Using the teams talent

bhunt7

Do the Huskers have the talent to run the spread offense. I hear over and over about how teams are winning because of their "systems." I don't think people realize how much the spread has helped mediocre teams such as Kansas, Texas Tech, and Missouri, look good. Would Nebraska's current talent have more success in the spread?

maybe but it wont happen this season

ps

I dont think ganz works well in the shotgun, and NU does not have a receiver that can spread out the D.

The skers should just go back to the option. Maybe not right away, but gradually.

Thats what Nebraska was about and I know it is still in the hearts of most huskerfans

ps

I dont think ganz works well in the shotgun, and NU does not have a receiver that can spread out the D.

The skers should just go back to the option. Maybe not right away, but gradually.

Thats what Nebraska was about and I know it is still in the hearts of most huskerfans

Ganz ran the shotgun pretty well at the end of last season. I think he'd be effective in the spread. I also think that running the option again would be a huge risk that could have an even greater reward. There is a reason that it worked for so long in college football. Defense's these days are aimed toward stopping the spread. Teams are going for smaller, faster dline and linebackers. Would todays defenses be able to stop a powerful option ground attack? Would option give the Huskers that edge that they once had? Would Cody Green be the man to turn things around?

To some degree I think it depends on which type of spread you're refering to. If you're refering to a Fla, Utah, WVU type of spread that relies more on the ground game to set up the pass, then I dont think so. I think they could run a Mizzou, TT type spread, but without their levels of success. I dont think its a bad idea considering they have no running game.

Ultimately if the O-line and QB were better (regardless of the ratio of fault between talent and coaching), everyone would be fine with the offensive scheme currently in place. It seemed pretty darn awesome after Ganz took it over last year.

ps

Ganz ran the shotgun pretty well at the end of last season. I think he'd be effective in the spread. I also think that running the option again would be a huge risk that could have an even greater reward. There is a reason that it worked for so long in college football. Defense's these days are aimed toward stopping the spread. Teams are going for smaller, faster dline and linebackers. Would todays defenses be able to stop a powerful option ground attack? Would option give the Huskers that edge that they once had? Would Cody Green be the man to turn things around?

Speed is was kills the Triple Option out of the I formation, not size. So since Defenses are going to Speed rather than size, that would even be worse off than when we ran it in 02- 03

Do the Huskers have the talent to run the spread offense. I hear over and over about how teams are winning because of their "systems." I don't think people realize how much the spread has helped mediocre teams such as Kansas, Texas Tech, and Missouri, look good. Would Nebraska's current talent have more success in the spread?

Teams without talent (like NU) can do the spread and be competitive. It is the fastest route to offensive success.

The west coast offense takes a great deal of talent and developed experience to pull off. Plus, a poorly executed WCO is easy to stop. That is where we are now.

Now is the time to experiment with system and to play youth. This season exists now for the purpose of preparing for next year --- it should have been that way from the outset. You do not go into a rebuilding season playing a senior at QB. You play freshman and sophomores, take your lumps, get your experience and play for the future. All it takes is the coaches to recognize that this season is done and that we are dedicated to play for the future. This is how it should have been from the start.

I am not certain that a full bore spread is where to go --- but I am certain that the WCO needs to be dumped. Experiment now --- hope you win a game or two in the experimental phase and gear up for next season (which itself is gearing up for the year to follow). No one should expect NU at .500 or above this year or next year --- but if done right, by the year to follow the system can be in place and the team competitive.

The best hope to recruit is to tell the recruits that we are gearing up. This, what you see is experimental and developing --- come and see where we can head.

ps

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.a...mp;pr_key=36161

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.a...mp;pr_key=50737

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.a...mp;pr_key=42919

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.a...mp;pr_key=42919

we have them... but for one reason or another they are not seeing the field enough. I dont know if they drop to many balls in practice, or they dont play hard enough... maybe they dont block well enough. whatever the reason, they arent playing

One thing is for sure, under the current offensive scheme we can't run the ball worth beans...but we also don't have a line that will block worth a hill of beans, and I think it would be important for them to cover their blocking assignments for a spread offense to work.

