Young Players and The Playbook

Was reading the thread about Mendoza and again heard the assumption that Nebraska doesn't play younger players because apparently the playbook is so hard to grasp. I see no other reason that Nebraska recruits can't contribute right away, when other teams play freshman all the time.

However, some teams that play freshman have a certain set of plays for certain freshman, the only time that player sees the field is when one of those plays is called. Why can't(doesn't) Nebraska do that? When we have play makers they need to be on the field!!! Right?

I think alot of teams play fresh men because they either HAVE to, or have made a kid promises they shiouldn't have.(cough....Arkansas....cough)

I really don't think a lot of our guys on offense are mentaly ready to start. Watson is very keen on ball control and balance, his type of O doesn't really lend itself to the type of shoot from the hip kind of gun slinging that some teams are forced to run. Can you say Alabama! Live by the sword, die by the sword!

Considering our offense is 15th in the country, is it really THAT big of a concern for you? I would much rather have the workhorse types we have now, than turning into a turnover prone unit that forcing players on the field who aren't ready. And even if they are, why burn eligibility for MAYBE 20 touches in a season! :dunno

Uh, because thats tipping your plays? If player "X" only plays on play "Y", then when X hits the field you're just telling the defense exactly what play your running. Seriously, if you can't grasp the same amount of plays that the regulars can grasp, then you don't deserve to see the field. Knowing the playbook is critical.

Uh, you can hand the other team the playbook and as long as you execute they can't stop you. If you have a feshman, say when niles paul was, You could start him out with 20 plays, each week you add a new play. You have something they haven't seen everyweek. When I was in High School we had 15 plays and we didn't have a problem moving the ball at all. EXECUTION is all that matters. There is absoultley NO REASON for a playbook to be the size of a new york city phone book, Watson has trimmed it, but IMO he hasn't trimmed it nearly enough.

Other teams play freshman ALL THE TIME, using the same scenario I just used, they give the player PART of the playbook not ALL of it. Those same freshman do pretty well, it doesn't matter that Team "X" thinks they know what the play is.

I think alot of teams play fresh men because they either HAVE to, or have made a kid promises they shiouldn't have.(cough....Arkansas....cough)

I really don't think a lot of our guys on offense are mentaly ready to start. Watson is very keen on ball control and balance, his type of O doesn't really lend itself to the type of shoot from the hip kind of gun slinging that some teams are forced to run. Can you say Alabama! Live by the sword, die by the sword!

Considering our offense is 15th in the country, is it really THAT big of a concern for you? I would much rather have the workhorse types we have now, than turning into a turnover prone unit that forcing players on the field who aren't ready. And even if they are, why burn eligibility for MAYBE 20 touches in a season! :dunno

No it's not THAT big of a concern. But with Menos injury and next year looming, It sure would be Nice if Niles had some more experience. I'm not saying play everybody, but SOME true freshman merit playing time, especially if you have them on ST.

2 things, first the players have to understand what they are doing to be on the field, the playbook can't be THAT hard to learn as there are freshmen who have seen time this year, the fact is that many high school kids simply don't understand HOW to learn a playbook, many high school playbooks are nothing more than a sheet or two of paper with a couple basic plays and the coaches let the playmakers just adjust and make things happen. Expecially players that are considered "elite."

2nd the stuff about Mendoza has nothing to do with learning the actual playbook, he is a HB, he knows the HB routes and responsibilities.. what they are talking about is him having to learn the Wide reciever routes and responsibilities, something he has not done because up till last week he hadn't played Wideout and if certain players had stepped up when Holt went out he wouldn't have to do so now.

I hope cody green is able to spend his whole next semester and summer studying and studying and studying that playbook. I think he may be our best bet at an awesome team (big 12 championship) in the near future (4+years). I want him to get lots of experience early.

the blackshirt bo-fense needs to improve first

Uh, because thats tipping your plays? If player "X" only plays on play "Y", then when X hits the field you're just telling the defense exactly what play your running. Seriously, if you can't grasp the same amount of plays that the regulars can grasp, then you don't deserve to see the field. Knowing the playbook is critical.

Uh, you can hand the other team the playbook and as long as you execute they can't stop you. If you have a feshman, say when niles paul was, You could start him out with 20 plays, each week you add a new play. You have something they haven't seen everyweek. When I was in High School we had 15 plays and we didn't have a problem moving the ball at all. EXECUTION is all that matters. There is absoultley NO REASON for a playbook to be the size of a new york city phone book, Watson has trimmed it, but IMO he hasn't trimmed it nearly enough.

Other teams play freshman ALL THE TIME, using the same scenario I just used, they give the player PART of the playbook not ALL of it. Those same freshman do pretty well, it doesn't matter that Team "X" thinks they know what the play is.

Yeah, okay...Theres some plays that no matter how well you execute, the defense can easily stop if they are positioned in the right place. You seriously can't argue that, there are some plays that you just are matched up horribly and the offense doesn't stand a chance.