Damon Benning take on Missouri game

Benning is on 1620 right now. He said he has watched the game about a dozen times and cannot make sense out of what Nebraska was trying to do on offense. He says the blocking schemes would not work for runnning the ball. He also points out the one pass play where Nebraska had the WRs lined up on the left and Ganz rolls out to the right which automatically handicapped himself. He says the team needs to get back to basics on both sides of the ball.

Benning is on 1620 right now. He said he has watched the game about a dozen times and cannot make sense out of what Nebraska was trying to do on offense. He says the blocking schemes would not work for runnning the ball. He also points out the one pass play where Nebraska had the WRs lined up on the left and Ganz rolls out to the right which automatically handicapped himself. He says the team needs to get back to basics on both sides of the ball.

Don't know about the blocking schemes much beyond being physically overmatched on the line and without a single all-conference caliber running back, but one reason you line up your WRs on one side and roll out to the opposite side is to fool the linebackers and possibly hit a tight end or running back on your roll-out side.

Benning may be remembering the days when Nebraska QBs weren't allowed much improvising in the passing game, and ran a few very simple plays for guys who weren't comfortable looking off receivers and simply threw at the targeted receiver whether he was open or not.

I think we've tried to trick and fool all the defenses we've seen. It isn't working real well obviously. They do need to get back to the basics, find a rhythm and run the ball first and foremost. That play calling and trying to out smart someone is just rediculous and makes us look that way too. This team has more talent then is being portraid. The offensive game plan and play calling is killing us. I hate to swear at anyone here but "callaclown" was a better play caller. That is friggin sad.

So.....uhm.....nobody thinks the defense is a bigger problem than the offense?

Is this just because people are venting but don't want to vent at Bo? Yet?

That is an interesting question. I'd guess that everyone now knows w/o question that the defense has major talent issues. Now people are pointing out that the offense does too --- despite what some early on thought would be a strength.

Before the season began, I really questioned whether the offense was that good. basically, the O last year got their bigger numbers in blowout losses and against scurbs and whan the games were already decided and the opposition was already celebrating rather than being concerned over some late NU scores.

All last year with one exception, the NU O struggled against decent defenses. No different this year either.

Benning may be remembering the days when Nebraska QBs weren't allowed much improvising in the passing game, and ran a few very simple plays for guys who weren't comfortable looking off receivers and simply threw at the targeted receiver whether he was open or not.

I didn't see Ganz looking anyone off on saturday...

Kind of hard to do when your running for your life... :clap

I have to agree that we need to get back to basics here and quit trying to fool the defenses we are going up against. The only thing we are fooling are ourselves and we are getting nowhere in the process. <_<

:yeah

As BC would have told you, "This is way too complicated for you Sand Hillbillies to understand". :clap''

Footnote to Moderator: We definitely are in need of an avatar of a hillbilly (smoking his pipe?) on this board, thanks to BC. Get the boys in production on that, will you?

So.....uhm.....nobody thinks the defense is a bigger problem than the offense?

Is this just because people are venting but don't want to vent at Bo? Yet?

I think that most folks were so depressed by the defense last year, that the expectations weren't too high. Conversely, the expectations for the offense were high - thus, the greater disappointment and questions.

In addition, there has been some improvement on the defense. If nothing else, we aren't seeing the lack of effort that we saw last year.