Shatels's column

Colfax

"Here's a thought: If the Huskers can't run the ball, why not turn Ganz loose and let him chuck it the rest of the season? Give them something they can execute.

It may sound crazy. But, like the caddy said, what do you think you look like now? "

I cannot believe this man wrote this. This suggestion is stupid and reeks of a "give up attitude" that borders on cowardly. This is not Nebraska football nor what the passion "of and for" Nebraska football is about.

This is an experienced sportswriter for the largest newspaper in the state. Unbelieveable, bordering on unforgiveable. An apology to the team, the coaches, and the fans, is in order. WE NEVER SURRENDER OUR DREAMS. WE ARE NEBRASKA.

What's wrong with that thought? Can't run the ball, why not try and spread people out and stretch the field with the pass? Makes sense to me. Or we could try and beat the dead horse that is the running game and maybe, just maybe, by the 11th or 12th game we might see a solid performance. Who knows.

What's wrong with that thought? Can't run the ball, why not try and spread people out and stretch the field with the pass? Makes sense to me. Or we could try and beat the dead horse that is the running game and maybe, just maybe, by the 11th or 12th game we might see a solid performance. Who knows.

:yeah

I agree. If the players can't get the running game going, then go with something that does work and if that means having Ganz throw the ball the entire game, so be it.

I agree. If the players can't get the running game going, then go with something that does work and if that means having Ganz throw the ball the entire game, so be it.

I agree too, however, I don't like that Ganz gets turnover happy when he throws alot. TT scored off of 4 turnovers in the last debacle...we definately don't need to give them the same opportunity again.

I agree too, however, I don't like that Ganz gets turnover happy when he throws alot. TT scored off of 4 turnovers in the last debacle...we definately don't need to give them the same opportunity again.

werent those 4 off beau davis? i think ganz is a little more solid then that. but yes. ive been trying to say this all year. gun it out. when we go into 2 minute spread we litterally coast the ball down the field as it seems effortlessly. does anyone know what kind of defense tech runs? i havent really scouted this game at all as there seemed no point.

Here is the article in full. I say hit the big dog down the middle (aka: I agree).

linky dinky

Huskers should just tee it up and let 'er rip

Published Saturday, Oct. 11, 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nebraska heads for the wide open plains of west Texas today, so naturally, I'm thinking about one of my favorite sports movies, "Tin Cup."

The movie takes place in the fictional dust town of Salome, Texas. It's where you find Roy McAvoy, the career gambler/golf hustler/driving range pro who is neither disciplined nor motivated enough to make it big.

That's not why Nebraska football reminds me of the movie.

There's a scene midway through "Tin Cup" where McAvoy has the shanks. He's on the range at the U.S. Open, next to all the big-shot pros. You know, Billy Mayfair, all those guys. He starts hitting ground ball shots, sideways, down the range. Golfers next to him are jumping out of the way of his wild shanks.

Finally, his caddie, Romeo, tells him to take the change from his pocket and move it to the other pocket. Next, tie the laces on both of his shoes together. Finally, turn his visor around backwards.

McAvoy says, "I look like an idiot."

Romeo says, "Well, what do you think you look like shanking the ball?"

McAvoy drills one down the middle. He says, "What happened?"

Romeo says, "You were thinking about how ridiculous you looked and not about the shanks."

THAT'S Nebraska football as it heads into the west Texas pirate's lair of Mad Mike Leach.

The Huskers are 3-2. They've won three games against teams designed to help them qualify for a bowl. They've lost the last two against Virginia Tech and Missouri.

In those last two games, Nebraska can't run the ball, can't block, can't get to the quarterback, tackle or defend the pass. The Huskers aren't executing. They have 46 penalties in five games, for 74 yards per game. That, as they say, is a lot.

You hear that these things are happening because the Huskers are trying too hard, playing more aggressive. They are learning new schemes. Coach Bo Pelini says his team is not undisciplined. Well, it's certainly not disciplined, either.

The Big Red, plain and simple, has the shanks.

The Huskers are thinking more than playing. They don't know where to go or what to do when they get there. They're playing hard, but not necessarily smart.

