State of Nebraska Football

mwj98

Good post but im kinda suprised as to why this is comming up now. As we all know last year was horrid. Was hard to watch some of those games. Some days it was even harder to wear the colors. But thats what happens when you have a team go down the tubes like that. We are on the rise and we are getting better. Are we NC material right now. No. Are we big 12 material. No. Are we able to play competative each week and play with the best of our abilities. Yes. A team is only as good as its leader. We didnt have a good leader the past 4 years and thats what we half to accept. The cubbord might be full of talent but uncoached tallent is like having a unexperienced driver driveing a 9 second drag car. Ultimately this is what we have. So if we half to do spread offence, tons of short passes. A minute running game until our coach can build up his own players to what he sees fit. This was never a undefeated season so ill take what i can get. Weve hung in there with some of the best of the best this year. Hang in there husker nation, things can get better from here. And yes we were spoiled so now its time for us to understand what its like to be the bottom feeders. But we wont be here long.

Ben

Good post but I'm kinda surprised as to why this is coming up now. As we all know last year was horrid. Was hard to watch some of those games. Some days it was even harder to wear the colors. But that's what happens when you have a team go down the tubes like that. We are on the rise and we are getting better. Are we NC material right now. No. Are we big 12 material. No. Are we able to play competitive each week and play with the best of our abilities. Yes. A team is only as good as its leader. We didn't have a good leader the past 4 years and that's what we half to accept. The cupboard might be full of talent but uncoached talent is like having a inexperienced driver driving a 9 second drag car. Ultimately this is what we have. So if we half to do spread offence, tons of short passes. A minute running game until our coach can build up his own players to what he sees fit. This was never a undefeated season so ill take what i can get. We've hung in there with some of the best of the best this year. Hang in there husker nation, things can get better from here. And yes we were spoiled so now its time for us to understand what its like to be the bottom feeders. But we wont be here long.

Ben

dude, try spell check, it works great!

Good post, way to support the team. I especially like your resolution to not bash our team.

I do have to say...I am one of very very very few it seems who likes our offense. Its not only exciting to watch, but we put points on the board. I agree we need a better running game, but the great thing is we can actually MAKE 3rd and longs nowdays. I wish we were a little more spread rather than west coast, but I think the mixture lately has been fairly good.

My thoughts anyway

Whoever said defense matters more is spot on. Show me a defense that's in the top 10 nationally, and I'll show you a team that's in every game, and easily the top 25.

That said, the main reason we were in a position to beat the Red Raiders was because of the solid running game and getting so many first downs. We kept the ball away from the Mad Scientist, and there was nothing he could do.

It's good to have a passing game (Ganz is doing great), but it seems we're competitive when we establish a running attack. This was the case vs. Texas last year and Texas Tech this year.

Good post but I'm kinda surprised as to why this is coming up now. As we all know last year was horrid. Was hard to watch some of those games. Some days it was even harder to wear the colors. But that's what happens when you have a team go down the tubes like that. We are on the rise and we are getting better. Are we NC material right now. No. Are we big 12 material. No. Are we able to play competitive each week and play with the best of our abilities. Yes. A team is only as good as its leader. We didn't have a good leader the past 4 years and that's what we half to accept. The cupboard might be full of talent but uncoached talent is like having a inexperienced driver driving a 9 second drag car. Ultimately this is what we have. So if we half to do spread offence, tons of short passes. A minute running game until our coach can build up his own players to what he sees fit. This was never a undefeated season so ill take what i can get. We've hung in there with some of the best of the best this year. Hang in there husker nation, things can get better from here. And yes we were spoiled so now its time for us to understand what its like to be the bottom feeders. But we wont be here long.

Ben

alright dude i played your game. I ran spell checker and it came up with 3 errors. What the hell are you complaning about.

Ben

alright dude i played your game. I ran spell checker and it came up with 3 errors. What the hell are you complaning about.

I have to say I have never seen a board that complained about grammar and spelling so much. I'm not trying to bash the board here.... but its just a message board. no ones getting graded on their posts.

by the way its complaining

All this "damn passing" is all the offense we have been putting out there...there is no run game. For now your stuck with a Husker team that throws the ball...

:bang ugh. who wants an offense that can score quickly in a pinch? 2 minute drills in crunch time by running it up the gut...oh yeah!

It seems to me that the national pundits were saying the same thing about the option attack a few years back. Look at G Tech now 6-2. Power football will never die, the "power" will evolve, but don't kid yourself for one minute that a power running attack won't give any "elite" defense fits. :)

Paul Johnson.

'nuff said?

Okay post I guess. Except we don't have the players to have a "smash mouth" offense. Remember during the beginning of the season when we tried lining up with power formations? How did that work out again? Oh yeah, that's right:

Hand off to Lucky and Lucky runs into the back of an offensive lineman and goes down. Zero yard gain...

If we line up with power formations, the other team is going to stack the box and shut down the run. Just as the teams during the first five games did.

The first time our offense showed sparks was when they ditched the power formations and spread the field a little more. This opened up the run game alot, and this is the type of offense that works for Nebraska right now. Short passes, runs, some option, screens, and some intermediate passing.

Even if it isn't your ideal offense you would like to see, at least it works, puts points on the board, and gives Nebraska a chance to win. I would rather see this than a failing smash mouth offense trying to be implemented just for the sake of reminiscing.

Okay post I guess. Except we don't have the players to have a "smash mouth" offense. Remember during the beginning of the season when we tried lining up with power formations? How did that work out again? Oh yeah, that's right:

Hand off to Lucky and Lucky runs into the back of an offensive lineman and goes down. Zero yard gain...

If we line up with power formations, the other team is going to stack the box and shut down the run. Just as the teams during the first five games did.

The first time our offense showed sparks was when they ditched the power formations and spread the field a little more. This opened up the run game alot, and this is the type of offense that works for Nebraska right now. Short passes, runs, some option, screens, and some intermediate passing.

Even if it isn't your ideal offense you would like to see, at least it works, puts points on the board, and gives Nebraska a chance to win. I would rather see this than a failing smash mouth offense trying to be implemented just for the sake of reminiscing.

:clap:yeah:clap

Look, every good team - at any level - develops some kind of power look for particular situations, right now we simply don't have the personnel to be terribly effective that way, so we have to extend the running game in short yardage situations with naked boots, screens etc. Watson is simply playing the hand he was dealt. I can gaurantee we will get there in time though.