Does Coach Bo and Co finally tear open the Box......

Dude they are not a BLACKSHIRTS defense yet!!!!! How many points a game do they give up???

100% agree with you bud. The blackshirts need stay in the box. You can't give up 35 points and over 400 yards of offense to a mediocre Kansas team (playing at home) and expect to get the shirts. NO WAY.

Dude they are not a BLACKSHIRTS defense yet!!!!! How many points a game do they give up???

100% agree with you bud. The blackshirts need stay in the box. You can't give up 35 points and over 400 yards of offense to a mediocre Kansas team (playing at home) and expect to get the shirts. NO WAY.

As a whole defense, I agree...that is why I like the idea of giving out blackshirts individually...make them earn them, not just get one because they are a starter.

The biggest argument for them to get them that I can see is that these kids are trying. They have improved 100% in the effort area compared to last year. If the OU game had happened last year this defense would have folded. The kids are playing hard against some very good offensive teams. Yes they have given up big yards and plays. I think that the game has evolved to the point where shoot outs will be more common place.

Can our defense get better? Hell yes they can. Are they going to put mind numbing stats up against some of the best offensive teams in the nation and shut them down week after week. Probably not. Look at the defense that Bo had at LSU last year. They gave up some point totals against teams but still prevailed. Our kids on defense have the effort of a Black Shirt Defense now they just need to sustain that effort and play consistant. They are getting better and I say that if they continue to improve they could get them before the colorado game or the bowl game.

I am sure that Bo knows what he wants to see before he hands them out. I also believe that they are getting closer to that level.

Yes i know that there is alot of you out there, and that Bo and staff should not handout blackshirts this year. Lets say they hand'em out for one game(some of you are like what?). Ok then 2 things

1. The team travels down to the little apple and MUST beat the disfunctional purple pepole.

AND

2. If numbers 1 is completed. Its Senior Day the last time for those guys who have put everything on the line this year to make this team better for them, and for us to be proud of, and to me this year they have showed that. So why not?

The biggest argument for them to get them that I can see is that these kids are trying.

How can trying be an argument?? No matter where you are or what you do the least thing you can expect from someone is that he tries. But that certainly cannot be enough to earn a blackshirt. Because then I'd be a freaking blackshirt to cuz I would TRY my f'n butt off if I was a player on this defense. But seriously you wouldn't want me to be blackshirt, I ultimately suck. That said I can see Bo handing them out before the bowl game as a reward for the season, for the progress they made and they are still making just to make a gesture to tell them: Guys you are getting better. But the defense as a whole does not deserve them yet IMO. And I'm not looking for a perfect game that's illusive, I'm looking for some consistency of hearts out, lights out, bad ass play. :steam And when they start playing that way on a regular basis the perception of this defense and this team in general is going to shift from 'We can win this game cuz we know how to score' to 'We can win cuz we can score and actually stop people too'. That's where we need to go. When opponents start to worry about our defense it's time to hand out the blackshirts! :box

Same old story.

Arm tackling, missed assignments, blown coverages so no they dont get them.

I think there is something to be said for the idea that you can't wait until they have one perfect game till you give them out. You might not ever give them out if that's the case.

I think it's too late this season. There probably shouldn't be any Blackshirts in '08.

don't all the senior get blackshirts at the end of a season as a token of respect?

I still say that Blackshirts should be handed out to individuals, one at a time. In my mind, Suh got his today.

Absolutely disagree. They are the 'Blackshirts' (note plural) not Blackshirt. The tradition of the starting D and one or two other significant contributors wearing black during practices is the whole point, hence the term 'Blackshirts Defense'! They were never intended to be handed out to single individuals like a gddmned buckeyes or something. :bonez

I still say that Blackshirts should be handed out to individuals, one at a time. In my mind, Suh got his today.

Absolutely disagree. They are the 'Blackshirts' (note plural) not Blackshirt. The tradition of the starting D and one or two other significant contributors wearing black during practices is the whole point, hence the term 'Blackshirts Defense'! They were never intended to be handed out to single individuals like a gddmned buckeyes or something. :bonez

I know how it all started, but the legend of the Blackshirts has grown since that first practice. After "certain" players on defense last year showed their arse in public about being blackshirts, and how they were so much better than previous Huskers, yadda yadda, I am just kind of against handing them out willy nelly and letting some loudmouth go down to some place like the Brass Rail (and yes, I know it is off limits, but there are other places I am sure they have found since then to party) and start shooting his mouth off without proving anything himself. Until there are enough leaders on defense to police that kind of action, my stance is either don't hand them out at all, or just give them to a few individuals that are showing leadership on defense.

