1-2 years and production stays pretty much constant. I fear that we may be dealing with a tough Missouri offense for years to come, even when Daniel is gone.

It does appear that Missouri will own the B12 N for quite some time. One scary thing is that MU is now retaining most of their best HS athletes --- something that they never used to do. Missouri, as a state, generates a fair number of fine athletes too. Also, MU is recruiting Texas better than ever. The result is that they have a real good shot at setting up camp as the king of the B12 N for quite some time.

Frankly, they are pulling further ahead of NU in that they have been out-recruiting the Huskers. So, I do not see any evidence that NU is closing the gap on MU talent wise --- Mu is well ahead of Nu in talent and, if anything, it is likely that the gap is a constant, or is widening. Now, NU may get more out of the athletes they do have and may improve some (maybe quite a bit) but MU looks to be the unchallenged king for the immediate future.

GBR

It does appear that Missouri will own the B12 N for quite some time. One scary thing is that MU is now retaining most of their best HS athletes --- something that they never used to do. Missouri, as a state, generates a fair number of fine athletes too. Also, MU is recruiting Texas better than ever. The result is that they have a real good shot at setting up camp as the king of the B12 N for quite some time.

Frankly, they are pulling further ahead of NU in that they have been out-recruiting the Huskers. So, I do not see any evidence that NU is closing the gap on MU talent wise --- Mu is well ahead of Nu in talent and, if anything, it is likely that the gap is a constant, or is widening. Now, NU may get more out of the athletes they do have and may improve some (maybe quite a bit) but MU looks to be the unchallenged king for the immediate future.

If we rebuild our reputation as a defense/power running school, we can even the playing field, though. NU was strongest when it had lots of walk-ons and scholarship players from New Jersey. I don't think we need to go head to head with Mizzou in recruiting talent to compete with them.

I ain't skrrrrd.

although i agree that missouri has more talent.. i don't see how they have been widening the gap in what has been the most "talent rich" period for the Huskers in recruiting?

i agree that they are better, more talented, what not.... but that doesn't mean they are going to win.. like you said, they have to be coached to their ability.... i'll be interested to see what happens next year w/o daniel.....

although i agree that missouri has more talent.. i don't see how they have been widening the gap in what has been the most "talent rich" period for the Huskers in recruiting?

i agree that they are better, more talented, what not.... but that doesn't mean they are going to win.. like you said, they have to be coached to their ability.... i'll be interested to see what happens next year w/o daniel.....

I think they'll still hum along on O.

I think we'll continue to improve on D, though. They want to push the tempo of the game with their short passes and spread O. We can be just as effective by dominating the line of scrimmage on both sides. Run and play D. Pass when you need to.

Mizzou has been a neat experiment. Hopefully our D can close the gap, though.

GBR

Texas Tech is pretty much running the same offense they have ever since Leach has been there. They have won the Big 12 South how many times again? Yeah, it's a very systemic offense where they simply plug a QB. The way to beat them is the way OU and Texas have pretty much handled them. You play good defense, and you play power football with them. You keep their explosive offense off the field as much as possible. In 1995, Florida's fun'n gun was supposed to run circles around our D. We saw how that turned out. In order to get back to the top of the North, we have to recruit defense first. We will have to go back to a power running game which it appears after last week Watson is willing to do with some passes mixed in there. When we were dominant, we had LB's like Farley and Williams. They may have been a bit undersized, but they were extremely fast and hit like a train. We had some very good safeties in there as well and more than capable corners. This is what we'll have to recruit to in years to come. Speed, speed, speed is what will counter any spread out there with the addition of a strong front 4. I will say that so far I'm rather impressed with the front 4 play especially Steinkuhler. He may not make every play, but his play typically leads to someone else getting a hand in there. We're getting better, and we may be a very powerful force to be reckoned with towards the latter 1/3 of the season. VT may be a good measuring stick for our offense, but I don't know about the D. No matter what anyone thinks of VT this year, they are still a very well coached team that can be dangerous if taken lightly.

this has not been, by any means, a "talent rich" period of recruiting for NU. That is illusion. Nu recruited well under Osborne, it went down with Solich and down again with (or, at best equal) under Callahan. The Callahan recruits were not very good --- we lost almost all the big names, those that signed on largely crapped out or were not what they were hyped to be. NU under Callahan had mid-conference recruiting, no more. So far, the Pelini recruiting seems to be, well... too early to say definatively, but it also appears to be mid-level --- hopefully that will change.