I don't see that happening...sorry.

i have no doubt we can run a version of the spread. look at the numbers and the yardage joe ganz put up towards the end of last year. the problem we have right now is that watson is trying to run the ball first then throw second. everybody knows we can't run the ball...the only way we'll be able to run the ball right now is to spread out the defense and throw it all over the freakin' place and THEN hope to surprise the defense by running some...we just have to come out with the mentality that we WILL throw and throw until you give us some running room...the problem right now is that watson wants so bad to be multiple...very few team can do everything good...i don't remember a tom osborne team ever being very balance on offense..their bread and butter was running the ball so that's what they did because that's what their players are suited for...watson needs to just air it out and then the running game will come if you're successful

The biggest problem we are facing, regardless of the system, is an ineffective O-Line. It doesn't matter what we try to do. We have to run Shotgun formations do get Ganz some extra time before the defense is up in his face.

I personally would be in favor of installing a Spread Option based offense, which I think would utilize Luckys versatility out of the backfield. The problem with this is the O-Line needs to be versatile. As far as installing a full blown spread attack, I just dont think we have the personel seeing playing time to do it.

Teams without talent (like NU) can do the spread and be competitive. It is the fastest route to offensive success.

The west coast offense takes a great deal of talent and developed experience to pull off. Plus, a poorly executed WCO is easy to stop. That is where we are now.

Now is the time to experiment with system and to play youth. This season exists now for the purpose of preparing for next year --- it should have been that way from the outset. You do not go into a rebuilding season playing a senior at QB. You play freshman and sophomores, take your lumps, get your experience and play for the future. All it takes is the coaches to recognize that this season is done and that we are dedicated to play for the future. This is how it should have been from the start.

I am not certain that a full bore spread is where to go --- but I am certain that the WCO needs to be dumped. Experiment now --- hope you win a game or two in the experimental phase and gear up for next season (which itself is gearing up for the year to follow). No one should expect NU at .500 or above this year or next year --- but if done right, by the year to follow the system can be in place and the team competitive.

The best hope to recruit is to tell the recruits that we are gearing up. This, what you see is experimental and developing --- come and see where we can head.

WHAAAATT?!?! Are you kidding? Look at the melt down last year and almost managed .500, this year our guys are definitely playing better and we've got a couple still very winnable games. We knew Missouri was a very good team (hence their #4 ranking) and that we are rebuilding, just because we lost to them doesn't really mean too much.

I also disagree with not playing Ganz, in my opinion you play whoever gives you the best chance of winning RIGHT NOW, not 2-3 years down the road.

Also to the people above that said we're running the ball too much, I'm totally with you on that on. 35 carries for 79 yards or w/e it was, come on. And the game before for 55 yards, just throw the damn ball!

We seemed to move the ball well in our 2 min drill. Maybe we should go no-huddle.

As crazy as that sounds, it has crossed my mind a few times the last couple of years. It seems like against good teams that the only time we can move the ball is at the end of the first half or end of the game. Hell, it would be worth a shot.

WHAAAATT?!?! Are you kidding? Look at the melt down last year and almost managed .500, this year our guys are definitely playing better and we've got a couple still very winnable games. We knew Missouri was a very good team (hence their #4 ranking) and that we are rebuilding, just because we lost to them doesn't really mean too much.

I also disagree with not playing Ganz, in my opinion you play whoever gives you the best chance of winning RIGHT NOW, not 2-3 years down the road.

Also to the people above that said we're running the ball too much, I'm totally with you on that on. 35 carries for 79 yards or w/e it was, come on. And the game before for 55 yards, just throw the damn ball!

Mark my words --- the Huskers will be 6-6 or, at best 7-5 both this year and next. And the reason for the record being that good is the non-conference patsies. There is no way the Huskers this year or next will be .500 in conference. No way. This is not because this is what I want, mind you! I love the Huskers --- but they will be below .500 in conference and maybe .500 on the year this year (and likely next --- especially if they do not play the youth, including at QB now --- if they play the youth now, then next year may be above .500, otherwise no).

Not playing the youth now just sets us back a year. I would rather that not be the case. Suck it up now and play for the future.