Nebraska's Chance for a bowl game...

I could care less about a bowl game right now I would like to see this team win out the rest of it's schedule and make more improvement on D. If Baylor's QB doesn't get hurt we are probably talking about "How did we lose to Baylor". I can see NU beating CU,KSU because I do feel those programs are in much worse shape and a 50/50 shot at KU because it appears Mangino's all you can eat buffet is starting to run out of food.

If the boys can play like they did against TT and control the clock and finish off drives with TD's they have a real shot because OU's D is almost as bad as NU's right now.

GBR

Not sure what Baylor game you watched, but we handled him well enough to win easily, healthy or not.

I could care less about a bowl game right now I would like to see this team win out the rest of it's schedule and make more improvement on D.

***SNIP***

While bowl speculation is putting the cart before the horse, and I see your point about seeking continued improvement each game, I think everyone would agree that if we could go bowling it would help immensly with the additonal reps and an extra game - not to mention recruiting.

Plus, after last year, the fans are dying for a bowl. So, the speculation is understandable.

I could care less about a bowl game right now I would like to see this team win out the rest of it's schedule and make more improvement on D. If Baylor's QB doesn't get hurt we are probably talking about "How did we lose to Baylor". I can see NU beating CU,KSU because I do feel those programs are in much worse shape and a 50/50 shot at KU because it appears Mangino's all you can eat buffet is starting to run out of food.

If the boys can play like they did against TT and control the clock and finish off drives with TD's they have a real shot because OU's D is almost as bad as NU's right now.

GBR

Not sure what Baylor game you watched, but we handled him well enough to win easily, healthy or not.

It was the game where NU was losing at halftime and griffin's ankle injury late in the 2nd or early in the third took away his mobility which there was no answer for before the injury. The injury made them one dimensional and passing without the threat of the run enabled NU's D to focus on baylor's below average pass attack. Look at the stats most of their yardage came before griffin got hurt. That was the game I watched.

GBR

again thats part of running with your QB... take the good with the bad. and you dont hear us talking about hurt players affecting the outcome. AND he still played... he wasnt hurt that bad. the better team won the game.

The Big 12 will have 7-8 teams in bowls this year, depending on if 1 or 2 Big 12 teams get BCS bids.

These teams are already bowl-eligible:

Texas

Oklahoma

Texas Tech

Missouri

Oklahoma State

Those are five of our bowl teams. The Big 12 will have two (or maybe three) more bowl slots available.

These teams need one more win to be bowl-eligible:

Nebraska

Kansas

These teams need two more wins to be bowl-eligible:

Colorado

Kansas State

Even just needing one more win, if Kansas loses to Kansas State this weekend, they have a tough road to even get to six wins, finishing out against the Huskers (in Lincoln), Texas and Missouri.

Kansas State needs two wins and finishes against Kansas, Mizzou, Nebraska, and Iowa State. If they beat Kansas they have a good shot at six wins, but probably not any more.

Colorado needs two more wins and finishes against A&M, ISU, OSU, and Nebraska. They will probably end with six wins.

So out of the four teams fighting for the last two (or three) Big 12 bowl slots, none are likely to finish any better than 7 wins, and only one may even get to 7 wins. Even if we assume Kansas gets to 7, if the Huskers are tied at six wins with Colorado and Kansas State and there is only one bowl slot remaining, we would get the invitation over those teams IMO because our ability to fill seats would be more predictable to a lesser bowl than CU or KSU. (And remember, there may be three bowl slots left depending on the BCS bids which would leave room for CU or KSU if they get to six.)

I think we'll finish with more than six wins, but six is all we'll need to go bowling.

GBR

It was the game where NU was losing at halftime and griffin's ankle injury late in the 2nd or early in the third took away his mobility which there was no answer for before the injury. The injury made them one dimensional and passing without the threat of the run enabled NU's D to focus on baylor's below average pass attack. Look at the stats most of their yardage came before griffin got hurt. That was the game I watched.

It couldn't have been halftime adjustments as to why we beat them as well huh? It's always gotta be something happening to someone else that allowed us to win? :blink:

I could care less about a bowl game right now I would like to see this team win out the rest of it's schedule and make more improvement on D.

***SNIP***

While bowl speculation is putting the cart before the horse, and I see your point about seeking continued improvement each game, I think everyone would agree that if we could go bowling it would help immensly with the additonal reps and an extra game - not to mention recruiting.

Plus, after last year, the fans are dying for a bowl. So, the speculation is understandable.

