What happens when...

I noticed that the ISU game is going to be on VS this week, which i'm stoked about. Even more stoked when I found out the Baylor game will be on as well.

This lead me to think about something...

I know a fair cross section of this board is in the 25 - 45 age range. When we were kids, it seemed that we'd only get to see the Huskers play twice a year (OU and the bowl game) and maybe three times if we were lucky.

Now, in the past half dozen years, we've definitely been spoiled with the amount of games we see each year.

When I was stationed in germany, i had to wait till 4 or so on sunday morning to find out the score.

your thoughts....

Put it this way. When we were kids (I'm 33) there were what....15-20 bowl games? Now you can get in with a 6-6 record. Something like 40+ bowl games??? Just more media/promotion outlets realizing that they can make a little coin. The tradition/history/fanbase has nothing to do with it. Proof? Pretty sure I was seeing highlights of an SMU game not too long ago on Versus.

Here's a comparison. When you were a 'kid' how many channels were on 'basic cable'? I think that ours in Iowa maxed out around 24 (and 24 was Skinnemax) when I was in Jr. High. Now (still in Iowa dammit) I have 70 on 'basic'. Just some food for thought.

Put it this way. When we were kids (I'm 33) there were what....15-20 bowl games? Now you can get in with a 6-6 record. Something like 40+ bowl games??? Just more media/promotion outlets realizing that they can make a little coin. The tradition/history/fanbase has nothing to do with it. Proof? Pretty sure I was seeing highlights of an SMU game not too long ago on Versus.

Here's a comparison. When you were a 'kid' how many channels were on 'basic cable'? Just some food for thought.

Another good point, now that there's a billion channels (with generally nothing good on), our chances to be able to watch the game have increased significantly.

I'm 35, so i know where you're coming from. On a saturday, we were lucky to be able to watch maybe 7 or 8 games, where now you can see almost half the games being played.

Here's a comparison. When you were a 'kid' how many channels were on 'basic cable'? Just some food for thought.

Another good point, now that there's a billion channels (with generally nothing good on), our chances to be able to watch the game have increased significantly.

I'm 35, so i know where you're coming from. On a saturday, we were lucky to be able to watch maybe 7 or 8 games, where now you can see almost half the games being played.

You mean 7-8 games total...in a day...for the entire NCAA matchups. Right? 7-8 on TV now is what you get for one team in a season minimum unless your Idaho. Of course check with Cox/Mediacom or whoever the cable provider is up there and I'm sure they have a Chevy Silverado and a Digi-Cam they can send to at least every home game....

You mean 7-8 games total...in a day...for the entire NCAA matchups. Right? 7-8 on TV now is what you get for one team in a season minimum unless your Idaho. Of course check with Cox/Mediacom or whoever the cable provider is up there and I'm sure they have a Chevy Silverado and a Digi-Cam they can send to at least every home game....

yeah 7-8 games for that day...

yeah 7-8 games for that day...

I still remember in Jr. High/High School setting up 2-3 TV's on Jan 1st and watching all the bowl games at the same time. That was the best!!!

We're the only ones talking to each other. You're working...I'm...well....not sleeping. Other inputs?!?!

I`ll never forget playing a game of football with kids in the neighborhood...then when the game started, turning the radio on and listening to Lyle Bremser doing play-by-play while laying in a pile of leaves on a crisp fall afternoon....those were the days.....O to be young again...

Lyle...you were one of the greatest...

I remember when I first moved to Nebraska I was totally shocked that every Husker game didnt come on tv, especially in Lincoln. But thats just because growin up in Dallas I was used to being able to see EVERY Dallas Cowboys,Mavericks,Stars and Texas Rangers game on tv. And the Longhorns to it seemed like just about every game was on, so I guess I was just spoiled. But I still believe that a hometown/homestate/homeregion should carry EVERY game on tv! college and pro both, I know its easier said than done but it COULD be done.

I'm not an ND hater, but Notre Dame and the contract with NBC started it all.....

Actually, it started with the lawsuit by Oklahoma and Georgia against the NCAA that allowed individual teams and conferences to enter into contracts with the networks. Prior to that (which occurred in the early '80s, as I recall) the NCAA negotiated the TV contracts and strictly limited the number of games. Between that lawsuit, ESPN, and the proliferation of TV stations through cable, we now have almost unlimited viewing options.

I'm not an ND hater, but Notre Dame and the contract with NBC started it all.....

Actually, it started with the lawsuit by Oklahoma and Georgia against the NCAA that allowed individual teams and conferences to enter into contracts with the networks. Prior to that (which occurred in the early '80s, as I recall) the NCAA negotiated the TV contracts and strictly limited the number of games. Between that lawsuit, ESPN, and the proliferation of TV stations through cable, we now have almost unlimited viewing options.

booyah! he lawyered on your a$$!!!!

whatever that means.