I think there are other players on defense that have stepped up other than just Suh, but I think Suh has up to this point had to grow a little in maturity and learn to control his emotions, but I think he has finally figured some of that out, that is the only reason that I mentioned him specifically.

Taking your view - I would say, don't hand them out. Knowing what I know about Pelini, he won't give them out until its time....and if he decides to hand them out to all the starters, I will support that idea. I support Pelini, and have faith that he is not going to allow any of these kids to take the easy way. Like everyone, I love the tradition of the Blackshirts, but I don't want to see it cheapened as it was in the last few years. I want people to fear Nebraska's Blackshirt defense, and know about it, and it's tradition and what it means - or at least give them a 60 minute crash course on any given Saturday. :horns2

I know how it all started, but the legend of the Blackshirts has grown since that first practice. After "certain" players on defense last year showed their arse in public about being blackshirts, and how they were so much better than previous Huskers, yadda yadda, I am just kind of against handing them out willy nelly and letting some loudmouth go down to some place like the Brass Rail (and yes, I know it is off limits, but there are other places I am sure they have found since then to party) and start shooting his mouth off without proving anything himself. Until there are enough leaders on defense to police that kind of action, my stance is either don't hand them out at all, or just give them to a few individuals that are showing leadership on defense.

I think there are other players on defense that have stepped up other than just Suh, but I think Suh has up to this point had to grow a little in maturity and learn to control his emotions, but I think he has finally figured some of that out, that is the only reason that I mentioned him specifically.

Taking your view - I would say, don't hand them out. Knowing what I know about Pelini, he won't give them out until its time....and if he decides to hand them out to all the starters, I will support that idea. I support Pelini, and have faith that he is not going to allow any of these kids to take the easy way. Like everyone, I love the tradition of the Blackshirts, but I don't want to see it cheapened as it was in the last few years. I want people to fear Nebraska's Blackshirt defense, and know about it, and it's tradition and what it means - or at least give them a 60 minute crash course on any given Saturday. :horns2

I'll agree that Pelini will do the right thing, I have confidence in that. As far as individuals getting them, you and I have hashed through this before and will probably never agree on it. :) But, what fun would it be if we all agreed, all the time? Peace.

I'll agree that Pelini will do the right thing, I have confidence in that. As far as individuals getting them, you and I have hashed through this before and will probably never agree on it. :) But, what fun would it be if we all agreed, all the time? Peace.

Amen brother...but if this team keeps the attitude that they are showing, you may just persuade me to think along your lines. Not there just yet...but I love the heart of this team. A lot of teams would have been down after getting the butt kicking they got last week, and knowing what happened in Kansas last year...but these kids came to play. :clap

I posted a couple of weeks ago that maybe they should be handed out before a bowl game. I still feel that way, after all that was what a lot of us were hoping for this year. Just getting to a bowl game would mean a start to rebuilding the program. Handing them out now might just be a motivator for K.ST, to spoil the significance of them being handed out. You can bet it will be posted for all to see. I may be the only one worried about this game, but I have been all season. Looks like a trap game to me, if the team takes them lightly.

Whether they should have been handed out at the beginning of the season, is a mute point now.

The top defense in the Big 12 is Texas Tech, and their giving up 340+ yards a game going into yesterdays game.

The days of shutting out teams in the Big 12 are over. Giving up 10 to 20+ pt's is probably the best anyone can ask for. When Bo gets his teams in that range, it will BCS time again.

GBR!!!

This year is definitely the year of the QB/Offense in the Big 12. I could see handing out the Blackshirts to the defense before a bowl game. It isn't the fault of these kids that Ped and BC put this program where it was the last 4 years. And for the most part, they have definitely shown the heart and effort, though there have been a lot of mistakes and a lot of catching up to do. But even doing it before the bowl game is more symbolic than anything. It still doesn't mean anything like it should. This defense is getting better, but we have a long ways to go before we will be feared like we once were.

I absolutely disagree with this post. To me, the "Blackshirts" represent players on the team that have the mindset, the mentality of the N defense tradition. The idea is that there would be more than one, but it happens one player at a time ... developing that mindset. From what I understsand, a "buckeye" is handed out as a reward for getting something done in a game ... a pancake block as an example.

However, for the Blackshirts, it's a reward/recognition to show the team and the Nation that this guy represents what Husker D is all about.

I didn't see the game, but sounds like Suh had a great game. I don't have an opinion on who and when, but I do think you reward a player as you see him setting the example of what is expected.

SheepdogMark