I see where you are coming from. I guess what I should have said was I have an entirely different view of the " bowl system" as I did say 20 years ago and to me it has much less meaning than it used to and if you are not playing in the BS yes I said BS series of bowl games it loses it's luster. I am more excited to see NU's improvement week to week and if it affords the team a bowl game great and if not I can live with it as long as the program is headed in the right direction (which I believe it is).

GBR

It couldn't have been halftime adjustments as to why we beat them as well huh? It's always gotta be something happening to someone else that allowed us to win? :blink:

Fellas I am just giving my take on the game and how the outcome was affected by an injury of a QB that was gashing NU before the injury which in turn was allowing other players on BU to make plays. Once he was injured NU didn't have to worry about the running threat. If you feel that it was halftime adjustments that dictated the outcome fine then we agree to disagree. But are you all seriously saying if griffin doesn't go gimpy they don't score and move the ball anymore?

The Big 12 will have 7-8 teams in bowls this year, depending on if 1 or 2 Big 12 teams get BCS bids.

These teams are already bowl-eligible:

Texas

Oklahoma

Texas Tech

Missouri

Oklahoma State

Those are five of our bowl teams. The Big 12 will have two (or maybe three) more bowl slots available.

These teams need one more win to be bowl-eligible:

Nebraska

Kansas

These teams need two more wins to be bowl-eligible:

Colorado

Kansas State

Even just needing one more win, if Kansas loses to Kansas State this weekend, they have a tough road to even get to six wins, finishing out against the Huskers (in Lincoln), Texas and Missouri.

Kansas State needs two wins and finishes against Kansas, Mizzou, Nebraska, and Iowa State. If they beat Kansas they have a good shot at six wins, but probably not any more.

Colorado needs two more wins and finishes against A&M, ISU, OSU, and Nebraska. They will probably end with six wins.

So out of the four teams fighting for the last two (or three) Big 12 bowl slots, none are likely to finish any better than 7 wins, and only one may even get to 7 wins. Even if we assume Kansas gets to 7, if the Huskers are tied at six wins with Colorado and Kansas State and there is only one bowl slot remaining, we would get the invitation over those teams IMO because our ability to fill seats would be more predictable to a lesser bowl than CU or KSU. (And remember, there may be three bowl slots left depending on the BCS bids which would leave room for CU or KSU if they get to six.)

I think we'll finish with more than six wins, but six is all we'll need to go bowling.

Good informative post. I believe the big 12 gets two BCS teams, probably from the south, unless there is a big upset in the B12 championship game. So that could leave the Big 12 with 9 bowl invites. (2 BCS and the 7 tie-ins) That would be pretty impressive

GBR

Fellas I am just giving my take on the game and how the outcome was affected by an injury of a QB that was gashing NU before the injury which in turn was allowing other players on BU to make plays. Once he was injured NU didn't have to worry about the running threat. If you feel that it was halftime adjustments that dictated the outcome fine then we agree to disagree. But are you all seriously saying if griffin doesn't go gimpy they don't score and move the ball anymore?

eh, fair enough. I had a different take on it is all.

GBR

again thats part of running with your QB... take the good with the bad. and you dont hear us talking about hurt players affecting the outcome. AND he still played... he wasnt hurt that bad. the better team won the game.

I am not arguing that point and I understand it but from what you saw before he got hurt do you think the outcome would have been the same?

We get 6 wins, we go to a bowl...why you might ask? Because of money. Bowl committees know that Nebraska fans follow their team to the bowls and will spend money. An added bonus is that they see themselves as playing part in our comeback if we were to win. So, you can count on some bowl, even with only 6 wins.

Still think Nebraska is the center of the college football universe, don't you?

:yeah

"playing part in our comeback" has absolutely nothing to do with it.. they could care less. Why will we always get a bowl @ 6-6? Our fans travel like mad. Which of course means $$ for them. That's the only reason.

GBR

I am not arguing that point and I understand it but from what you saw before he got hurt do you think the outcome would have been the same?

i think so. what if he doesnt get hurt, but castille doesnt fumble on the 2? I think we still win either way. lots of ifs in every game, and we did win by 2 scores

I do know that Griffin is a great running QB. He pretty much carried the whole offense on his shoulders by taking off and running the ball. His passing isn't all that great (9 for 20; 134 yards), but that should technically improve with time.

Having your QB take off and run all the time keeps the defense on its toes. However, it also can get your QB injured more easily. I also believe that after a while, the Huskers focused only on Griffin and stopped him (you can argue we stopped him only because he was injured if you want). Once he was stopped, the Baylor offense was no more.

No matter the case, I thought the Huskers played okay. I didn't think the offense looked as sharp as it had the past two games and the defense blew alot of huge plays. Need to fix these things if we want to hang with Oklahoma.