Something to think about - players reading message boards

:boxosoap

I'm so sick and tired of people calling 18-21 year olds KIDS! They are grown men. Maybe that is why they play so God-awful whenever they line up against someone who maybe bigger and better then them! We are the only BCS team other then Duke to not win a game vs a top 20 team since 2001!

We baby them and baby them, calling them kids, saying that these poor kids can't handle the criticism. You know what, it was only 7 years ago that I was 20, and I sure as heck could have handled being called out for not playing well. It would have motivated me to work my butt off to shut everyone up! I refuse to think that our football players become demoralized and go cry themselves to sleep because someone on a message board said to learn how to block or tackle.

And if they do, they need to suck it up and be men. Men bear criticism, work harder, to shut that person up! Believe it or not, these "kids" are adults, who have the right to enlist in the Armed Forces, buy tobacco, and some, alcohol. We have to stop babying them and think we are hurting their feelings too much!

:rant

Maybe we can all stand outside of Memorial stadium after a huge embarrassing loss and give them hugs and tell them everything is going to be okay?? These guys are adults and if they cannot handle some fans sharing their opinion about a football game, maybe they should look at themselves and grow up a little.

What do you propose we do about the news stations (local and national) who are suggesting that some players are not doing their jobs or that a coach needs to be fired?

No. No, we should not do that. That would be a mistake on one end of the continuum that few if any would advocate we approach. The problem lies at the other end of the continuum where we, on this board call out by name and ridicule, impugn and tear apart individual players. That is not the right thing to do irrespective of the ability of the 18-20 year old to "take it." Expressing displeasure with the team, certainly is a reasonable thing. To call out an individual by name is not.

Think for a moment of what it would be like as a CB to line man-to-man with a guy who may burn you --- in front of millions of fans (thousands in the stands and millions watching or listening by TV or radio). And, if you get burned, the radio shows and the websites (like this one) go off on you like you are Satan if you get beat (or worse still, beat repeatedly). Touchdown Tommie, have you ever faced such pressure? And if so, were you 19 years old?

No, what these kids are doing, wearing the red N on their helmet is a very, very high pressure thing --- we need to cut them slack. If the opposition is bigger, faster, deeper, has a more developed system, and is superior (as most of our competition is) then our expectations need to be tempered. And we support them in all things (except unsportsmanlike behavior or lack of effort).

Actually, yes I do. I played college football brother....was it in front of 80,000 fans? No, and that should not matter. Everyone knows, whether it is 1,000 fans or 80,000 fans who got beat and who is not doing their job. but as an athlete, you better be able to take ridicule when it comes your way. As it was stated, if they are going to take praise, they better be able to handle fan's or coach's negative comments as well.

Touchdown Tommie:

As an ex-player you should have insights that others of us do not (I did not play at the collegiate level --- I did play baseball in college but not football). The young men do need to learn to take crap --- sure. But that does not mean we should give it. That is, we should be as positive as we can be and when criticism is done we should do it in a responsible way (I violate that myself at times). These kids, or adults, or whatever we call them --- the players --- they need our support. Without it it is tough to continue to grow.

I think the fans need to rally our players onto playing better.

Maybe we can all stand outside of Memorial stadium after a huge embarrassing loss and give them hugs and tell them everything is going to be okay?? These guys are adults and if they cannot handle some fans sharing their opinion about a football game, maybe they should look at themselves and grow up a little.

What do you propose we do about the news stations (local and national) who are suggesting that some players are not doing their jobs or that a coach needs to be fired?

No. No, we should not do that. That would be a mistake on one end of the continuum that few if any would advocate we approach. The problem lies at the other end of the continuum where we, on this board call out by name and ridicule, impugn and tear apart individual players. That is not the right thing to do irrespective of the ability of the 18-20 year old to "take it." Expressing displeasure with the team, certainly is a reasonable thing. To call out an individual by name is not.

Think for a moment of what it would be like as a CB to line man-to-man with a guy who may burn you --- in front of millions of fans (thousands in the stands and millions watching or listening by TV or radio). And, if you get burned, the radio shows and the websites (like this one) go off on you like you are Satan if you get beat (or worse still, beat repeatedly). Touchdown Tommie, have you ever faced such pressure? And if so, were you 19 years old?

No, what these kids are doing, wearing the red N on their helmet is a very, very high pressure thing --- we need to cut them slack. If the opposition is bigger, faster, deeper, has a more developed system, and is superior (as most of our competition is) then our expectations need to be tempered. And we support them in all things (except unsportsmanlike behavior or lack of effort).

Actually, yes I do. I played college football brother....was it in front of 80,000 fans? No, and that should not matter. Everyone knows, whether it is 1,000 fans or 80,000 fans who got beat and who is not doing their job. but as an athlete, you better be able to take ridicule when it comes your way. As it was stated, if they are going to take praise, they better be able to handle fan's or coach's negative comments as well.

Touchdown Tommie:

As an ex-player you should have insights that others of us do not (I did not play at the collegiate level --- I did play baseball in college but not football). The young men do need to learn to take crap --- sure. But that does not mean we should give it. That is, we should be as positive as we can be and when criticism is done we should do it in a responsible way (I violate that myself at times). These kids, or adults, or whatever we call them --- the players --- they need our support. Without it it is tough to continue to grow.

I think the fans need to rally our players onto playing better.

I do support the players. And being a former player whose team went from Conference champs to the bottom of the conference the following year, my teammates and I heard so much crap from outsiders and former players. It was up to US and our coaches to ignore them and play our game. I am there to point out the positives of this team when they are there. In the end, GOOOOOOOOO BIIIIIIIIGGGGGG RRRREEEEEDDDDD!!!

I heard this on the pregame radio intro Saturday afternoon (Matt Davison?). He said the players actually do have time to read what is being posted on message boards despite what the coaches do to try and have them focus on what they are are trying to get across to them on the practice field and film room.

If this is true...and let's make an assumption it IS true...shouldn't the posts calling out individual players be framed differently? Or maybe our posts be a little more motivational? How do we address 18 - 21 year old student athletes in the way we post.

Food for thought.

VERY important to be careful what you post on message boards. Not only players can read message boards, but also coaches and the media can read these as well.

The Marine Corps, Army, Navy and Air Force make men of 18 year old kids and they normally do it in less than 6 months. Men willing to die for this country and trust me they take more crap in a day than these kids take in 4 years. They claim to be gladiators, but more like video game players according to some of the thinking on this board.

This is a joke. Man up and quit whining. And quit worrying about their delicate feelings. I doubt many have them any way. Most of them are just as upset about their performance as we are. They will get it right and there really is nothing any of us can do to help or hinder.

***cutting out the OP what not ***

VERY important to be careful what you post on message boards. Not only players can read message boards, but also coaches and the media can read these as well.

Well hell.. the media (writers) peck on our discussions & fun facts for input. I seriously doubt they are going door to door for opinions and views. The heartbeat has to come from some source.

And that "some source" is not from OLDMAN.

It's from HUSKERBOARD!!! BOOYAH!!!

:)