Mostly, they don't have a lot of confidence.

And that's the irony here. Pelini is one of the most confident chaps you'll ever meet. But now he's coaching an unconfident team. And he doesn't know what to do about it.

If anything has surprised him about the Nebraska job, it's been this part of the transition. How does he get that confidence to rub off on everyone else?

"I knew it wasn't going to be easy," Pelini said. "We need to execute. We need to take the things we're doing on the practice field, our teachings, and transfer it to the heat of the battle."

After the Virginia Tech game, a Nebraska assistant said he was shocked when, halfway through the game, some NU players told him, "Hey, we can play with these guys." The coach said, "No kidding."

Folks, Nebraska is not as bad as it has played. This team needs something good to happen to it.

Of course, today might be the wrong day for that to happen.

Still, if this team is going to survive the second half of the season, it needs to change its approach, find something it can execute, and go from there.

Two suggestions:

1. Pelini admitted his defensive scheme against Missouri was flawed because his team couldn't execute it. Maybe the coach got a little caught up in the moment and forgot he's not coaching Glenn Dorsey anymore. Pelini needs to find something his defense can execute. Something to build confidence.

2. Same with the offense. This group hasn't done anything particularly well. Funny, but many of these same players were on the field last November, when NU scored 39, 31 and 51 points in the last three games.

What was the difference? Earlier this week, Joe Ganz said it was because lame duck coach Bill Callahan decided to air it out. In those three games, Ganz attempted 50, 40 and 58 passes. He said he got in a rhythm. Offensive coordinator Shawn Watson hasn't stayed with anything long enough for anybody to have any rhythm.

Here's a thought: If the Huskers can't run the ball, why not turn Ganz loose and let him chuck it the rest of the season? Give them something they can execute.

It may sound crazy. But, like the caddy said, what do you think you look like now?

"Here's a thought: If the Huskers can't run the ball, why not turn Ganz loose and let him chuck it the rest of the season? Give them something they can execute.

It may sound crazy. But, like the caddy said, what do you think you look like now? "

I cannot believe this man wrote this. This suggestion is stupid and reeks of a "give up attitude" that borders on cowardly. This is not Nebraska football nor what the passion "of and for" Nebraska football is about.

This is an experienced sportswriter for the largest newspaper in the state. Unbelieveable, bordering on unforgiveable. An apology to the team, the coaches, and the fans, is in order. WE NEVER SURRENDER OUR DREAMS. WE ARE NEBRASKA.

i don't care if we throw it 60 times a game as long as we score some point and win some games...if we spread the defense out we might be able to give the running backs some running room. look at what mizzou did to us by spreading us out and then they ran the ball al over us

Its a good idea for this season, especially against top tier teams. I still think we need to run the ball on Baylor, ISU, and KSU. We have to form that identity if that is what we want in a team. You can't form that identity on the practice field, the players won't believe they can do it until they do it against familiar foes over and over again in games. That is what builds confidence.

I don't think that we need to necessarily throw the ball 50 times a game, I think what is really missing is just a THREAT of a deep passing game. How many times all year have we just let the ball go on a 9 route? I can't really think of any...No wonder we cant run the ball, defenses are able to have a constant eye in the backfield because they aren't worried about giving up a 40+ yard pass play..just my opinion though

I agree with this theory. We can't run the ball for jack, too many lineman stand around watching five defenders swarm Marlon or whomever may be back there. Plus this team for some reason when pressing urgency functions oddly well, think 4th quarter vs Va Tech, and numerous two-minute drills this year and last.

Secondly everyone said that we couldn't get in a shootout against Mizzou and Tech and I personally think that was going to be the only way we could have won. Time of possession, first downs, and #of plays ran are the most overrated stats in the game. I think the gun slinger mentality would bear better fruits than grind it out run the ball style against these teams. The potential to score just seemed more realistic to me this way, than running the ball and "time control offense" for five minutes a drive that at most would probably produce a mid field punt or a Henery field goal. Now if we WERE able to run the ball, my thoughts would probably be different.

GO BIG RED anyways.