more on Bo's behavior

From journalstar.com blog. Brings up some good points...

http://journalstar.com/blog/huskers.php?ti...p;tb=1&pb=1

There's been a lot of talk about Bo's sideline temper in recent game. I have to admit, I've thought Bo could take a break from barking at the officials now and then and concentrate on his team.

But then I have this question: How is Bo's sideline demeanor, particularly when it comes to dealing with officials, any different than a basketball coach running up and down the sideline and yelling at officials the whole game?

I know you don't see football coaches work officials as much as basketball coaches because of the higher number of influential calls in basketball ... but still, have you seen Doc Sadler during a game? I'd say it's very comparable to what we see from Bo. Yet it seems more acceptable ... maybe because he's a basketball coach? Doc's not the only one, either. Many basketball coaches look like "raging lunatics," a term I've heard used to describe Bo, but that seems almost like part of the game. (Granted, Bobby Knight took things to another level ...)

And yet, I don't see many football coaches do what Bo does. Why is that? Why do we see it from basketball coaches and managers but not football coaches? Just curious about your thoughts.

As for the previous blog about players talking/not talking. My two cents: I actually breathed a sigh of relief when told there were no interviews Saturday night, because I was on deadline and knew not fighting through hordes of people to hear Joe Ganz say "We didn't play well. We'll bounce back. It snowballed on us," would save me a good 20-30 minutes. (Just talking from my personal writer standpoint.) I know the rest of the J-Star crew felt much the same way. I don't have a problem with what Bo did, honestly.

That said, for those saying you don't care about hearing from players, and defending Bo ... I don't think the reaction would've been the same had Bill made players off limits after, say, the Oklahoma State game last year. Bill would've been crucified.

And what if Nebraska wins a thrilling double-overtime victory over Kansas this weekend, and Bo, for whatever reason, says "No" to player interviews? Would you be OK with that? I mean, if we don't care to hear from players ...

What happened Saturday personally doesn't bother me. Seriously. Sure, it makes writing a story harder. I won't deny that. But I don't see it being a long-term, common thing where Bo limits players. Doc did it once, if I recall. As writers, we adjust. Sometimes begrudgingly, but we adjust.

I'm not at all concerned about this becoming a regular problem. I'd be shocked. That's why I think there is too much being made of this. And I don't think Sipple was making a big deal of it, either. In fact, I know he wasn't.

If for some strange reason it does become a regular problem? We'll adjust with fewer stories, I'm guessing.

I thought journalists just used a little 'Handy Dandy Coach/Player Response Guide' when writing their sage articles since the interviews are mostly generic/redundant anyway. '...we play GOOD...we play BAD...', blah, blah. Just fill in the blank... dedhoarse

http://journalstar.com/blog/huskers.php?ti...p;tb=1&pb=1

By Brian Rosenthal

There's been a lot of talk about Bo's sideline temper in recent game. I have to admit, I've thought Bo could take a break from barking at the officials now and then and concentrate on his team.

So why blog about it then? Slow news week?

But then I have this question: How is Bo's sideline demeanor, particularly when it comes to dealing with officials, any different than a basketball coach running up and down the sideline and yelling at officials the whole game?

Seriously, you've never played sports. You're bringing up basketball as a reference?

I know you don't see football coaches work officials as much as basketball coaches because of the higher number of influential calls in basketball ... but still, have you seen Doc Sadler during a game? I'd say it's very comparable to what we see from Bo. Yet it seems more acceptable ... maybe because he's a basketball coach? Doc's not the only one, either. Many basketball coaches look like "raging lunatics," a term I've heard used to describe Bo, but that seems almost like part of the game. (Granted, Bobby Knight took things to another level ...)

Has anyone describe BP as a "raging lunatic"? Really? I mean, considering there are message boards and all, that kind of description would be well discussed. Sorry, but apparently the kind of insight this guy has is coming from his Uncle Bob.

And yet, I don't see many football coaches do what Bo does. Why is that? Why do we see it from basketball coaches and managers but not football coaches? Just curious about your thoughts.

Read a message board. Tons of input and thoughts are clearly there. Some like it, some dont. Move on.

As for the previous blog about players talking/not talking. My two cents: I actually breathed a sigh of relief when told there were no interviews Saturday night, because I was on deadline and knew not fighting through hordes of people to hear Joe Ganz say "We didn't play well. We'll bounce back. It snowballed on us," would save me a good 20-30 minutes. (Just talking from my personal writer standpoint.) I know the rest of the J-Star crew felt much the same way. I don't have a problem with what Bo did, honestly.

Blah, blah, blah. Does anyone have pity for you not having to do your reporting job?

That said, for those saying you don't care about hearing from players, and defending Bo ... I don't think the reaction would've been the same had Bill made players off limits after, say, the Oklahoma State game last year. Bill would've been crucified.

"Bill" lost control of the team, lost faith in fans, and loss games CONVINCINGLY. No pity for the fourth year man at helm. Pretty lame argument to make a comparison against any coach 9 games into his first season, mr blogger man.

And what if Nebraska wins a thrilling double-overtime victory over Kansas this weekend, and Bo, for whatever reason, says "No" to player interviews? Would you be OK with that? I mean, if we don't care to hear from players ...

What if you believed that people actually thought your "what if" scenarios should be considered among discussion?

What happened Saturday personally doesn't bother me. Seriously. Sure, it makes writing a story harder. I won't deny that. But I don't see it being a long-term, common thing where Bo limits players. Doc did it once, if I recall. As writers, we adjust. Sometimes begrudgingly, but we adjust.

How many times are you going to bring this up then? Obviously you do care.

I'm not at all concerned about this becoming a regular problem. I'd be shocked. That's why I think there is too much being made of this. And I don't think Sipple was making a big deal of it, either. In fact, I know he wasn't.

Should anyone be concerned about what could possibly concern you? Did you even make a point this whole time?

If for some strange reason it does become a regular problem? We'll adjust with fewer stories, I'm guessing.

Go work for Target or McDonalds then. Flip some burgers. Discuss why some people like cheese to the closest wall that'll listen.